U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 05:15 PM

3,930 posts, read 4,701,054 times

Advertisements

I think we spent less when DH was able to do some repairs himself...before he became very disabled. Also, handyman type help is more expensive now than it used to be. I don't think you can really know beforehand how much you'll need. **** happens...and such plans are not one-size-fits-all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2017, 07:06 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,200,766 times
My savings rate in retirement is nowhere near my working years. I'm traveling in an RV round the state of Florida as well around the country and spending at a much higher rate than when I was busy working.

Old 07-29-2017, 08:30 PM

7,612 posts, read 4,680,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
My savings rate in retirement is nowhere near my working years. I'm traveling in an RV round the state of Florida as well around the country and spending at a much higher rate than when I was busy working.
What are you spending the most money on, if you don't mind me asking?

Old 07-29-2017, 09:09 PM

10,812 posts, read 8,056,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I don't see where anyone can claim they spend more since retiring unless they choose to take one trip on top of another.
Travel indeed accounts for a great deal of our increased spending.
But even when not traveling, we eat out and attend cultural events all the time and we go for the high $ seats and offerings, something we never did while working. We frequently buy extra tickets and invite guests. If an event happens outside Fayetteville - even as close as in Bentonville - we'll stay overnight rather than drive home.
We sign up for yearly memberships to just about every organization we come across that appeals to us, especially if it's a 501c3. Those memberships provide opportunities for additional donations and spending.

Don't even ask me how much I spend on farmers' market fresh flowers. I don't bother to track it. Prior to retiring, I don't recall ever buying fresh flowers for our home except on Xmas and Thanksgiving. Now they're an addiction.

During all our working years, we squeezed every dollar until it hollered and we were the king and queen of frugal. We clipped coupons, we debated and agonized over every non-essential expenditure.
Now we're living the good life.

Last edited by biscuitmom; 07-29-2017 at 09:20 PM..

Old 07-29-2017, 11:56 PM

6,756 posts, read 3,854,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Travel indeed accounts for a great deal of our increased spending.
But even when not traveling, we eat out and attend cultural events all the time and we go for the high $ seats and offerings, something we never did while working. We frequently buy extra tickets and invite guests. If an event happens outside Fayetteville - even as close as in Bentonville - we'll stay overnight rather than drive home.
We sign up for yearly memberships to just about every organization we come across that appeals to us, especially if it's a 501c3. Those memberships provide opportunities for additional donations and spending.

Don't even ask me how much I spend on farmers' market fresh flowers. I don't bother to track it. Prior to retiring, I don't recall ever buying fresh flowers for our home except on Xmas and Thanksgiving. Now they're an addiction.

During all our working years, we squeezed every dollar until it hollered and we were the king and queen of frugal. We clipped coupons, we debated and agonized over every non-essential expenditure.
Now we're living the good life.

Sounds like you deserve the easy life finally!

Old 07-30-2017, 12:03 AM

10,812 posts, read 8,056,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Sounds like you deserve the easy life finally!
Laissez les bons temps rouler!

Old 07-30-2017, 05:43 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,200,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Gasoline, rv spots, new tires for tow and rv. I do most cooking though while RVing (seems like I'm always buying groceries). I recently picked up a Honda generator to run the a/c if I boondock (rare).. Rv spots cost $20-40/night.

When I'm not traveling, I spend money on entertainment......nfl, mlb, nhl, orchestra, Broadway season tickets. Not complaining. Just didn't do all of this when working.

New hobbies as well....running, biking, kayaking, fishing takes $. I am golfing much, much less mostly due to boredom from the sport. Golf green fees were getting outrageous where I live in Fl.

Old 07-30-2017, 08:24 AM

2,427 posts, read 1,664,703 times
We will have many added expenses when DH retires.

He's had a company car for > 30 years, so we've had no second car expenses (cash outlay or payments, insurance, registration, maintenance) and were allowed personal use too, keeping the mileage down on my cars. The bigger portion of our internet is paid along with his phone and its monthly bill. We use hotel, frequent flyer mileage and car rental points he accumulates on business trips for our personal trips or we gift the points we don't use.

We'll be picking up those costs, but they are the reasons we've been able to save for retirement too. Right now we are in retirement prep mode: replacing or adding big ticket items to the house before he retires in 2 1/2 years.

Whether we spend more than expected in retirement remains to be seen. Whether it's more or less won't matter. If we don't have the money, we don't spend it. That won't change.

Last edited by jean_ji; 07-30-2017 at 08:41 AM..

Old 07-30-2017, 08:55 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,545 posts, read 39,924,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
traveling in an RV ... and spending at a much higher rate than when I was busy working.

so true... working 24x7 = no time to spend - OTOH... GOING places whenever / wherever I like = lots of time to spend!

Even in our 20 mpg RV, fuel alone can be $80 - $100 / day, then ... camping spots, maint, tolls (ferries, bridges, and turnpikes + food and 'entrance fees' = $100 / day.

I spend a lot more / day retired than when working (To say nothing of the $2000+ / month HC that USED to be FREE...) (retired 13 yrs and still a ways until age 65)

Driving and travel has increased 5 - 10x since retirement. (for the time being... not forever)
Concerts, happy hours, entertainment venues, eating out, interesting learning opportunities, helping people in need, Health care needs, and fixing stuff has all increased dramatically since I am NOT sequestered to the factory. Unfortunately, our home that is taxed so high that we 're-buy' it every 6 yrs via property taxes has aged a lot...(property taxes up 400% since retirement, on the same ole worn out house and occupants) needs New roof, new driveway (1/4 mile long + circular), New water Heaters, Well Service, ...
and 40 yr old cars just may breakdown some day? (hopefully not)

It's not looking like the spending will decrease anytime soon.

Fueling the economy!

Old 07-30-2017, 09:10 AM

2,747 posts, read 990,097 times
I'm a few years from retirement but in my calculations I am not looking at spending less when I do retire. As many have Sid earlier I'm looking forward to doing things that I have not done while working and saving. I'm not a big spender but will not skimp as long as it fits my budget and I get enjoyment in it. Life is short so do things you want to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or