U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 01:04 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,369,658 times

Advertisements

Classic rock , hard rock , metal and jazz , glitter rock , indie , some punk . I was raised in Texas so I know country very well too but cannot stand anything past 1990. myfavorite decade will always be the 70's I guess .

When mom was really declining with dementia she would still instantly recognize anything by Def Leppard or the Beatles .

We all played at least one instrument and sang anyway my dad was a big band drummer ( on weekends ) with alot of bands . We all loved music and my sister and I still do .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 02:19 PM

23,567 posts, read 17,544,804 times
Various forms of metal, blues, and hard rock.

Old 07-30-2017, 02:24 PM

215 posts, read 118,191 times
There are two types of music: good and bad.

I prefer the good.

(Everything from Sinatra to the Clash)

Old 07-30-2017, 02:40 PM

7,954 posts, read 7,910,210 times
Dream Theater, Yes, Rush, Steve Morse, Joe Satriani, Periphery also.

Old 07-30-2017, 03:51 PM

4,760 posts, read 3,189,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
I don't understand today's music. In my day 'Rap' was something you did when their was no doorbell.

Hip hop was what I saw rabbits doing going down a trail.

New wave was what I saw at the ocean when the tide was coming in.

As Bob Seger once said, "Today's music ain't got the same soul. I like that old time Rock-n-Roll."

Cat

Old 07-30-2017, 06:09 PM

966 posts, read 918,839 times
I have a good friend from high school (graduated 1969) who was lead guitarist and singer in a rock band, complete with long hair. I used to go to lots of his gigs. I reconnected with him about 9 years ago, only to discover that he plays primarily country music now. What a shock!

Old 07-30-2017, 06:23 PM

2,443 posts, read 2,069,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artangel View Post
I have a good friend from high school (graduated 1969) who was lead guitarist and singer in a rock band, complete with long hair. I used to go to lots of his gigs. I reconnected with him about 9 years ago, only to discover that he plays primarily country music now. What a shock!
A lot of country music nowadays has some rock in it.

Old 07-30-2017, 06:42 PM

That's a good point, jasper. But he is a devotee of the "old school" country performers such as Johnny Cash, Chet Atkins, Hank Williams, etc.
I can handle some country music, enjoy some, but for the most point it isn't what I would choose to listen to. However, I do watch the tv show "Nashville" and have really enjoyed the music performed on it----does that count, lol? I wish I could actually go to hear many of the actor/musicians on it perform live.

There was a young country singer on American Idol a number of years ago, Scotty McCreary, I think his name is. He will be performing a concert near here and some of my friends and I plan to go to it.

Old 07-30-2017, 06:46 PM

15,876 posts, read 6,248,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artangel View Post
That's a good point, jasper. But he is a devotee of the "old school" country performers such as Johnny Cash, Chet Atkins, Hank Williams, etc.
I can handle some country music, enjoy some, but for the most point it isn't what I would choose to listen to. However, I do watch the tv show "Nashville" and have really enjoyed the music performed on it----does that count, lol?

There was a young country singer on American Idol a number of years ago, Scotty McCreary, I think his name is. He will be performing a concert near here and some of my friends and I plan to go to it.
Johnny Cash, iirc connected with a fair amount of rock, including Nine Inch Nails.

Old 07-30-2017, 06:52 PM

True, that, jbgusa. I was just listening to some Crosby, Stills & Nash last night---also Gordon Lightfoot. They are in the mix on the Pandora station I mentioned. I am so bad about remembering titles of songs these days, but can still get most of the words when I attempt to sing along, lol! I also like hearing Stevie Nicks plus James Taylor, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or