U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 04:33 PM

10,133 posts, read 12,385,819 times

Advertisements

Right now we have the wife's Honda and my gasoline guzzling Suburban and I am thinking once I do fully retire (working part time right now so I need the Suburban) in another year of getting a golf cart.

Golf carts will be allowed on Ohio roadways starting in 2017

In our area I could definitely do this as everything around is max 35 mph.

To be street legal they need to be registered, have a windshield with wipers, turn signals, seat belts and lights. You also need to follow all laws and rules of the road but I would think I would really like this from about mid April to the end of October.

In Florida they are plenty and most smaller towns in Georgia allow the as well as long as they are street legal.

Very prevalent in The Villages in Florida golf carts are about all most people need.

This way we can always get around if the wife's Honda breaks down at least enough to grocery shop.

Where I am almost all the streets are two lane residential with 25 mph limits and nothing if more than 35 mph unless you want to get on the interstate which I suppose is a no-no.

While street legal at night I would pretty much confine myself to daylight in good weather. I am not that much in a hurry anymore and if it is raining I can always go tomorrow.

I wonder how far you can go on a battery charge and how much electric $$$ does it take for a full charge?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 05:15 PM

6,253 posts, read 4,731,924 times
I would not want to drive a golf cart on the roads even if legal. A golf cart is not going to do well with a collision even at 25 mph or so.

Old 07-30-2017, 05:28 PM

2,443 posts, read 2,071,602 times
Golf cart in Ohio in the winter would not work.

Old 07-30-2017, 05:32 PM

547 posts, read 388,387 times
Ditch it.
Buy yourself one of those jacked up 4x4 golf carts.

Old 07-30-2017, 06:38 PM

5,247 posts, read 3,016,686 times
I had a cart when I lived in Arizona. They had to be licensed, have lights, seat belts and a horn. They were not allowed on roads where the speed limit was over 35. Wipers were not required and I would expect they would scratch up the plastic windshield rather quickly. Many people, myself included, had them as a second car. Mine was 21 years old and had never been on a golf course.

The downside is that you have to watch out for people in cars and do their thinking for them. A friend of ours was killed in a cart in an accident with a car. Another friend was hit a few years ago with minor injury.

In that community almost all the carts had gas engines. I used to fill mine up every other month. It haad a 5 gallon tank.

Old 07-31-2017, 02:55 AM

19,801 posts, read 19,900,285 times
The Villages, being as large as it is, is pretty unique I that respect.
The last few people I know that just bought new ones paid between $5000 and $7000 . That's a lot for such limited use and could probably go quite a way for a decent economical small used car.
Obviously you could also buy a used cart but for a street legal, may still be $3000 to $4000.
Cost of charging? I really don't notice any effect on my electric bill.
Distance? There's a range but dependent on the cart and condition of the batteries.
Supposedly 10 to 15 miles/ 2 hours .
Practical question is, with a speed limit of 35,what's the average 'over the limit" speed?
I wonder how many cyclists avoid accidents because of maneuverability that a cart doesn't have?

Just food for thought.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:37 AM

7,101 posts, read 3,461,680 times
In FL where we have a home, they are allowed only on certain streets determined by each city. All must be licensed.

Here in Mexico where we live, they are allowed on the village's cobblestone streets, but not on on the secondary roads.

To me, driving a golf cart screams, old geezer.

When the time comes when we cannot safely drive our car, we will simply hire a driver, which is affordable here....45 pesos an hour (USD equivalent $ 2.50).

Old 07-31-2017, 05:42 AM

4,840 posts, read 4,954,521 times
You an buy a used Nissan Leaf for less than $10K

Unlike a golf cart, the Leaf has safety features build in. The 90 mile limitation between charges is not a problem if you are using it primarily as a grocery getter.

Drive one. It's a real hoot to drive!

Old 07-31-2017, 07:32 AM

10,133 posts, read 12,385,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
You an buy a used Nissan Leaf for less than $10K

Unlike a golf cart, the Leaf has safety features build in. The 90 mile limitation between charges is not a problem if you are using it primarily as a grocery getter.

Drive one. It's a real hoot to drive!
Never thought about that possibility!

After looking at used ones, you were right lots of 2012's and 13's for $10k and less, I think this would be the way to go.

Anyone out here have a leaf? What do you think and how far between charges? Winter cold driving? Air conditioning? Yep, I know, that is what they have Google for.

Where we are with the exception of my MIL everything is within a 60 mile round trip. MIL is 120 mile round trip so slightly out of area but that is what we got the Honda for.

Our electric rate is $0.059 so recharge costs would be next to nothing. Might run $20 a month if I do a lot of running around.

I don't have a problem driving, as of yet, but my wife doesn't like downtown traffic so she takes Uber for her doctor appointments if I am not around. Less than $20 each way, they seem to show up within 10 minutes of the initial call and it has always worked well so far.

If it ever got to the point we couldn't drive we could probably do everything through Uber at maybe $300/month if we plan the trips.

Last edited by nicet4; 07-31-2017 at 07:44 AM..

Old 07-31-2017, 08:15 AM

4,840 posts, read 4,954,521 times
You'll quickly learn to just plug it in over night like your cell phone. Buying no gas ever is a real plus!

My daughter loves her Leaf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement