U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 11:26 AM

31,654 posts, read 19,968,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I'd say MOST of you here have high roof over your head expenses that begin to own you...owning house, taxes, repairs etc etc...thank goodness I got rid of the only condo I owned as a single person way back 5 yrs after it "bought me".
I'd say that has been a small price to pay for the increase in equity. Though I'm not sure what a "high" roof is?

The majority of my money has come from an increase in equity.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 11:37 AM

23,747 posts, read 8,259,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I'd say that has been a small price to pay for the increase in equity. Though I'm not sure what a "high" roof is?

The majority of my money has come from an increase in equity.
Scratch the word High, I mean roof over their heads. Often down the road when one gets very old, they can't keep up with house repairs, taxes etc. My parents were there when they died in their 90's.

All my friends in their 80's+ complain about the upkeep of their big houses or even smaller houses. My good friend just turned 80 and owns in Palm Desert and her taxes are high, fees for her community, A/C etc etc...but she keeps living there and talks about her struggles, says she'd love to sell and go into apt but never does. So...all choices.

Old 08-01-2017, 11:52 AM

31,654 posts, read 19,968,456 times
Quote:
Scratch the word High, I mean roof over their heads. Often down the road when one gets very old, they can't keep up with house repairs, taxes etc. My parents were there when they died in their 90's.

All my friends in their 80's+ complain about the upkeep of their big houses or even smaller houses. My good friend just turned 80 and owns in Palm Desert and her taxes are high, fees for her community, A/C etc etc...but she keeps living there and talks about her struggles, says she'd love to sell and go into apt but never does. So...all choices.

When I am that age I will probably buy a townhouse or something with less maintenance, IF they will accept my large dog.

Your friend may complain, but it is her choice to be there, so obviously it doesn't bother her that much.

I like the thought of downsizing, and would if I were alone. Heck, I tried to get DH to downsize on THIS house, but he liked the bigger ones better. Now if he would just work less so he can do more maintenance.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 08-01-2017, 12:17 PM

23,747 posts, read 8,259,495 times
My last words were .. all choices.

Old 08-01-2017, 02:13 PM

13,227 posts, read 6,331,374 times
Have you heard of hired help?

Old 08-01-2017, 04:10 PM

29,779 posts, read 34,867,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
And/or having enough money to pay for.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:17 PM

13,227 posts, read 6,331,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
And/or having enough money to pay for.
That's the definition of hired help. You have to have money to get the help.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:37 PM

30,682 posts, read 49,449,101 times
Quote:
... All my friends in their 80's+ complain about the upkeep of their big houses or even smaller houses. My good friend just turned 80 and owns in Palm Desert and her taxes are high, fees for her community, A/C etc etc...but she keeps living there and talks about her struggles, says she'd love to sell and go into apt but never does. So...all choices.
Of all the people who own homes in the in the Coachella Valley, do you think any of them have low home prices? low taxes? HOA fees? or low utilities costs from running their A/Cs?

There are plenty of places your friend could move to and pay 1/4 as much.

The same goes for apartment dwelling as for being a home-owner. There is no guarantee that either is less expensive. I have owned a lot of apartments.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:40 PM
Q44

895 posts, read 765,904 times
On another recent thread many posters said the choice to not have children was the 'biggest decision they got right'.

We did have kids, 3 of them and that's how and why I know we'll spend less in retirement BUT we'll spend more on ourselves. The costs involved in raising 3 kids- and I wouldn't change a thing have been pretty high. Right now I'm in the middle of offspring #2's college tuition. She has a pretty good scholarship so not too bad. Youngest goes next year and I have much of it set aside so as not to interfere with our retirement plans.

People say they won't need as much because they're no longer saving at the same rate or paying in to social security but the real savings comes after the kids move on.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:33 AM

1,387 posts, read 690,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
They do wonders. Cleaning people, dog walkers, yard people, pedicure people. This is living!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or