U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 11:37 AM

1,416 posts, read 555,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
If you don't here a voice you aren't really keeping in touch.

Not answering the phone if you don't recognize the number. How about an emergency when they can't use their own phone.

Real tough to hang up on a phone solicitor.

What a nation of wusses we've become.

I agree with you 100% !!! I just don't understand nor do I want to go down the path so many people are going down now..not really understanding how important just hearing a family or friend's voice can be at times. It's like the masses are just following like cattle being lead to the slaughter house...basically no one is thinking about the future impact this will have until it's too late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 11:51 AM

1,416 posts, read 555,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
I've enjoyed having long phone conversations since teen years and don't now have a lifestyle that would regularly utilize texting, but enjoy email. I have known those who say they "do not like to talk on the phone". I still have a landline with a decent handset, so it's possible others do not want to hold an uncomfortable-feeling phone nowadays either, as I don't care much for the cordless or cell. However, I guess some just don't like sitting and chatting. It has bugged me if one would call from their car (killing time, probably), then as they reached their destination, would be wanting off the phone, when I was used to uninterrupted conversations by landline with the same person.

Hey OP, maybe it's because these days, since some only use a cell and are likely inundated by notifications all day, it is no longer special to get a call, having it become a "chore" and pick and choose times in which to not be bothered. (I don't live that way, but it seems many do, since Cell phones have taken over).

In the "old days", many would arrive home from work, eat dinner, watch TV or talk on the phone. Since we did not have a device on us ALL day, evenings and weekends were times to catch up with others, besides when dating, we made arrangements and went out, not being bothered by interruptions while out with another. As I said, times have changed.
It has bugged me if one would call from their car (killing time, probably), then as they reached their destination, would be wanting off the phone, when I was used to uninterrupted conversations by landline with the same person. I thought I was the only one that felt that way.I just got rid of those types of people because no one can be that busy where each and every time they HAVE to make a call while driving or going somewhere??I say that is disrespectful if it happened ALL the time.If you can talk without interruption then why can't they?I guess they just don't feel that it's a priority....well there you go.I think some people are just not getting how important that time is..even if it's 10 minutes talking to someone and hearing their voice.

Old 08-03-2017, 12:07 PM

41 posts, read 28,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codergirl View Post
They can hear very well on the phone.... and if they couldn't..then that would be fine...I could just e-mail..BUT I'm referring to those that can hear perfectly fine but just don't want to actually hear someone's voice to communicate.Text is the lazy way to communicate..in my opinion.
Both methods have their strong points. Voice demands synchronicity and complete attention. Text does not.

Also, many people simply do not like the phone. They are not lazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I don't get this "I am a senior so I don't text" - OK, fine, you are not going to send childish messages loaded with emojis
I agree with your post, except that I disagree that emoji are "childish." As with all the social shifts in communication, I guarantee you that there are theses being written about it even now, but emoji are an example of ideograms (aka pictograms) - a symbol which represents an idea or concept. Ideograms are similar to the logograms used in some Asian writing systems and in Egyptian hieroglyphics.

English speakers are familiar with plenty of ideograms, like arrows, hazard symbols, and so forth. I fail to see why a diversification of ideograms in common usage is childish or a problem. In fact, I see 19 primitive emoji for me to click on just to the right of the editor I'm typing in now, and another unique 7 just below it.

Old 08-03-2017, 12:16 PM

2,441 posts, read 1,679,672 times
A phone call is exactly like showing up at someone's front door without calling first. Usually I never minded either one, but there were times where it was inconvenient and not appreciated.

With phone calls, the problem is the timing. It's great those calling have nothing better to do at that moment but that may not be the same for the other person. The bigger problem is the people who don't know how to end a conversation. They aren't different in real life usually, but it seems easier to escape them, than when on the phone. Thankfully text has a limited amount of characters, otherwise these same people would write novellas.

I never texted much until we moved near our grandkids and then I realized the beauty of it. It's not meant to be a way to connect with people on any level other than to communicate information in a few words.

Most of my texts consist of:
Yes
No
Where are you
What time
Come over
Home now
In car
Cool
Awesome
Love you

And any emojis that help make my intent clearer.

Phones feel like being held hostage sometimes and many times it's by those you love or care about, complicating the easy answer. Bad cell connections or low battery, real or imagined, are another tool I can use since I no longer have a landline.

Last edited by jean_ji; 08-03-2017 at 12:33 PM..

Old 08-03-2017, 03:15 PM

3,166 posts, read 6,953,808 times
It is possible to live in today's society and not be addicted to your phone. My husband and I both have flip up phones with no Internet on the phone or texting capability. I am shocked to see almost every single person between the ages of 5 and 85 on their phones: while walking, biking, running, hiking... what in the world are these people doing? I understand having a cell phone and texting when necessary, but it seems like everyone is totally addicted to their phones. I have no understanding of this at all.

I don't want to be connected to someone else 24/7 or being intruded upon constantly. Give me the old days with land lines and no answering machine.

Old 08-04-2017, 01:23 AM

5,987 posts, read 2,912,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
There is that - texts are better for communicating in a noisy environment, or to send and receive "on the sly" as you text your buddy during a boring long meeting.
Texting also has the benefit of can be referred back to later.

If someone texts me the address where we are meeting in three days I'm all good because I can bring that text up and paste it into Google Maps to get me there easily. If they rattled it off during a phone call I'm either struggling to switch to a note taking app or trying to find pen & paper then hoping I can find it later.

Texting is also nice as extra security layer for finances. Any withdrawal using my ATM or credit card I get a text message. If someone started using my card number without my knowledge I'd know in about 5 seconds.

Old 08-04-2017, 01:26 AM

5,987 posts, read 2,912,200 times
Quote:
Text is the lazy way to communicate..in my opinion
This is like saying using a remote control is the lazy way to change the TV channel, or scanning products at the grocery store instead of typing in each individual price is the lazy way to ring up a shopper. Doing something in a more efficient way as technology evolves isn't lazy, it's smart.

Quote:
not really understanding how important just hearing a family or friend's voice can be at times. It's like the masses are just following like cattle being lead to the slaughter house
Ya think this might be a wee bit over dramatic?

Old 08-04-2017, 01:53 AM

5,251 posts, read 2,095,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
It is possible to live in today's society and not be addicted to your phone. My husband and I both have flip up phones with no Internet on the phone or texting capability. I am shocked to see almost every single person between the ages of 5 and 85 on their phones: while walking, biking, running, hiking... what in the world are these people doing? I understand having a cell phone and texting when necessary, but it seems like everyone is totally addicted to their phones. I have no understanding of this at all.

I don't want to be connected to someone else 24/7 or being intruded upon constantly. Give me the old days with land lines and no answering machine.
Things are definitely different now. I never fell into it either, using my cell marginally. I think the cell should have been a handy tool, but began being marketed as a "necessity", then became an item of dependency. It comes down to personality and are mostly younger people, since they grew up with it.

Then we are exposed to others' conversations. I was near a woman who was irate and practically screaming into her phone, saying she "would be right there", but continued to shop. Every time I saw her, she was having this interaction, seemed to not want to admit "she was busy". Then, I heard a guy talking about personal stuff, loudly, going around and around carrying a basket, but not picking items up. This has been common.

The OP said she feels she is bothering a person and missing being able to interact on the phone. It seems this may be since some are so hooked into their phones all day (by choice, not by necessity), they are tired and unavailable, when another felt the only time they were free was at that time. Since people are not on equal-footing this way, I think this is likely commonplace. We get one's voicemail and they may get back to you, whenever.

Last edited by In2itive_1; 08-04-2017 at 01:56 AM.. Reason: Adjustment

Old 08-04-2017, 04:42 AM

3,502 posts, read 1,551,711 times
Phone calls are a thing of the past since we retired here. No one calls. Emails only. It is strange, but we have adjusted and don't mind at all. Plenty of smart phone use, but not for voice...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement