Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 06:57 PM

305 posts, read 1,801,601 times

Advertisements

I've read:

50 Fabulous Planned Retirement Communities

America's Best 100 Places to Retire

Retirement Places Rated

MyGuide to Communities for Seniors Educational Resource Guide

Your Guide to VA Loans: How to Cut Through the Red Tape and Get Your Dream Home Fast

and finally, First-Time Home Buyers Guide

What I learned is this:

Since we don't own a home, we have no home to sell and therefore, could NEVER, EVER afford an Independent Living Community. The entrance fees are so astronomical they are impossible AND VA won't allow this type of home "purchase."

We could never, ever afford a "senior resort retirement community." Ever.

We can buy a house (new or "lived in") if we stay within $150,000.

We can buy a mobile/manufactured home, IF we own the land (VA will not let us buy where the land is leased).

Because hubby is a 100% service connected disabled Vet, we can, in some states (I only know of NY right now), down payment and some fees are waived, as well as property taxes. (This will be a Godsend.)

Here's what I need to know or get directions to find out:

Where in NY State (or other states if known for a fact) can we:

Buy a home in a senior friendly (someone's gotta shovel the snow and do the lawn because we can't) place or community that is retirement oriented.

Buy a mobile/manufactured home WITH land that is 55+.

Buy into a senior condo community with the same financial guidelines where the HOA fees won't kill us and if there is NO HOA then access to snow removal/landscaping companies.

I'm willing to read more books. But so far, I'm coming up empty. And my eyes are getting tired!

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 08:26 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,834,793 times
I noticed that SUn City,AZ has some 2 bedroom under the price of $150,000. It is a retirement city outside of Phoenix, AZ. I am sure there must be others.

You'd need to look for cities that have affordable prices. then look for mobiles,homes and condos. Some states to start looking at are PA,Ohio,WV and Texas. You may like the area where you are already living. They must have some retirement living somewhere in upstate NY. Look at the larger cities up there.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:43 PM

37,249 posts, read 60,987,691 times
I see homes with land going for $50k to $100k, but they are not in retirement communities.

So I am sorry, but I have no help to offer you.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:47 PM

Forest:

They don't HAVE to be in retirement communities. But if they aren't, we need to know that we can get the help we need (both of us are disabled). We will have the income (VA disability, SSDI x 2, and my retirement from government employment) to more than just survive, it's that we don't have entrance fees, down payments, etc to get into a planned community.

We don't mind a condo or manufactured home, I just can't seem to find any senior condos or land with the manuf. home. Any help there?

Thanks.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:49 PM

We live in PA. Hate it here. Lived out west for 30 years. Can't afford to go back. Too expensive!

NY has family. And gambling. And plenty of fishing ... our favorite hobby that we can physically both do.

But we need to be near medical stuff, places that will take care of the maintenance (snow removal and landscaping) that we are physically unable to do.

Thanks for the input!

Old 11-29-2007, 08:58 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,529,899 times
Try this:

****.com - Find the Best Place, the Best Job, the Best Home for You! (http://www.****.com/survey/InvalidSurvey.asp?ID=CB4E4DEEAFCE4A83D48F6558B041B 867 - broken link)

I have taken this test a few times over the years while dreaming of where to retire. Strange how every time I take it there is a different answer.

This site does not spam you. It takes about 15-20 minutes and is very detailed with your likes and dislikes. It finds you the most perfect spot that matches you.

Good luck !

Old 11-30-2007, 04:25 AM

2,171 posts, read 7,634,819 times
Condo communities usually take care of all the outside stuff. Mine does. They've been blowing leaves around out there for the last few days. They do all the tree stuff and anything that has to be done to the outside of the buildings, even including things like caulking windows, especially for older residents. But this is the South and people are helpful that way.
The monthly HOA is low, but there isn't a lot of fancy stuff, although there is a swimming pool and a tennis court.
Fairfield Glade near Crossville, TN, has a some nice condos in your price range. It's an over 55 community. Not sure what dues would be.
Official Fairfield Glade Website. The Premier Retirement Community on the Cumberland Plateau in Crossville, Tennessee.
You need to pick an area first or at least the type of community you want. It's out there.

Old 11-30-2007, 06:49 AM

4,096 posts, read 11,427,104 times
You can easily live in Indianapolis. There is even a huge huge VA hospital downtown and it is getting bigger.

