U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2017, 08:37 AM

15,232 posts, read 8,523,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I was an ardent feminist from the age of 16: employment choices, sexual freedom, educational freedom, equal pay for equal work, and freedom to make life choices.

I wouldn't have ever thought I would disavow feminism, but I do now. Current day feminists embarrass the hell out of me. I couldn't have ever imagined even 10 years ago I would ever feel this way about feminism.
Funny..feminism seems very in the shadows compared to the 70's..it is indeed popular to disavow it now even though the core principles have never changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 09:45 AM
mlb

3,179 posts, read 2,855,355 times
I would love to know who the current day feminists are who are embarrassing.

Are some of them men? Are they the first wave of 70's feminists who are now in their 70's?

Many of the young women I know in their 30's have taken for granted what feminism did for them long ago.

Their lives would not be so entitled if it were not for the struggles of the women that came before them.

Old 07-30-2017, 11:35 AM

1,345 posts, read 469,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Where I have evolved a bit is on economic issues. In the past, I generally had the assumption that we had an economic framework that existed for people to support themselves reasonably well if they made the right decisions and put forth the right effort. Today, I no longer believe that. I think we have allowed our economy to hollow out and sold out a reasonably-sized chunk of our population. We effectively have created a high cost of living economy combined with low wages for many people. I have come to believe that many of the elements of our economy are fundamentally corrupt. The most corrupt areas are the ones with the most government involvement (housing, health care, higher education).
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I also used to think that most people could be trusted to make reasonable financial decisions for themselves, given a range of choices. I no longer really believe that. I think most people will borrow as much as they are allowed to, and are pretty short-sighted and unaware of the long term impact of their financial decisions. Unscrupulous lenders have taken advantage of this ignorance.
These two statements you have made seem to conflict with each other somewhat, at least to me.

I would agree with you that far too many Americans are leveraged in debt they do not need. McMansions, cars beyond what they need, home appliances they dont need, college debt in disciplines that do not make sense or have a good ROI, etc....
People need to live with their decisions and not look to others for bailouts. Part of this is understanding the economy we work within.

One exception I have is for the elderly and truly infirm. Everybody gets old, and you cannot plan for an accident or disease that takes away your ability to support yourself.

Old 07-30-2017, 11:39 AM

12,588 posts, read 15,054,657 times
I was raised in a very conservative, right leaning household. Father is a ex-US Army veteran and supports the Republican party. We were raised this way until I saw different views, while attending college.

I see both sides now and support some views on both sides.

Old 07-30-2017, 11:46 AM

23,738 posts, read 8,251,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I was raised in a very conservative, right leaning household. Father is a ex-US Army veteran and supports the Republican party. We were raised this way until I saw different views, while attending college.

I see both sides now and support some views on both sides.
All our family is of general liberal minds, and I can't think of any who were in the military. I'm a pacifist so I can't support much of that military industrial complex. All parties have their share of hypocrisy along with religion.

Old 07-30-2017, 12:22 PM

3,436 posts, read 1,531,248 times
Growing up nave in a professional, successful family, I assumed our justice system was the best and fairest, and would perform as it is represented: pursuing the truth.

In the past couple of decades, I have seen all around me, and in my own life, that that ideal is a fantasy. The justice system is corrupt and sold off to the highest bidder.

Also I was raised to believe if you are a loyal, trustworthy, reliable, high-performing employee, you will be rewarded as such.

Never mind politicians having the best interests of their constituents in mind!

I have done a complete 180 on these antiquated concepts.

Old 07-30-2017, 12:53 PM

15,216 posts, read 4,018,099 times
I learned about our Justice system at age 16 when I watched a few cop take the stand and flat out lie. That as IT for me.

I was also taken to jail just after I turned 18 (pot) and they put me in the jail where there was a scared black teen who had been caught smoking a J in the alley. I got let out - he didn't.

If I had to think of an 180 it would be on the usefulness of many non-profits. A vast percentage of them are started to be cash flow setups for those who run them (get grants, pay and outfit themselves well and lie about how many people you were serving). I saw this even in Boys and Girls Clubs and orgs of that level.

Of course, Churches and religion are part and parcel of this...taking money from the state (tax deductible) and well meaning donors and using it to enrich themselves and build power bases.

There are exceptions...but I'd say more good for society can be done by actual real businesses..than non-profits.

Thinking even further, earlier in my life I felt that the world would be saved by largely rejecting technology and materialism. Now I'd say the only hope we have is efficiency and technology...and that such things (clean energy, etc.) are needed to save us - not going back to the land and living in hovels.

Old 07-30-2017, 01:35 PM

1,060 posts, read 489,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
I would love to know who the current day feminists are who are embarrassing.

Are some of them men? Are they the first wave of 70's feminists who are now in their 70's?

Many of the young women I know in their 30's have taken for granted what feminism did for them long ago.

Their lives would not be so entitled if it were not for the struggles of the women that came before them.

This.

Old 07-30-2017, 02:41 PM

18,352 posts, read 23,523,787 times
when i got my first paychecks and saw how much was deducted........ and the party of tax and spend and redistribution are the democrats...

thats when i started leaning right

same thing happened to my son....

Old 07-30-2017, 03:00 PM

2,524 posts, read 995,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Funny..feminism seems very in the shadows compared to the 70's..it is indeed popular to disavow it now even though the core principles have never changed.
Feminism itself has done a 180, from its original core principals of getting society to give females fair and equal treatment to emasculating males to the point that they feel the need to act like females themselves, to even get a date.

Men are now treated with the same "control" females struggled to eliminate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement