U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 02:25 PM

14,337 posts, read 45,089,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I have been a hot rodder and shade tree mechanic all my life. Now at 74 I am willing to pay a mechanic to do work I could do to buy time and a lot of automotive work is a pain in the rear
It's wonderful to find a mechanic you like and trust.
This is true, found by accident a great little shop in a nearby small town, good to be able to have "Tony" take over some of the "overflow" work that I can't seem to get around to, or if the wood hauling truck breaks down suddenly and we need it back sooner than I can get to it.

That said, my favorite mechanic is that guy in the mirror. He's slow getting around to things, but always does the job the way I want it done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 02:56 PM

4,799 posts, read 3,224,229 times
Years ago when financial burdens weren't so heavy, I started to hire someone to do the cleaning-mainly to vacuum-something I REALLY hate doing. I went through a few cleaning people.

1. Was recommended by a friend. I didn't like her.
2. I liked but after a while said she couldn't do it anymore for health reasons.
4. Was awful.
5. Was REALLY good and I liked her but she had other priorities so, I hired someone else. (I also hired her to paint a few of our rooms.)
6. Only used once-the second time they didn't show up and that was it.
7. My present one. Even though she isn't the best in terms of cleaner, I really like her and I TRUST her. She has a key to the house and if we are not here, she comes in and does her thing. She also has watched the cats for us when we are away.

There are some things that I won't have her do-the cat boxes (unless we are away), the dishes (I am very anal about how my dishes are washed), & laundry.

I have told Hubby that he can always hire someone to do the mowing if he likes. But, he does it-every now and again when it starts to get REALLY bad.

Since moving into this house, we now know a lot of people in the trades. There is one guy we have hired to fix our roof, paint our pantry, put up a roof over a door, etc. We met him because he works for the guy who painted our house (inside & out). We met our painter through our contractor. It really is great knowing these people.

Cat

Old 08-01-2017, 04:08 PM

3,572 posts, read 1,579,703 times
I have plenty of time to clean, but detest it. So I very much appreciate my maid for $10 a session. She can crouch and get down to those floors, which I can't. And she really appreciates the work.

I appreciate our condo gardener for the same reasons.

And the 2 young guys who helped us move!

Old 08-01-2017, 10:17 PM

663 posts, read 484,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedintime View Post
That's a great idea, but I've never heard of hiring a car broker. Hope you don't mind me asking, but is that common in your area ?
I don't know if it's common, I just know that I'm debating it. They work online, and can do it all online for you; right down to having it delivered to you. Google "car broker". I've never done it before, so I'm just learning myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement