U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 10:38 PM

967 posts, read 919,527 times

Advertisements

I wasn't sure where to post this, so decided to give it a shot here. It occurred to me last night, as I was contemplating calling someone, that is has become an imposition to actually call people on the phone, rather than text or email. A lot of people today consider it almost rude to want to talk on the phone with them, rather than use the other methods of communication. I have been at my kid's house and watch as the phone rings, only to be totally ignored, even if no one was especially busy. I don't remember it being like that.....if you were busy, you didn't answer the phone, but generally you welcomed a phone call from a friend or family member. Do you agree? Have you experienced this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 11:30 PM

39,551 posts, read 47,768,430 times
90% of our communications are by phone. If we're not available they can leave a message. The other 10% are e-mails.

Old 07-31-2017, 12:17 AM

3,139 posts, read 3,510,190 times
I talk to 3 people on the phone a few times a week. Occassionally there is a text exchange. No emails anymore. Everyone else is text. I never answer the phone unless I know the number. And I hate to go through voicemail.

Old 07-31-2017, 12:24 AM

7,157 posts, read 2,936,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artangel View Post
I wasn't sure where to post this, so decided to give it a shot here. It occurred to me last night, as I was contemplating calling someone, that is has become an imposition to actually call people on the phone, rather than text or email. A lot of people today consider it almost rude to want to talk on the phone with them, rather than use the other methods of communication. I have been at my kid's house and watch as the phone rings, only to be totally ignored, even if no one was especially busy. I don't remember it being like that.....if you were busy, you didn't answer the phone, but generally you welcomed a phone call from a friend or family member. Do you agree? Have you experienced this?
Maybe they expect the calls to be robocalls or hawkers, so let an answering machine deal with it.

Old 07-31-2017, 04:45 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,227,061 times
Interesting topic. My family isn't much for chit chatting on the phone. We seem to use email 95% of the time unless it's urgent. I guess it depends on personalities, need to stay connected, etc.

Old 07-31-2017, 04:49 AM

6,352 posts, read 7,831,222 times
It may sound strange but I'll text someone and tell them to call me. In that case, I won't risk ringing their phone when they're not available to talk and they'll know that I am. lol

Old 07-31-2017, 04:50 AM

16,357 posts, read 10,346,234 times
I've never liked talking on the phone. Since text and emails, even less.

Old 07-31-2017, 04:52 AM

32,089 posts, read 32,994,562 times
I know people that ignore answering the phone when it is from unknown numbers or a blocked numbers.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:31 AM

6,267 posts, read 4,737,090 times
When many of us grew up a telephone was still a big deal. We called neighbors but any long distant calls were reserved for holidays, birthdays and special occasions. The phone hardly ever rang and when it did anyone nearby ran to pick it up.

Fortunately those days are long gone. Now we have emails, text messages and Facebook. For many of us our level of social interaction has grown by orders of magnitude. Most people now communicate by one of those means and phone calls are not welcome. At least half the phone calls I get are robocalls. Somehow the do not call system stopped working. I would guess just another example of government incompetence and the offenders are not tracked down and fined. In addition to the volume of social interaction, there is another big factor. The cellphone is with us 24 hours a day, not just when we are at home. That ups the nuisance factor to the point where I am about ready to turn off the ringer.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:37 AM

4,845 posts, read 4,962,112 times
My kids live crazy busy lives.

With 2 high pressure jobs in tech, 2 young children, an Au pair, and very little free time, I think it is highly presumptuous of me to call them and expect them to always answer the phone.

Therefore, I text them and ask them to call or facetime me at their convenience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement