U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 11:42 AM

3,139 posts, read 3,521,194 times

Advertisements

Like what we would find you wearing most days if we could see into your world?

Me, I'm living in cargo shorts, tie-dyed tops, and cheap Croc knock off sandals most days.

Old sneakers and colorful cycling socks may go on the feet if it gets chilly or I go to the grocery on the scooter or bike.

I am collecting anything tie-dyed that I can find as my ''retirement motif''. I am just an ''old hippie'' at heart, I guess. Age 62 going on 12 most days and it feels pretty good.

What do you like to wear in retirement the most?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 12:08 PM

1,927 posts, read 997,725 times
This summer, I am fairly isolated, so my garment of choice is a sarong. Very comfortable for working in the yard or just lounging. I put a tee shirt on when I go to the mailbox.

Hair in a knot, earrings and sarong. I feel like my old self.

I'm glad you all can't see into my world

Old 07-30-2017, 12:20 PM

10,825 posts, read 8,092,293 times
Long, soft, loose, casual tops or T's, scoop or v neck. All solid colors - black, gray, charcoal, navy, red. Most are good for year round, but some sleeve lengths and fabrics suitable for extreme temps.

Black or tan capris in warm weather.
Black yoga pants or leggings inside, blue or black jeans outside in cold weather.

Barefoot inside, Keen sandals outside in warm weather.
Thick socks or ballet slippers inside, flats or ankle boots outside in cold weather.
Nikes for fitness walking, running. Keens for hiking.

Retired 4+ years, ^^^^ makes shopping super easy and packing for trips is a breeze! Every top goes with every bottom.

Old 07-30-2017, 12:25 PM

6,364 posts, read 5,098,251 times
Also wear cargo shorts or Bermuda length. Have some loose soft knot tops in various colors. Same top, just different colors.

Shoes, Nike or new balance sneakers when exercising, Teva, Birkenstock or SAS sandals when out and about.

Old 07-30-2017, 12:42 PM

1,668 posts, read 1,535,371 times
I'm practicing for retirement on weekends. Sometimes I wear my PJs all day. A pair of sweat pants and an old T shirt if I have to go outside to water, get the mail, etc. Yoga pants and a nicer cotton shirt if I go shopping. But I always wear sandals and shoes with good arch support as I have flat feet and was warned by the podiatrist to never go barefoot. Even my slippers have good arch support.

I have not figured out what I am going to wear after I retire and go to events (e.g., nicer restaurants, concerts). Currently I wear work clothes to those because I paid good money for the clothes and want to get as much use out of them as possible. I've always felt guilty buying nicer clothes that are too informal for the office or business travel as it seemed overly extravagant. But I may make an exception once I retire and buy a few of those outfits.

Old 07-30-2017, 12:55 PM

2,931 posts, read 1,602,755 times
Jeans, sandals & t-shirts... always if possible. My fear is when I die they will bury me in a suit for all eternity!

Old 07-30-2017, 01:32 PM

9,151 posts, read 7,239,719 times
Inside? Pajama shorts, a sports bra, and a beach coverup. Barefoot.

I wouldn't be caught dead outside in this getup though. I have a new UPS delivery person who keeps putting my packages off to the side where I have to step out to retrieve them. Sigh. So I leave them out there till it's dark, and I can duck out quickly without being spied.

Old 07-30-2017, 01:43 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,436,523 times
Jeans, comfy pima cotton long sleeve t-shirt (in assorted colors), and zip front sweatshirt. Always clean. Always comfortable. And I wear it year around. Hair pulled back in low ponytail.

Old 07-30-2017, 01:49 PM

7,119 posts, read 3,483,902 times
Inside our property when not expecting company....swimsuit and cover-up. Just bought a house with a pool, large terrace. Go barefoot or flip flops.

Outside....For restaurants: longish cotton skirts, linen tops. Shopping trips: stretch skinny jeans with linen or rayon shirts. Most always a straw hat. Living with cobblestone streets, footwear is either TEVA sandals or San Miguel shoes.

Still have my long hair, no gray and no coloring (my mother didn't gray until mid 80s); usually pulled back in a clip with a pony-tail hanging out of it.

Old 07-30-2017, 02:16 PM

364 posts, read 554,471 times
I live at the beach in North Carolina, so it's T shirts year-round, in solid, bright colors. Tank tops in summer, short or 3/4 length sleeves the rest of the year. I like Henley-style from Duluth, they are quality weight, generous sized, no-gap long-tail length. In summer it's shorts, capris or slacks the rest of the year. My natural platinum-grey hair in a chin-length bob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement