U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 12:36 PM

71,969 posts, read 83,640,243 times

Advertisements

wow, ok, I have always battled my weight and yet been fairly until a few years ago. I am guessing, it was about the time I retired from my full time job, which was 1999 that I said, to heck with it. I am what I am. I know I could lose about 50 lbs and still be healthy. I know if I did I really wouldn't look any better than I do now. For those who think losing weight after a certain age makes you look better: BULL!! I know a lot of women, who recently have lost a lot of weight also look about 10 years older.

So for me, the answer is: I did give up. I also wear less make up, rarely wear dresses even to church and have even been known not to wear a bra when I am at home. I wear knee high nylons in the winter to church, otherwise never have anything on my feet except tennis shoes or sandals.

I will say one thing, it is rare anyone sees me without ear rings on and face foundation. And when I do go out I try to look decent for sure, wearing clothes that hide some of that over sized belly cause that is where 80% of my excess weight is, there and my 'ASS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 12:37 PM

14,242 posts, read 44,919,845 times
I'm a man and not retired yet, but, I do care how I look. Not so much for attracting a date anymore (married) but I have to have some self-respect when I look in the mirror. Trying to hit the gym at least 3X per week, do 20 to 30 minutes on an elliptical at least. Trying to get back into weight training as well. I'm 59.

"Letting yourself go" weight wise is, just to be blunt, suicide by diabetes for most if not all. Several uncles on my mom's side got fat as pigs in their 60's. They never saw their 70's. Man, woman, dog, or cat - all the same. Get fat in old age, get diabetes. It's like you ordered it.

Did not help that most of those uncles drank way too much cheap beer, say a case a day, and smoked cigarettes to go with it. That case of beer is way too much carbs, forget about the alcohol. Although the alcohol did not do them any good either. Not to say that a rack of Sam Adams daily would have been much better health wise, but at least it's good beer.

Old 07-28-2017, 01:02 PM

6,580 posts, read 1,357,711 times
So many great replies here! Thanks to everyone who has "weighed in" so far!

Old 07-28-2017, 01:31 PM

2,524 posts, read 996,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Since I've retired, I have become increasingly more inclined to not worry about my weight as long as I FEEL good (or at least healthy). In other words, I am no longer as concerned with even trying to look good. There are three reasons for this: First, the thinner I am, the older my skin looks; second, it is hard to be motivated now when I look old no matter what I do or how much I weigh; and third, as I am finding fewer and fewer things I enjoy doing now, it is difficult for me to say No to desserts and snacks and seconds if I feel hungry. In short, my motivation to even try to look "attractive" is completely shot.

Do any of you feel this way? And if not, how do YOU stay motivated to be as attractive as you can be?
A resounding yes to all you said.

From ages 14-49 I was rather a headturner. Image and appearance was a very important thing to me, I always wore heels/high shoes, fabulous fine jewelry, nails professionally done weekly (for decades), dressed fashionably and to showcase my assets.

Then menopause (2012).

Gained 35lbs (I am only 5'1" and delicate framed so on me that is a lot), lost my sex drive and stopped seeking relationships (for which I am ill suited anyhow, and should've realized decades ago).

I now wear clothes and shoes (CROCS!) I used to strongly disparage and I look like a dumpy and frumpy schoolmarm. I am so OK with that, I cannot begin to tell you (age 54).

Old 07-28-2017, 01:56 PM

588 posts, read 344,870 times
I have to stay within a healthy weight because of my pre-diabeties.

That being said my parents never gained weight and I think that helps me in the way I eat. Learned at a young age.

Plus I have a boyfriend that does not have an ounce of fat on him....military. JEEZ and he can eat anything he wants at almost 70 yrs of age.

He doesn't think I eat enough. Yea, ever heard of menopausal weight gain! I am not thin, really. If I ate like him I would be a blimp.

I am losing my hair. Genetics. BF shaves his head (what is left of the hair)....I wonder if he would object if I were to shave my head.

I am looking at wigs but JEEZ again! Sucks.

I do like wearing dresses, though. And I do wear makeup. Not a lot but the foundation is crucial for skin protection from the sun.

Haven't worn shoes higher than three inches in 10 years and I don't do it everyday! Oh, remember when? Clarks all the way now!

Skinny leggings and tunics are my go to-s now. Comfortable and hides a lot of sins.

Old 07-28-2017, 02:01 PM

4,760 posts, read 3,194,794 times
I had always been on the thin side. When I first moved in with Hubby, I gained 20 lbs. A lot of people were surprised that I gained that much and said that I looked good. I guess I was WAY underweight before moving in with him.

Then menopause.

I gained 25 lbs. I am 5'2" so I understand that one lb really shows.

I started TRYING to lose it. I did manage to lose 10 lbs but I can't seem to lose any more.

As for my clothes-I used to wear jeans & a tee shirt (or a sweater in winter). No make-up, no jewelry-unless it was a special occasion. As my weight went up and up and up, my jeans got tighter and tighter and tighter. Before moving in with Hubby, I wore a size 7. Then I went up to a size 8. Soon size 10 were tight and finally size 12. I REFUSE to go up to a size 14. But, I discovered dresses. They are not tight like my jeans are and very comfy. So, that is what I wear. And if I go out, I do put on some jewelry-still no make-up unless it is a special occasion. But, I still wear my jeans in the winter.

I don't really eat a lot. Usually, I will have a boiled egg for breakfast, an apple with peanut butter for lunch and whatever the "chef" makes for dinner (protein, starch, veggies which is usually a salad). Dessert is usually oranges. And we have a thing of lite yogurt later. Once in a while, we will have some junk like chips, ice cream but rarely. And I drink tea all day (caffeine in the morning and herbal or decafe in the afternoon)-no sugar. So, you can see I don't eat a lot but still can't lose the weight. I know, I should be exercising more. I TRY. I will start a program but never stick with it.

Even though I am not as thin as I used to be, I feel attractive. Maybe it has something to do with the dresses that I wear. I am really not trying to impress anyone. But, I think when I walk down the street, I still can turn some heads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverItAll View Post
A resounding yes to all you said.

From ages 14-49 I was rather a headturner. Image and appearance was a very important thing to me, I always wore heels/high shoes, fabulous fine jewelry, nails professionally done weekly (for decades), dressed fashionably and to showcase my assets.

Then menopause (2012).

Gained 35lbs (I am only 5'1" and delicate framed so on me that is a lot), lost my sex drive and stopped seeking relationships (for which I am ill suited anyhow, and should've realized decades ago).

I now wear clothes and shoes (CROCS!) I used to strongly disparage and I look like a dumpy and frumpy schoolmarm. I am so OK with that, I cannot begin to tell you (age 54).
This sounds a lot like my story.

Cat

Old 07-28-2017, 02:05 PM

14,242 posts, read 44,919,845 times
You know, to me, a gal who is up in her 50's or more, yet makes the effort to remain "hot", is more impressive than a 20's gal who is hot regardless of what she does or eats.

Examples, famous and not, are out there.

And the same thing, really, for guys. Maybe I will leave work early today so I can hit the gym again.

I will admit, it "ain't fair". An older guy who stays lean and in shape, if he's losing hair just shave that head, unless you have the face of Elephant Man he is easy in the top 25% for attractiveness. But a gal who is losing hair (although there is Rogaine for women out there, OK?) is in a tighter bind, depending on where she tends to accumulate any extra weight, can be caught between being thin and older looking, or filled out but in the wrong places (to attract most men).

Old 07-28-2017, 02:08 PM

2,524 posts, read 996,252 times
Catwoman, eff those jeans, LEGGINGS are where it's at. I wore size 8 jeans for like 30 years. When I grew out of them I started with the leggings and YES dresses and long matronly skirts!

With a BIG blouse/sweater, hides everything!

I wore my fruit print Crocs today Cute af. Unsexy af.
#IEmbraceHagdom

Old 07-28-2017, 02:23 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,058,509 times
I stay thin for health reasons. It's nice at age 67 not to need any prescription drugs.

Old 07-28-2017, 02:28 PM

6,316 posts, read 5,058,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
I had always been on the thin side. When I first moved in with Hubby, I gained 20 lbs. A lot of people were surprised that I gained that much and said that I looked good. I guess I was WAY underweight before moving in with him.

Then menopause.

I gained 25 lbs. I am 5'2" so I understand that one lb really shows.

I started TRYING to lose it. I did manage to lose 10 lbs but I can't seem to lose any more.

As for my clothes-I used to wear jeans & a tee shirt (or a sweater in winter). No make-up, no jewelry-unless it was a special occasion. As my weight went up and up and up, my jeans got tighter and tighter and tighter. Before moving in with Hubby, I wore a size 7. Then I went up to a size 8. Soon size 10 were tight and finally size 12. I REFUSE to go up to a size 14. But, I discovered dresses. They are not tight like my jeans are and very comfy. So, that is what I wear. And if I go out, I do put on some jewelry-still no make-up unless it is a special occasion. But, I still wear my jeans in the winter.

I don't really eat a lot. Usually, I will have a boiled egg for breakfast, an apple with peanut butter for lunch and whatever the "chef" makes for dinner (protein, starch, veggies which is usually a salad). Dessert is usually oranges. And we have a thing of lite yogurt later. Once in a while, we will have some junk like chips, ice cream but rarely. And I drink tea all day (caffeine in the morning and herbal or decafe in the afternoon)-no sugar. So, you can see I don't eat a lot but still can't lose the weight. I know, I should be exercising more. I TRY. I will start a program but never stick with it.

Even though I am not as thin as I used to be, I feel attractive. Maybe it has something to do with the dresses that I wear. I am really not trying to impress anyone. But, I think when I walk down the street, I still can turn some heads.

This sounds a lot like my story.

Cat
Get your thyroid checked
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or