Housing: There are quite a number of +55 patio home communities for under $150,000 with very reasonable HOA fees. There is even a beautiful converted all brick apartment complex on a sidewalked major but quiet street within several blocks of all the shopping you would need where an apartment sells for $60,000 to $90,000. We have considered it. It is even next to a several larger condo communities with prices over $250,000 and across the street from a gated community with astronomical prices. A friend who is a lawyer lives in one of the older condos in town and paid less than $100,000 for a fully renovated unit in her development. Lots and lots of choices for all types of senior living. You do not have to pay the big fees unless you are buying into a situation where there are guarantees of future services.

There are even some wonderful rental communities for +55 that are monthly about $700 that include local bus service daily and indoor amenities like mail delivery, community rooms, social events and such. They are on each side of town.

Indianapolis has a lot to offer. Weather is not the best but better than upstate NY. However, NY may be expensive, but the state does a better job in many instances with services and insurance for elders.

I am looking forward to being 55 next year when I can join my local senior citizens center and take advantage of what they offer.

Indy does also have some income supported rental units. There is one right downtown called the Seminole Apartments. Wonderful location in a historic district and within 2 blocks of our new huge Central Library. Within 3-4 blocks of a grocery and hardware store.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:51 AM

823 posts, read 3,680,319 times
I think you can find the information you want by doing Google searches. The first thing I would do is to find out the location of VA hospital around the country which would narrow your search.

Old 11-30-2007, 01:13 PM

37,743 posts, read 40,805,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teebopop View Post
I've read:

50 Fabulous Planned Retirement Communities

America's Best 100 Places to Retire

Retirement Places Rated

MyGuide to Communities for Seniors Educational Resource Guide

Your Guide to VA Loans: How to Cut Through the Red Tape and Get Your Dream Home Fast

and finally, First-Time Home Buyers Guide

What I learned is this:

Since we don't own a home, we have no home to sell and therefore, could NEVER, EVER afford an Independent Living Community. The entrance fees are so astronomical they are impossible AND VA won't allow this type of home "purchase."

We could never, ever afford a "senior resort retirement community." Ever.

We can buy a house (new or "lived in") if we stay within $150,000.

We can buy a mobile/manufactured home, IF we own the land (VA will not let us buy where the land is leased).

Because hubby is a 100% service connected disabled Vet, we can, in some states (I only know of NY right now), down payment and some fees are waived, as well as property taxes. (This will be a Godsend.)

Here's what I need to know or get directions to find out:

Where in NY State (or other states if known for a fact) can we:

Buy a home in a senior friendly (someone's gotta shovel the snow and do the lawn because we can't) place or community that is retirement oriented.

Buy a mobile/manufactured home WITH land that is 55+.

Buy into a senior condo community with the same financial guidelines where the HOA fees won't kill us and if there is NO HOA then access to snow removal/landscaping companies.

I'm willing to read more books. But so far, I'm coming up empty. And my eyes are getting tired!

Thank you.
Ahhhh, the retirement books. Someone else's idea of what will make you happy. Ever seen any retirement books that talk about Quilting Clubs, Bird Watching, Bowling Leagues, Photography or Gun/Fishing Clubs, for example? Nahhhh, we're all looking to go to the symphony, hike or bike, park our boats, play golf and live in a gated/master planned community near some mall and a lot of restaurants.

1. What things do you want to do in retirement? How do you plan to replace your work week with things to do that you like to do not what the retirement books say you're supposed to like?

2. Where can you do these things with frequency/ease/quality for the most months of the year? (You will have to do research and ask questions) Read the community news/events pages of the local newspapers online. Check the online yellow pages. Do a Google Image search to look at photos of the town in addition to what's on the City Data pages.

3. Make a list of about 20 towns.

After you come up with a list of places that offer you the most opportunities to do the things you and your husband like to do with ease, frequency and quality, apply your other criteria to your list. (Examples: Does you husband need to be near a Veterans Hospital or some type of hospital that specializes? How much can you afford for housing? What are your weather needs/desires? Do you require public transportation? Etc.)

4. Re-order your list based on which of the 20 places meet the most to least of your other criteria.

5. Investigate the housing options of your Top 5.

I guess what I'm recommending is don't put the cart before the horse by looking for the dwelling-type before you find the location that will make you happy.

If you find a location that offers you the things you like to do then the chances of you also meeting like-minded people are good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement