U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 07:39 PM

12,320 posts, read 15,235,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I attended at least two dozen concerts a year until recently. Contemporary artists, except country music artists, have turned their concert into an anti-Trump lecture. I now go to about six concerts a year and most are classical. I miss hearing artists live, but I'm not paying them to lecture me on politics.
I don't blame you. I would cut down my attendance too. So far, I've been lucky, I haven't experienced it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 08:36 PM

16,008 posts, read 6,308,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artangel View Post
True, that, jbgusa. I was just listening to some Crosby, Stills & Nash last night---also Gordon Lightfoot. They are in the mix on the Pandora station I mentioned. I am so bad about remembering titles of songs these days, but can still get most of the words when I attempt to sing along, lol! I also like hearing Stevie Nicks plus James Taylor, too.
If you plug lyrics you hear into Google it will spit out the name of the song and even links to sites that explain the meanings.

Old 07-31-2017, 01:11 AM

7,322 posts, read 4,189,369 times
I listen to today's pop music. 80's is OK, but 90's to today is my favorite. I detest 70's music and really don't relate to 60's or 50's. On satellite I listen to Channel 15 The Pulse. On FM it's iHeart.

Old 07-31-2017, 06:59 AM

16,008 posts, read 6,308,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I listen to today's pop music. 80's is OK, but 90's to today is my favorite. I detest 70's music and really don't relate to 60's or 50's. On satellite I listen to Channel 15 The Pulse. On FM it's iHeart.
REM from the late 80'sand early 90's is pretty close to 60's and 70's music.

Old 07-31-2017, 07:50 AM

10,353 posts, read 4,908,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
I listen to a variety of stuff on the radio-I go from Dave Brubeck to Otis Redding to Loreena McKennitt to Bill Monroe to Henry Mancini to Gary Puckett and the Union Gap. Listening to a little classical in the morning helps! My favorite music? The Moody Blues!

I loved them!

Old 07-31-2017, 08:00 AM

37,197 posts, read 45,756,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Maybe it's just the difference in our ages, but I just listened to 70s in the car for about an hour and it was awesome. Like, Classical Gas by Mason Williams...so good.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:37 AM

9,155 posts, read 8,686,132 times
'60s and '70s popular music, with a smattering of newer music: the Beach Boys, the Beatles, the girl groups, Bruce Springsteen, Linda Ronstadt, Fleetwood Mac, Jackson Browne, the Eagles (anything on Asylum Records, really). Then when CDs became the thing to buy (1986 for me), I turned to classical. Some of my favorite current artists: Vampire Weekend, Ben Lee, PT Walkley, Ryan Adams.

I sold my record collection in the early 2000s for what seemed like "stupid money" at the time. Sometimes I wish I'd kept it. But I enjoy my new way of listening to music even more. I've ripped or burned all my CDs to iTunes on my hard drive (69 days worth of music), and I usually play it on "shuffle."

My last ten iTunes tracks:
Beethoven piano sonata
Rufus Wainwright
Beethoven piano sonata
Simply Red
Fleet Foxes
Emmylou Harris
Warren Zevon
Taylor Swift
Glee
Schubert piano sonata

Old 07-31-2017, 10:02 AM

292 posts, read 142,742 times
I love Spotify. We saw Billy Joel in concert in June so I have been listening to him. It depends on my mood. Sometimes its musicals. Mostly I like 60s or 70s rock.

Old 07-31-2017, 12:50 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,180,279 times
My musical universe started with the typical 1970s AOR that dominated the airwaves when I started to have independent listening opportunities when I was about 9 years old. Soon after that, disco started to happen. I was not immediately able to appreciate such dance oriented tunage. Not long after that I discovered Prog Rock while simultaneously gaining a better appreciation for jazz and classical owing to my own brass instrument musicianship. Then .... bam!

Punk was here. It did not happen right away, but ultimately it upended everything about my musical journey. I would eventually be seen fronting a punk garage band, shaking up Bay Area suburbia.

Things got more and more interesting as post punk, New Wave, Ska, Rap and eventually Alternative, hit.

I never abandoned my childhood music, so that is still there. I can still appreciate Led Zep cranked at 10. I still adore classical and jazz (including fusion, smooth, New Age, etc).

These days I listen to current Alternative, Ska, Punk, Reggae, R&B, etc, while still partaking in all of the historical stuff as well. Oh and I can now deal with Disco too.

Old 07-31-2017, 12:56 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,180,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
I like almost every type of music if it's done well, but mostly listen to oldies, classic rock, big band, swing, opera, classical and trad jazz.

My father was an amateur musician, so I grew up hearing Beethoven and Bizet alongside Glenn Miller, polkas, Elvis, Spike Jones, theremin music, Broadway musicals, Baptist hymns and Percy Faith. It never occurred to me that one type of music was "better" than the other or that if you liked classical, you had to hate rock 'n' roll and vice-versa. It's all just music to me, and it's all good.
Fellow music geek here. I also have a very broad set of likes.

One thing I struggle with though is stuff that is nothing but autotune singing. Don't get me wrong, just like all musical innovations, autotune has its place, especially when it it intermixed skillfully with natural singing. But endless autotune? Like certain satellite radio channels play?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or