U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 08:29 PM

1,345 posts, read 473,130 times

Advertisements

Only two key issues for me. I'm a libertarian leaning conservative (not Republican!) boomer in my mid 50's. Retired military, now work in federal law enforcement technical support.

1- Death Penalty- I used to be "String 'em up!" Now, I am against it. The advent of DNA testing changed my mind. Life imprisonment is better for the really bad ones, IMO. It keeps them out of the populace, and they are still breathing for the "just in case" change in disposition if new evidence happens to become available. With most states having years of automatic appeals and such, the costs to the taxpayer between life in prison vs death penalty really starts to get close to each other. Worth it in my mind. This came as a revelation to me.

2- Gay rights/marriage. I was repulsed in my younger days on a visceral level concerning same sex relations, but slowly over time realized that straight people can do gross things also, and (more importantly) that gay people really had no impact on my life simply because they were gay. I also came to accept that most gay people are born that way, it is not a choice they make. I had also come to personally know quite a few stable, reasonable and friendly gay folks, which also made a difference to me.They are people just like me, but with some differences I can certianly accept. This 180 came to me over time, it was not quick. Caveat: I still do not care for some gay politics though, as it is often aligned with far loony left "victim" nonsense.

That is about it.

Postscript: I liked cats when I was younger, Now I'm a dog guy 100%! Does that count? Dogs are very social.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2017, 10:52 PM

6,624 posts, read 3,690,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
I liked cats when I was younger, Now I'm a dog guy 100%! Does that count? Dogs are very social.
I'm the opposite, I went from dogs to cats because they are so independent.

I have been a steadfast liberal Democrat since the age of six. Before that I was an Eisenhower man...I liked Ike. I switched to Stevenson and never looked back. My parents were relieved.

The only thing I've become more conservative about is drug use because I worked in prison systems for over 20 years and can't see anything good that comes out of it...some will disagree and I guess there are exceptions.

I wouldn't say 180 degrees but I take a much more critical position on the criminal justice industry now than I did before I worked in corrections...especially the part that is elected and panders to voters to keep their jobs. In much of the country that would be prosecutors, sheriffs and judges. In some small towns these people all know each other and socialize or play golf together along with the local probation officer and a few other lawyers. That can't see how that could be a good situation.

Old 07-30-2017, 12:43 AM

10,819 posts, read 8,079,355 times
Interesting question and thread.

What I've got is this: fast approaching 70 y.o, and the 3rd generation of yellow dog democrats and political activists on both the maternal and paternal sides, I'm carrying on the tradition.

The only time in all those years that I felt some dissonance was during the 2008 Dem primary when I was a die-hard Obama supporter who scorned all things Hillary Clinton. I worked hard to defeat her. No regrets.

Then it happened. I doubt there's anyone on this forum who can appreciate how her 2015 congressional testimony made me (and dh and sons) a devoted full supporter.

So yeah, that was totally a 180 degree thing, could have knocked me over with a feather. To this day, I'm with her.

I like dogs and love love cats.

Old 07-30-2017, 01:52 AM

9,841 posts, read 5,503,501 times
The 2nd Amendment.

I grew up where Dad was always saying, "If you want to shoot a rifle like that, join the army!" or "There is no need for a civilian to have a gun like that!" and other such things.

About the time I turned 40, my view had changed, when my arms dealer sold me my first AR-. It was not a cheap purchase, cost me about $1000, and it took him an hour of sales talk to convince me. So perhaps my views were changing a little before that.

Looking back, in analysis, it may have been because I was a psychology minor and was taking all the courses that I could take. My thinking was seriously shifting from that I had grown up under, from how I might have viewed things when I was in the service.

I have become very Constitutionally based. I don't support "Three Strikes and You're Out", I don't think it is right when citizens take the laws into their own hands regardless of the offense, I won't go over the speed limit (well, always been like that, just more firmly dedicated to it), the ends don't justify the means, etc..

