U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 11:23 AM

8,743 posts, read 12,200,123 times

Advertisements

I hate chatting on the phone. But some things involving lots of variables need to be hashed out in length/detail. I would say only like 10% of my phone interactions need that..

Texting is great for quick/concise communication that is not up-to-the-minute urgent.

Email is great for presenting larger amounts of information someone (or a group) will need to refer back to.

Time and place for everything...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 11:24 AM

5,959 posts, read 5,309,871 times
If you don't here a voice you aren't really keeping in touch.

Not answering the phone if you don't recognize the number. How about an emergency when they can't use their own phone.

Real tough to hang up on a phone solicitor.

What a nation of wusses we've become.

Old 07-31-2017, 12:10 PM

8,978 posts, read 8,115,335 times
We got two cell phones a year ago and got rid of the land line.

Reason: My wife and I am both in our late 80s. Today the elderly have something they can push a button on, and get emergency help. We found a cell phone, that includes what they call the 5-star button. You push that button, and there will be someone there to handle your emergency. In addition for another $10 a month we get more minutes than we need/use on the cell phone that is part of the emergency button. Has built in GPS so they know where we are at, and can get help 24/7.

We were happy to phone that gave us a phone at low cost, plus the emergency button, which with GPS allows those coming to our rescue will know where we are. For $35 a month each, we get the emergency button, plus a good cell phone.

Before we had a cell phone for 20 years, but only carried it if we were away from home. We also had our land line a VOIP (Internet) phone. Cost us $3.75 a month with an annual payment. The sound was much better, than the phone company phone at over 10 times the cost.

Gives us all we need. We do not have/pay for texting as we don't do it. We really do not have any friends we keep in touch with. They have all gone on to their next existence if there is one, and left us behind.

Old 07-31-2017, 12:40 PM

6,216 posts, read 2,874,385 times
Text and emails rarely Give the tone (inflection) to the conversation.
But call me on the phone and I'll gladly listen to your Joys or days events. You can't replace the sound of laughter with an emoticon....

I listen to a voice message My dear mom left on my phone. She is gone now...four years...and that Voice...brings comfort when this world wants to just text or be indifferent...

Blondie got it right with "Call Me" ( a tune from the 70's...)

On the rare occassion that I do tolerate a text messages its to confirm: Hey! Do we need eggs? Or I'm stopping off at the gas station to refill, be home shortly!
Seriously is anyone 100% certain WHo is actually typing the text/email? But call me and I can recognize the voice....Make it personal.

Old 07-31-2017, 12:53 PM

21,873 posts, read 23,163,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
If you don't here a voice you aren't really keeping in touch.

Not answering the phone if you don't recognize the number. How about an emergency when they can't use their own phone.

Real tough to hang up on a phone solicitor.

What a nation of wusses we've become.
Seriously if there's no voice connection it's invalid? Texting and email has been a great way to keep in touch with my dad as his hearing deteriorates. Never occurred to me it didn't count.

Emergency? Leave a voicemail and I'll return the call.

Old 07-31-2017, 01:26 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,151,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artangel View Post
I wasn't sure where to post this, so decided to give it a shot here. It occurred to me last night, as I was contemplating calling someone, that is has become an imposition to actually call people on the phone, rather than text or email. A lot of people today consider it almost rude to want to talk on the phone with them, rather than use the other methods of communication. I have been at my kid's house and watch as the phone rings, only to be totally ignored, even if no one was especially busy. I don't remember it being like that.....if you were busy, you didn't answer the phone, but generally you welcomed a phone call from a friend or family member. Do you agree? Have you experienced this?
Due to the extreme volume of spam calls we screen nearly every incoming call and will only pick up if it's someone we know.

Old 07-31-2017, 02:16 PM

4,765 posts, read 3,197,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Text and emails rarely Give the tone (inflection) to the conversation.
But call me on the phone and I'll gladly listen to your Joys or days events. You can't replace the sound of laughter with an emoticon....

I listen to a voice message My dear mom left on my phone. She is gone now...four years...and that Voice...brings comfort when this world wants to just text or be indifferent...

Blondie got it right with "Call Me" ( a tune from the 70's...)

On the rare occassion that I do tolerate a text messages its to confirm: Hey! Do we need eggs? Or I'm stopping off at the gas station to refill, be home shortly!
Seriously is anyone 100% certain WHo is actually typing the text/email? But call me and I can recognize the voice....Make it personal.

I actually have messages from both my parents. Mom has been gone for 4 years now and Dad 5 years. Yeah, the messages that were left were kind of stupid but the funny thing is, both of them said my name. To me, THAT is worth A LOT. So, I listen to them just to hear my parents say my name.

BTW, I now have the song "Call Me" in my head. lol. Great song.

Cat

Old 07-31-2017, 02:46 PM

5,429 posts, read 3,454,205 times
I experienced one case where frequent very long phone chats were substituted by emails, and the relationship faltered due to the limitations of email conversing.

I could see this happening on a society-wise basis due to changes in the way we communicate.

Last edited by matisse12; 07-31-2017 at 02:54 PM..

Old 07-31-2017, 03:17 PM

662 posts, read 479,310 times
I think the onslaught from telemarketers was the catalyst to not picking up the phone.

Re: emergencies...a real emergency requires 911.

If I recognize the number, I generally pick up, but not always, for a variety of reasons, many of which have been stated already.

Old 07-31-2017, 04:01 PM

4,765 posts, read 3,197,758 times
I can tell legit calls from bogus ones with our caller ID. Bogus calls come in as just a city and state. Real calls either come in as someone's name (especially if they are in our address book) or it will say "cellular call."

Cat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement