U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 09:57 AM

7,108 posts, read 3,465,006 times

Advertisements

OP...you didn't mention Guatemala. I have met many expats there. For city life, I'd recommend Antigua...it is a beautiful colonial city with enough Euro expats to have a vibrant international restaurant scene. We are returning for a visit in a few months.

I have not been to Lake Atitlan but have heard glowing reports of life on the water there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 10:18 AM

1,521 posts, read 976,941 times
Nicaragua? One of only two countries in the hemisphere (the other being Bolivia) who supported Venezuela and Maduro in the recent sham election which created the Constituent National Assembly? What happens if Daniel Ortega wants a bus driver to succeed him? No thank you.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:34 AM

177 posts, read 194,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
OP...you didn't mention Guatemala. I have met many expats there. For city life, I'd recommend Antigua...it is a beautiful colonial city with enough Euro expats to have a vibrant international restaurant scene. We are returning for a visit in a few months.

I have not been to Lake Atitlan but have heard glowing reports of life on the water there.
There is a guy named Hobo Traveler that has a YouTube channel. He is often in Lake Atitlan and is there currently posting nearly daily videos of life there and (extremely frugal) expat living.

Old 08-01-2017, 11:27 AM

1,062 posts, read 490,660 times
The part that would stop me is "always being a visitor, a guest"

I've traveled there for extended periods of time and recognize how true this would be if I lived there.

I would not like that. Even speaking the language, I would just be a chronic odd ball. And if I were to surround myself with expats I might as well stay home.

Just imo. :-)

Old 08-01-2017, 11:29 AM

23,790 posts, read 8,278,461 times
Born and Raised in the U.S. and ashes will go over the beach/Pacific Ocean, I believe. This suits some but MOST I don't think so.

It would be an adventure, but costly too if one wants to come back.

Old 08-01-2017, 11:36 AM

21,697 posts, read 23,672,920 times
Thanks for a first hand, very interesting report. There's a lot to think about.

Old 08-01-2017, 11:44 AM

1,062 posts, read 490,660 times
Sorry, I should have started my previous post with - Thanks for posting an interesting read.

So, thanks for doing just that!

:-)

Old 08-01-2017, 11:57 AM

7,108 posts, read 3,465,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Born and Raised in the U.S. and ashes will go over the beach/Pacific Ocean, I believe. This suits some but MOST I don't think so.

It would be an adventure, but costly too if one wants to come back.
Why do you think it would be costly to come back??

Old 08-01-2017, 12:05 PM

3,443 posts, read 1,537,008 times
It's true: Statistically, around 50% of expats don't make it. Our dearest friends here are selling after only several months.

If I could afford to live oceanfront in the U.S. I would not be here. But looking at the pounding surf from my bed right now, yeah, I'll take it. We just set up a badminton net in front of the condo complex and have been playing in the sand every day. The other day a friend rode up the beach on her horse to visit.

Plenty of singles here too, and they are embraced whole-heartedly.

The comment about Napoleonic law is correct. We hope to never run afoul of the law. The locals are friendly and courteous to us; the "guest" thing has not been an issue so far. There are bilingual services to help with whatever one needs. Trying to learn Spanish, but we get lazy about it. But good mental exercise for aging brains.

Our condo complex is new, luxurious and has an infinity pool. Property taxes are $40 annually. We do run A/C much of the year, but the ocean breeze makes the tropics a pleasure.

Safety and security are personal responsibility. Cops don't really care. Lots of nepotism, cronyism and bribery.

Living in South America is a definite trade-off, not for the faint of heart. It is an adventure and the expats are "out-of-the-box" people that are great fun to know. Most of us are 60's in age.

We do well here on around $1,200 a month, sometimes as low as $800. Modern supermarket with almost everything except lemons are hard to find. Limes everywhere for pennies. Most get along without a car. Luxury buses and taxis go everywhere very affordably.

Internet is adequate; we have Netflix and we could pay for whatever U.S. cable TV we wanted.

If you are a foodie, or a big shopper, it's not for you.

A new modern hospital has just been built; our health insurance is $80 per month for a couple.

If we had to go back, we'd still have saved money by being here, instead of in the U.S.

But my suggestion is those of you with plenty of money---stay home and safe in the good ole U.S.A. (or Canada; plenty of those here too)

---Expats in coastal Ecuador

Last edited by Sand&Salt; 08-01-2017 at 01:08 PM..

Old 08-01-2017, 12:12 PM

23,790 posts, read 8,278,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Why do you think it would be costly to come back??
Well you gotta have the means to pack up and return and find housing etc..it's like starting over, maybe not for some. I don't know but it would be for me. I don't have money to come and go from country to country, don't now and never did.

I was transferred to San Jose by my employer, but it was a one way ticket on them, when I came back down here 5 yrs later, I was starting over on my own. That's my experience. No one pays my way, but me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or