U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2017, 09:49 AM

2,952 posts, read 1,639,396 times

Advertisements

I'm the age where women can retire (60) , have no interest. We own our own business and are expanding into another area.
I'm actually taking better care of myself, people guess me at 42 to 45. Been diligent about staying out of the sun. Its pays off.
I want to work till I'm 75, not unusual in our field. Many never retire. Can't believe I get paid for what I do, why give it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 02:38 PM

13,235 posts, read 6,335,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
My husband and I are both fit and slim and we like it that way. He never, ever gains weight and can eat what he wants. I tend to gain, and have recently lost 30 lbs. I was going in the wroooong direction with weight and we are now eating low carb high fat diet which has done wonders for our vitality. He is 71, I will be 62 this year.

We talk about this subject occasionally-how we are in the minority for our age group - fit, slim, healthy, no meds, exercise regularly, eat a whole foods, good diet.

But then, I don't see too many obese 70 year olds out there. They die, that's why.
It's true, in my bridge club, they are all slim. Not a single fat one.

Old 08-02-2017, 03:07 AM

19,811 posts, read 19,910,927 times
5' 2" or 3", 120 and 74 yrs old.
As most of us know,beyond a certain age, the first added pounds migrate right to the gut.
About 5 years ago, after being used to never having to worry about what or how I ate, I had gained 20 extra and did deliberately lose it but that belly never cooperated fully and will never be flat again.
And yeah, a part of it was becoming a lot less active.
I watch my weight in a fairly casual manner but will work at it as soon as I can feel that "obstruction" when sitting down and bending forward and when my clothes all fit fine except wanting to leave my pants unbuttoned. I hate that!
That includes cutting out anything that causes bloating.
I'd really like an extra 5 lbs but , damn it, I can't get it to go where I want it to go.

As far as what's insinuated in the thread title, I do care for my own sake but will not deny it's also because I do care about how I look.

Old 08-03-2017, 04:09 PM

21,867 posts, read 14,390,517 times
For me it a continuation of my mostly futile battle of the bulge. I usually eat what i think is normal. I don't eat a lot of sweets or highly processed snack foods. But I will put on weight if I don't watch carbs. And I get so tired of always watching carbs.

I am mobile though. I walk a mile plus at the community center 2 or 3 times a week. And I work out using the resistance machines. I am breathing fine.

But I hate that I have to be so strict with myself dietarily. So, I let up sometimes. And then I gain weight.

Old 08-04-2017, 07:40 AM

285 posts, read 141,809 times
Looking around the crowd at Walmart, I'd say most people don't care about their weight pre-retirement. America is the land of the arrogant sweat hog. Ever eat with a fat person at a Chinese buffet? They sure don't go for the trays of stir fry and green beans. Everything on their plates are either fried or otherwise saturated with grease. It's disgusting.

Old 08-09-2017, 08:17 PM

10 posts, read 4,719 times
I am in Greenville and have joined planet fitness but need a partner to help inspire me to go. I'm retired and have notice that I don't care about my looks any more. I want my self back.

Old 08-09-2017, 11:12 PM

13,235 posts, read 6,335,450 times
I thought about this thread when I received an invitation to a wedding. I know have an incentive to get in one of the dress and look good. Plus I need to buy some make up for the wedding. I threw mine away a few years ago. Time to doll up and look decent for the wedding. It's like a mini family reunion. I haven't seen these people for nearly 10 years. I better give a long lasting impression. Haha

Old 08-10-2017, 06:51 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,581,162 times
I like to fit into my clothes. Not be stuffed like a sausage
My older styles are retro now so I like to wear them

Also eating too much makes me ill

Old 08-11-2017, 11:38 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,744,100 times
Haven't read the thread, as I am male and would have nothing to contribute, but I am reminded of the following little story: A man says to a woman, "Say, I heard you lost 15 pounds! Uh, turn around, I think I've located them!"

Old 08-11-2017, 12:41 PM

31,680 posts, read 19,984,454 times
Just the opposite. Now I have more time to exercise and home cook.

It's not just an issue of attractiveness, it's an issue of health. I want to enjoy my retirement for a long time.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or