Old 07-30-2017, 04:37 AM

5,849 posts, read 8,617,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I've always been conservative and have had no 180 degree turns in my lifetime.
I haven't had a 180 degree turn on any major issue, but I have somewhat evolved over time. I have always leaned conservative, and that continues to be the case. I have always approved of interracial marriages and relationships; I don't think race should matter in this or other circumstances.

Where I have evolved a bit is on economic issues. In the past, I generally had the assumption that we had an economic framework that existed for people to support themselves reasonably well if they made the right decisions and put forth the right effort. Today, I no longer believe that. I think we have allowed our economy to hollow out and sold out a reasonably-sized chunk of our population. We effectively have created a high cost of living economy combined with low wages for many people. I have come to believe that many of the elements of our economy are fundamentally corrupt. The most corrupt areas are the ones with the most government involvement (housing, health care, higher education).

I also used to think that most people could be trusted to make reasonable financial decisions for themselves, given a range of choices. I no longer really believe that. I think most people will borrow as much as they are allowed to, and are pretty short-sighted and unaware of the long term impact of their financial decisions. Unscrupulous lenders have taken advantage of this ignorance.

Old 07-30-2017, 05:04 AM

13,981 posts, read 7,452,675 times
I was very libertarian for most of my life. I grew up upper middle class with professional parents. I spent my career in high tech with smart, engaged people. All I knew was "You can be anything you want if you put your mind to it and work hard for it" because I had every advantage and was surrounded by bright achievers. It took a long time to figure out that somebody born average has none of those advantages and that libertarianism is FYIGM politics. I now consider myself to be a Rockefeller Republican. Of course, that doesn't exist in 2017 where the Republicans are far to the right of me and the Democrats are far to the left of me.

Old 07-30-2017, 07:02 AM

2,446 posts, read 2,078,370 times
At my age I will not attempt an 180 degree turn as I fear something on my body will snap!

Old 07-30-2017, 07:27 AM

2,133 posts, read 1,803,746 times
If I had to label myself it would Constitutionalist Libertarian, that being said, I almost always vote Republican and have been a super voter since age 18. I have not made any 180* turns in my life. I have always tried to make the best decisions I could, always tried to do the right thing, always treated others with respect unless they showed they should be treated otherwise. Never have I been a racist, homophobe, religiously intolerant, or an elitist(being raised poor made this particularly easy).

Of course, I have made my share of mistakes and done my best to learn from them and the mistakes of others so that I do not repeat them, I enjoy sharing what I have learned with those younger than I in hope they can avoid making those same mistakes. I am one who tries to improve things around me and others for everyone's benefit when possible to do so, without harm or offense.

Old 07-30-2017, 08:04 AM

13,321 posts, read 6,375,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I was very libertarian for most of my life. I grew up upper middle class with professional parents. I spent my career in high tech with smart, engaged people. All I knew was "You can be anything you want if you put your mind to it and work hard for it" because I had every advantage and was surrounded by bright achievers. It took a long time to figure out that somebody born average has none of those advantages and that libertarianism is FYIGM politics. I now consider myself to be a Rockefeller Republican. Of course, that doesn't exist in 2017 where the Republicans are far to the right of me and the Democrats are far to the left of me.
I can tell you, my brother who was born below average in intelligence and he has done phenomenallly well, better than some of his intelligent siblings. In fact years ago, when he was surrounded by bright achievers who were friends of my sister, they used to make fun of him that he went to 2-year community college. In fact he was fired from his first job at a gas station, first job after college because he was way below average. You never know how your life is going to turn out. Keep plodding along. He has very nice personality and many people helped him along the way.

Old 07-30-2017, 08:21 AM

9,013 posts, read 7,774,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeriously View Post
I've been a liberal all my life, now more so.
Same here. The difference as I age is I do not wear my heart on my sleeve yet I do not hide it either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement