U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 01:01 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,173,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I have a dear friend, 50+ y.o., who has a wonderful husband, 4 great kids, and a successful career, yet to this day considers the moment she first heard a Prince song as the single most transforming moment in her life.
I never "got" his music but I'm in awe that any music can play such a powerful part in someone's life.
I was in my Freshman year of college and one of the people on my hall spun some Prince for me ... I knew then and there I was onto something incredibly unique. A couple years later a whole bunch of us went to see Purple Rain during the first week in the theaters. I did not get to see him live until 2000. Glad I got the opportunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 03:02 PM

775 posts, read 781,166 times
Disco.

Old 07-31-2017, 03:08 PM

662 posts, read 481,658 times
60s & 70s rock mostly (no heavy metal), with Joan Jett and Heart at the top of the list, but also classical, some folk.

I too find music to be a powerful thing in my life.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:35 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,448,787 times
Industrial Metal, particularly German, symphonic and Viking. I am actually in an industrial metal video, Diverje's 'We Still remain'. Not bad for a 66 yr old woman.

I LOVE Combi Christ -saw him live in El Paso last year. (also LOVE Rammstein and Megaherz - and so many more)

Then, having been a professional dancer/instructor, I still listen to middle-eastern and dance around still. And every now and then, disco and 80's dance.

Don't listen to classical anymore - since I can't dance ballet anymore, it only depresses me.

All music should be played really loud so it rattles the windows in their frames. Love my old 1968 Akai stereo system that works perfectly still. Far out man! (and all that)

Old 08-03-2017, 04:33 AM

297 posts, read 151,099 times
Default ...My Music - Loggins & Messina...

RocknRoll.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:30 AM

2,442 posts, read 1,680,623 times
Rock and roll, jazz, some alternative and techno, classical, no country western, but some blue grass.

One of the guys I worked with made rhe best playlists that we would listen to while working. He put a lot of time and effort into his playlists and I appreciated it.

Now I listen to most music on my Amazon Echo now and have a large music library with my prime membership, I rarely use iTunes anymore. The result is, I can say "Echo play me some music" and she knows exactly what I want to listen to. I bought the Echo Show for the kitchen. The best part is most of the songs have the lyrics on the screen and I can actually sing the correct words now instead of making them up and petering out. DH remarked the other day how happy I seem to be when I have it on. And I am!

My car is a 2007 and has a CD player. We went on a Mini run with our old Mini years ago in the Jim Thorpe area of PA. The organizers gave out a CD with driving songs to all the participants. I put in my car and didn't think about it. Fast forward a few years, I'm playing it for my grandkids a lot.

It has the "Beep Beep" song about the caddy and a little Nash Rambler, it's the most requested.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bMErG-idop4

Then the theme song from the original Italian job movie, Getta Bloomin' Move On! (The Self Preservation Society),

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FJD1c4tdtOQ

Put the Body in Motion which usually has the car rocking at stoplights

http://youtube.com/watch?v=382__JjPh14

The Ride of the Valkeryies which we loudly do a lot of dramatic bump-a-bah-bump-ahs to

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V92OBNsQgxU

and finally The Long Way Home by Super Tramp. Interestingly, I can't find the original recording on YouTube.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=kGAeTJC-y6Y

Who knew this CD would be used and loved so much?

Last edited by jean_ji; 08-03-2017 at 08:49 AM..

Old 08-05-2017, 09:20 AM

5,188 posts, read 3,520,692 times
1950s mainstream rock 'n' roll is still my true love: Presley, Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, Fats Domino, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Ricky Nelson, Carl Perkins .....

Happy to say that I caught most of their acts live, back in the day.

Old 08-05-2017, 09:48 AM

186 posts, read 109,780 times
1950's to 1985 . This all came from listen to WCBS FM , I loved their top 500 during holidays . Best period of music ever in my opinion. Elvis was the best for me.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:15 AM

72,114 posts, read 83,786,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retired58 View Post
1950's to 1985 . This all came from listen to WCBS FM , I loved their top 500 during holidays . Best period of music ever in my opinion. Elvis was the best for me.
can't go forward to the 80s music but 50, 60s and some 70s are great. From the rock and roll days and even before to the wonderful folk music of the 60s and yes, the early 70s. I think the best for me was Nat King Cole. The day he died I spent the majority of the day just listening to his music and feeling so sad. Then, of course some of the great groups of the 60s, like Mamma's and the Pappas. and Peter paul and Mary plus, not to forget the Kingston trio and Fat's Domino. Also the late 60s brought the first of some really great country and western stars like Glen Campbell and Marty Robbins and the beginning of artists like Kenny Rogers. Of course I could go on and on, there were so many.

Later music didn't appeal to me at all, not after the 70 or early 80s. I am showing my age, Prince, Michael Jackson, none of them.

Our favorite oldies station was just sold about a month ago and the new owners are still playing the old music, at least in their minds, but it is more 80s and 90s or flip sides of recordings that never made it. I am so disappointed.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:51 AM

530 posts, read 539,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
A lot of country music nowadays has some rock in it.
... I'd say that most of today's Country Music has a lot of Rock Music in it! mostly 6-string, amplified electric guitars.
"Real" Country Music has the pedal steel guitar and fiddle(s) in it. For example: https://youtu.be/3BspXu6UFaU

There's very little of either of those types of instruments in today's so-called "Country" Music. ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or