Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 02:51 PM

7 posts, read 4,131 times

Advertisements

I, for one, am sick and tired of the endless stream of best place to retire lists. One list lists the best place and the next list lists the same place as the worst place. This also applies to the best place the live lists.

What the world needs is for these technology giants to get a clue and use all that data they are collecting to develop a tool so individuals/couples can customize a search for the best place for their specific circumstances. In my mind this would be similar to a dating website where people identify what is important (and undesirable) in a potential mate. Just apply the same logic to place search.

The tool would enable drill down on specific traits, religious, political, recreation, income level, health, etc.etc. etc.

I suspect the outcomes would be somewhat predictable but some interesting surprises might pop out of the results. The tool would be something like a speeadsheet in the sense a person could back off on one trait and see what new results presented. For example - I am a sailor and I want water close by but to make that happen I need to have a very high income...OK I'll back off the water requirement but stick with all my other criteria and maybe add hiking to my list. What pops out of that search.

Would that be cool or what?

Furthermore, I can think of a million ways this tool could be monetized...so long as it remained honest to actual data and was not rigged by various financial interests. The searches themselves would be an extraordinary way to uncover popular interests which might be flying under the radar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 03:35 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,902,831 times
There used to be a site called, Find Your Spot. It was great for finding possible places to live based on a myriad of questions about what you desire, want, need. I don't know of any site as good as that one was. It gave me a lot of 'leads' based on places it suggested based on my responses.

Old 08-05-2017, 05:44 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,543,609 times
One man's paradise is another man's hell. Some lists have CA as one of the worst places to retire, but several million retirees would disagree. Many of these lists are too focused on COL and ignore or downplay quality of life, scenery and climate.

The real question is: For whom

Old 08-05-2017, 05:59 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,902,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike cunningham View Post
I, for one, am sick and tired of the endless stream of best place to retire lists. One list lists the best place and the next list lists the same place as the worst place. This also applies to the best place to live lists.

You are quite correct! There is general agreement that the lists are of rather limited use because the criteria used in the rankings rarely match the criteria of a given individual or married couple.

But somehow curiosity usually gets the better of me and I look at the lists anyway. The discussions among posters are frequently more interesting than the lists themselves. Not too long ago a poster (not me) weighed in on a certain area thought to contain a lot of hillbillies with the comment that he liked to share certain traits with his neighbors, such as a college education and teeth. I thought that was funny as hell, but some people who lived in that area certainly did not. Sometimes it's fun to get out the popcorn, sit back, and watch the fur fly.

Old 08-05-2017, 06:22 PM
JRR

8,164 posts, read 5,657,641 times
I must be getting really mellow in my old age, as the lists don't bother me. I'll look at them and think:

1) Yeah, I'm familiar with that place and always thought that it is nice

2) I'm familiar with that place and that is Not where I would want to live

3) Never been there, but that place sounds interesting

4) Never been there and no interest in going

Then I am on with the rest of my day. No permanent damage done to me by the list.

Old 08-05-2017, 06:25 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,650,554 times
People have so many different criteria I don't think any program would be very accurate. Would you be able to rank by importance. As in politics we all have a list of issues/ desires. You may be in favor of what you rank #8 but it will not come into play with your vote/retirement destination.

Does COL outweigh scenery? Does walkable outweigh the amount of sales tax. Do amenities outweigh property taxes?

I have talked about this with neighbors. What they wanted and what they settled for. For all it came down to the big 3 desires. COL, healthcare, and amenities.

For their other desires, lower on the list, there are so many and everyone has different ones but for most it was "it would be nice but isn't necessary." Most aren't deal breakers.

Old 08-05-2017, 06:59 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,600,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
There used to be a site called, Find Your Spot. It was great for finding possible places to live based on a myriad of questions about what you desire, want, need. I don't know of any site as good as that one was. It gave me a lot of 'leads' based on places it suggested based on my responses.
Yes. I remember it. My wife and I used it to move from Dallas TX. We answered about 20 multiple choice questions and it gave us a list of recommended cities. I've tried looking for it recently and only found a broken link.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 09-10-2018 at 06:32 AM..

Old 08-05-2017, 08:46 PM

16,078 posts, read 10,738,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Yes. I remember it. My wife and I used it to move from Dallas TX. We answered about 20 multiple choice questions and it gave us a list of recommended cities. I've tried looking for it recently and only found a broken link.

This site is down.
We did that years ago and, years later, I actually moved to one of the places on our list.

Old 08-06-2017, 12:35 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
The best place - where?

Follow the Yellow Brick Road

(I'm still looking ) But not too hard... time is running out FAST

Seeking contentment is a primary action (and one I have not learned YET!) Maybe tomorrow

Tomorrow's 'Best Place' will be yesterday's 'greener grass'

I'm quickly Running out of tomorrows.

Old 08-06-2017, 12:59 AM

4,490 posts, read 3,928,486 times
I never understand all the threads about "Where should I move when I retire"?. Does this mean that they have been living in a place they hate for all these years and now they are finally free to move where they want ? I understand wanting to be closer to your kids who have moved away, but other than that, why didn't you move sooner ? At 65 I occasionally ponder the concept of retirement, but I plan to stay right where I am. My friends are here, my doctor is here, I know all the local merchants by their first name, I know where everything is and I have a home that I enjoy. Moving to a place where I don't know a soul and perhaps have never been, simply based on a "Best places to retire" article seems so silly to me. "Grow where you are planted" works for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement