U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 02:31 PM

37,130 posts, read 45,641,400 times

Advertisements

Of course, The Beach Boys. My childhood friend became a radio personality and was a friend of The Beach Boys. He is no longer with us, but every time I hear the BBs I think of him, and what a fun person he was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2017, 02:32 PM

605 posts, read 556,658 times
Dixieland, listened to Red Nichols and his 5 Little Pennies on a phonograph, it was an LP/vinyl, just yesterday, as well as country artist Don Williams while my granddaughter and I worked on a jigsaw puzzle.

Daddy play professionally, coronet, trumpet in the 1930's till 1959. Self taught on the piano/organ, a white soul man. Remember him arranging music in the 1950's, when he played on the weekends. He wrote music like one writes a letter. 1970, got his lip back, played with the combo at my wedding---Laura !

Old time rock 'n roll, gospel, classical, bluegrass. Enjoyed the Highway Men, saw Ray Charles in person several times, Johnny Cash, June and John Jr. at a concert. Oh! The Mills Bros. In San Francisco, they were appearing at the Fairmont Hotel, when they started singing a second song, everyone in the audience started singing with them. Harry Mills said after the song "What is this, Sing Along With Mitch?" Much laughter. We all knew the lyrics to their songs.

Mama enjoyed as well as Papa all genre of music, she belonged to a record club. Hawaiian, Spanish (Flamenco), Strauss---

KSQM, volunteer radio station one can listen to on the computer !

Old 07-29-2017, 02:47 PM

6,578 posts, read 3,667,513 times
Well, I'm in a coffee shop and the man sitting next to me is singing to himself. I don't 'prefer' that. There is some very good current music out there that doesn't get much radio play. Lord Huron is one example of a group I enjoy. I redis0covered Leon Russell recently...our American version of Elton John if you listen to the lyrics and music (which one came first?) I enjoy a wide range of music when at home from Indian sitar to blues and a little oldies. I like classical a lot and some choral pieces like Haydn's Creation. Not so much opera, though. We have a weekly vinyl night at a local brew pub and it tends to be a lot of jazz, which I find hard to like except for a few groups. Marshall Tucker was last week...a little Allman Brothers as well.

Old 07-29-2017, 03:13 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,058,328 times
  • Classical
  • Doo wop
  • Irish Rovers
  • Other traditional Irish and Scottish music (including bagpipes)
  • Other traditional international folk music
  • Some traditional western/cowboy music (Sons of the Pioneers, Sons of the San Joaquin)

Old 07-29-2017, 03:29 PM

16,527 posts, read 20,977,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post
Dixieland, listened to Red Nichols and his 5 Little Pennies on a phonograph, it was an LP/vinyl, just yesterday, as well as country artist Don Williams while my granddaughter and I worked on a jigsaw puzzle.

Daddy play professionally, coronet, trumpet in the 1930's till 1959. Self taught on the piano/organ, a white soul man. Remember him arranging music in the 1950's, when he played on the weekends. He wrote music like one writes a letter. 1970, got his lip back, played with the combo at my wedding---Laura !

Old time rock 'n roll, gospel, classical, bluegrass. Enjoyed the Highway Men, saw Ray Charles in person several times, Johnny Cash, June and John Jr. at a concert. Oh! The Mills Bros. In San Francisco, they were appearing at the Fairmont Hotel, when they started singing a second song, everyone in the audience started singing with them. Harry Mills said after the song "What is this, Sing Along With Mitch?" Much laughter. We all knew the lyrics to their songs.

Mama enjoyed as well as Papa all genre of music, she belonged to a record club. Hawaiian, Spanish (Flamenco), Strauss---

KSQM, volunteer radio station one can listen to on the computer !
Great post!

Regarding the volunteer stations we have one in Western Colorado--Mesa County.

KAFM runs volunteer dj's on 2 hour programs. You'll hear Jazz and Big Band, then Bluegrass, then 50's Rock and Roll. They have news but it is local news and occasional discussion of local issues. No national news. YAY!! Classical, Flamenco, Folk, Blues, 50's Country, one guy played two hours of soundtrack music--got into the soundtrack lp's of Peter Gunn, M Squad, he started his program with Nelson Riddle's classic instrumental "Theme From Route 66." Big time cool!

Old 07-29-2017, 03:38 PM

16,420 posts, read 5,356,250 times
I like almost every type of music if it's done well, but mostly listen to oldies, classic rock, big band, swing, opera, classical and trad jazz.

My father was an amateur musician, so I grew up hearing Beethoven and Bizet alongside Glenn Miller, polkas, Elvis, Spike Jones, theremin music, Broadway musicals, Baptist hymns and Percy Faith. It never occurred to me that one type of music was "better" than the other or that if you liked classical, you had to hate rock 'n' roll and vice-versa. It's all just music to me, and it's all good.

Old 07-29-2017, 04:06 PM

21,870 posts, read 16,696,582 times
For the most part I prefer, and enjoy listening to smooth jazz, lounge, romantic, and easy listening music, most of which I listen to on YouTube although I do have some DVD's. I stay away from music that has a destructive effect on the nervous system in favor of music that's good for the soul and the body.

Old 07-29-2017, 05:31 PM

11,268 posts, read 8,433,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I am 75 and I mainly listen to Sirius 70's.
Hard to beat 70's music.
Unfortunately I was a wild child and hate to look back. Still, every now and then...
I love Contemporary Christian.

Old 07-29-2017, 06:11 PM

1,387 posts, read 690,444 times
Like many it seems, I don't have music on anywhere near as often as I used to. If I do have something on, it's likely be the Beatles or Ambrose Thibodeaux.

Old 07-29-2017, 06:13 PM

1,492 posts, read 249,624 times
Classic Rock
Alternative...mostly 80's new wave like Icehouse, etc
Folk
Easy Listening...70's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or