U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 02:08 AM

967 posts, read 921,404 times

Advertisements

I have so enjoyed reading your posts! As I read, I think "oh, yes--I like that, too!" or "wow, how could I forget that?" I have a lot of jazz CD's I haven't played in a long time.....I usually listen to piano music when I need to read or do work and the lyrics to songs can distract me. My son introduced me to Enya's music. And I have some Adele, too. I stopped buying CD's a while ago, as I am cutting back drastically on everything I can do without....so nothing new for a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 02:09 AM

4,457 posts, read 2,635,825 times
I'll be 54 shortly.

I listen to 50&60s rock and roll, as a kid in the 60s it was what I heard. Then naturally my teen years in the 70s I listened to the top 40s, hard Rock and country, and sometimes NPR classical, basically a little of everything the FOUR local FM stations played. Remember only having a FEW choices to listen to?? Not 650 stations?

Now, I listen to 50s to the 90s, then I started losing interest, new stuff wasn't my "thing" and I never got into New Wave or Hip Hop Rebop or whatever they called it and I never did like jazz.

I like to listen to ELVIS DURRAN in the morning and his talk show. Then I pretty much switch to NPR.

If I put on Pandora on my phone, you'll laugh because I play Hawaiian Mele, as I fell in love with them after visiting Hawaii. Especially Keali'i Reichel and Mark Keali'i Ho'omalu are my favorites. And Merrie Monarch Hula Festival, mostly Hula Kohiko ( old classic hula chants) on YouTube. I admit to not knowing what ALL the words are, but I learned a lot of Hawaiian from the music (mele) and translations. It will come in handy when we return.

So if/ when I get tired of repeats ad nauseum, I can change to something I have not heard lately.

Old 07-30-2017, 06:34 AM

2,447 posts, read 2,081,663 times
I don't understand today's music. In my day 'Rap' was something you did when their was no doorbell.

Hip hop was what I saw rabbits doing going down a trail.

New wave was what I saw at the ocean when the tide was coming in.

Old 07-30-2017, 06:45 AM

3,055 posts, read 1,065,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
I don't understand today's music. In my day 'Rap' was something you did when their was no doorbell.

Hip hop was what I saw rabbits doing going down a trail.

New wave was what I saw at the ocean when the tide was coming in.
I'm with you. And, I'm also with the other poster (thinkalot from Arizona) who said that they were still stuck in the 60's and 70's (and maybe the partial 80's) when it comes to music. And, I'm perfectly okay with that! I hear little to nothing nowadays that even comes close to the music of that period of earth's history.

Old 07-30-2017, 07:14 AM

1,743 posts, read 628,445 times
Anything between Elvis and Kurt Cobain, 1954 - 1994.

Old 07-30-2017, 09:18 AM

12,678 posts, read 15,120,265 times
I love jazz, 60's-70's rock and classical.

Old 07-30-2017, 09:38 AM

1,927 posts, read 997,223 times
I like videos and since I started streaming (is that the right word?) youtube to my tv, I listen and dance every day

Favorite now is John Mayer but I like the Bangles when I feel like moving. Keep forgetting to find some Robert Palmer

I am 70

Whoever said T's Waltz of the Flowers..... me too. My mother took me to see Fantasia and I have never forgotten the music.

Old 07-30-2017, 11:13 AM

16,025 posts, read 6,313,210 times
I saw Graham Nash, of Hollies and Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young and Crosby, Stills & Nash fame on July 15. I'll be seeing either Gordon Lightfoot on August 8 or Eric Anderson on August 11, and an acoustic music concert at my synagogue on August 9. I saw Gordon Lightfoot on November 11, 2015. Does this give a pretty good picture?

I am not a retiree though. Not ever close.

Old 07-30-2017, 12:27 PM

4,069 posts, read 1,568,987 times
Recent youtube activity:

Brandenburg Concerto #3
Cow Cow Boogie, Ella Mae Morris
Rebel Rebel, David Bowie
Cry Me a River, Diana Krall
Take 5, Dave Brubeck
String of Pearls, Glen Miller
Gimme Shelter, Stones

Things I avoid:
Hawaiian (I lived there 3 years, love the islands, hate the "music")
Rap
County with a Steel Guitar
All the Lawrence Welk my mother still listens to.

Old 07-30-2017, 12:39 PM

2,931 posts, read 1,601,673 times
Music is a passion from early childhood since dad played drums as a hobby & introduced me to his big band jazz heroes. I was disappointed for years that I didn't have the talent or focus to become a musician, or even carry a tune, but later in life realized that was a blessing in disguise since making a living in music is usually disastrous.

I'm 65 yo now & listening is very eclectic, everything of quality except classical, opera, pop since 1970, rap. I will listen to public radio stations that play genres, Americana is the most "modern" format. I've never listened to any "classic rock" or oldies station since I typically didn't care for "hits" after the age of 14, but I am trying to catch any surviving members of bands I loved (1960's acts) in recent years when they play since they are dropping like flies now or not able to perform well. That opens up the opportunity to catch less famous talents who are terrific live: Colin Hay, Tommy Emmanuel, Richard Thompson, Nick Lowe, etc... & all of the folkies who've been playing just for the love of it all their lives.

If I listen now I stream my own channel which includes music from the 1930s to now, all genres except those noted before, only 2 types of music really: good or bad. (Listening to Jackie Wilson, outlaw country & Blossom Dearie most recently.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or