Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 03:41 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,707 posts, read 58,042,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdumbear View Post
I'd give up my 92' 1/2 ton long-box/ext-cab pickup & upgrade to a Suburban in a NY-minute, if I could afford it. I need the storage/cargo-space, the 4x4 AND the horsepower to get me over the mountains & through the winter-months, here in Wyoming...

Anyways...
My 52 (and 48HP) Diesel Rabbits did fine during my yrs in WY.
50 mpg, no dinosaurs required.

I had to wait till 1979 to get my first Rabbit Pickup. I still tow pretty heavy with it (2500#)

Heavy stuff is for my Class 8's

My CTDs handle the 30,000# light(er) loads.

but... the faithful (and very slow) Rabbit gets 80% of the duty. (Mtns everyday... 9% grade + switchbacks on the way home. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 04:27 PM

189 posts, read 110,731 times
I saw one of these in the parking lot where I work today

It's a bike/solar powered electric vehicle.
You can get your exercise while you do errands.
https://organictransit.com/

Starts at $4K

Old 07-31-2017, 05:14 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdumbear View Post
I'd give up my 92' 1/2 ton long-box/ext-cab pickup & upgrade to a Suburban in a NY-minute, if I could afford it. I need the storage/cargo-space, the 4x4 AND the horsepower to get me over the mountains & through the winter-months, here in Wyoming...

..but I totally saavy the hatred towards 'luddite-gas-guzzling-mindsets' from all of you fast-paced/busy-lifestyle metro-suburbinites in the higher-populated areas...truly I do...

...but when the 'grid' goes down ?
Then the power to the gas stations goes down as well, you'd better have a big storage tank with a hand pump. Or have stored up a lot of french fry grease.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:11 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
Don't ever get into an accident! A golf cart offers zero protection against a car, SUV, or truck. They're fine fine driving around a housing development assuming there isn't a lot of traffic. You're get up to speed rate is not the same as a car.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:06 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
My wife wants a golf cart. For what reason, I don't know. There will always be two vehicles at our Arizona house. I use one and she uses the other. There is simply no need for a third vehicle when the two we have will meet all our needs.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:22 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,755,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northshorenative View Post
I saw one of these in the parking lot where I work today

It's a bike/solar powered electric vehicle.
You can get your exercise while you do errands.
https://organictransit.com/

Starts at $4K
They start at >8k actually. I looked into purchasing one two years ago and at that time they had a three month build time and wanted total payment up front before they started the build. I was expecting 1/2 down and the rest on completion, so I passed.

Last edited by jean_ji; 08-01-2017 at 12:37 AM..

Old 08-01-2017, 02:53 AM

2,129 posts, read 1,776,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
They start at >8k actually. I looked into purchasing one two years ago and at that time they had a three month build time and wanted total payment up front before they started the build. I was expecting 1/2 down and the rest on completion, so I passed.
Yeah, that is a bicycle with a battery and a custom velo shell that isn't nearly as streamlined as your average velo.

I looked into buying one shortly after they started making them. I called with the price on their website and an offer of free shipping ON THEIR WEBSITE and was subjected to one of the most rude, obnoxious harangues in my life. The guy on the other end insisted I was trying to cheat them. Even when I gave him the URL of the page that said there was free shipping he still insisted on treating me like some kind of criminal/liar trying to take advantage of (I guess) him personally or something. According to him there was no free shipping and I was evil for even mentioning it EVEN THOUGH IT WAS RIGHT THERE ON THEIR WEBSITE.

Plus they can't be pinned down as to whether or not the thing is even street legal. It isn't, in some states, and figuring that out is not always a simple proposition. For one thing they INSISTED on advertising on their web pages that the thing goes like 50mph when vehicles of this sort are only allowed as human-powered vehicles (like a bike, which it actually is) topping out at 35 mph. It's awfully hard to convince the LEOs that its a bike and doesn't need to meet motorized vehicle safety requirements (which it does not) when they say right on their website that it exceeds the allowable speed for a human powered vehicle.

Yeah, I dropped that idea like a hot potato. Clearly when they insist that you are a liar/cheater even when you show them the live web page that says EXACTLY what you thought it did, they are not trustworthy. So if something goes wrong down the road you can't trust them to fix it either - or worse yet, their irresponsible advertising as pertains to speed causes the local gubmint to classify this thing as a motor vehicle not safe for use on public roads - and you just have an $8,000 piece of junk cluttering up your garage.

Old 08-01-2017, 05:00 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,800,839 times
Just get a Smart Car. They're fun, street legal, and have a steel safety cage. For 2018 they have gone exclusively electric for North America. 80 mile range.

Old 08-01-2017, 05:30 AM

2,129 posts, read 1,776,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
Just get a Smart Car. They're fun, street legal, and have a steel safety cage. For 2018 they have gone exclusively electric for North America. 80 mile range.
Replacement batteries for Smart Car = $27k.

Good luck with that.

I love the IDEA of electric cars, but battery replacement is a serious issue. The LEAST I've seen quoted is $7k - which, just for the batteries, is more than I have paid for a car for over 30 years.

Old 08-01-2017, 05:56 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,707 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
My RV friends used to get their Diesel Smart Cars (80+ mpg) from Canada ... short enough to fit cross-ways behind truck or trailer (USA versions are TOO long / crash bumpers). IIRC, they kept them licensed in Canada (good idea since CARB would have a fit with 80 mpg in USA)

toxic batteries (with HIGH eco impact / manf energy required) do not fit my 'grease burner' / WVO footprint.

But... not everyone can burn free grease, as there just isn't enough to go around (most has to go to China to be made into lipstick , so USA can re-buy our WVO as 'cosmetics!)

Never fear... Algae fuel is on it's way !!! I can grow algae very well! (and so can you!)

for ease / city living the CNG with a small NG to CNG in-home compressor can be a very good 'alternative' fueled vehicle. (clean but not economically (mileage), but very economical (cost of fuel) if you brew your own!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement