U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 09:05 AM

2,922 posts, read 1,025,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlguy44 View Post
I guess having grown up and spent most of my life in the Latin American and Caribbean region, but living in the US for the past 20 years, I am able to see things from both the perspective of a "native" and "expat". Have no desire to go back there at all as in that region, the level of infrastructure and convenience to which I have become accustomed in the US, just does not exist! Not that I could not have done so as I owned property there until recently, and traveled back and forth often. I'm sure it's a fit for some but certainly not for me.
Well said. I also grew up in the Caribbean and traveled Latin America, have seen it both as a native and tourist. While I'm sure I could adapt to living in area again I have concerns about living permanently there as I have become accostumed to life in the US. Still considering a move when I retire in 3 years but if I do it will be a short 6 month or so to see how it goes. I have never been a fan of the " manana" in Latin America attitude that drives me nuts so either I overcome that or stay put.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2017, 09:09 AM

2,215 posts, read 746,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
Thanks. It was very interesting. I find it a shame that retired ppl without a lot of money feel the need to move to a different country to be able to live on the money they have. Too bad the US doesn't take care of it's own.
It has to do with COL, not what a government provides.
None of these retired folks can emigrate and expect the government to take care of them.
If anything these governments demand that you show them you can live independently and have the financial resources to do so.

They moved because their money goes further and provides a better quality of life.

Old 09-17-2017, 03:35 PM

7,118 posts, read 3,480,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
It has to do with COL, not what a government provides.
None of these retired folks can emigrate and expect the government to take care of them.
If anything these governments demand that you show them you can live independently and have the financial resources to do so.

They moved because their money goes further and provides a better quality of life.
We moved out of US for various reasons, little of it having to do with money. Mostly it's the culture that we're attracted to, and our growing dislike of American culture as we aged. A lot of it is the weather as Lake Chapala was the choice of National Geographic for second best climate on earth.

Old 09-17-2017, 04:07 PM

3,803 posts, read 2,026,515 times
Very nice thread OP!

I will be looking more to CA and SA as I near retirement. I can be conversational en Español which is a big plus.

Currently, my back-up plan is Philippines where I already fully paid a condo there with a spectacular view of the skyline from the comfort of my balcony.
Attached Thumbnails
Just back from Central America-capture03.jpg   Just back from Central America-capture01.jpg   Just back from Central America-capture02.jpg  

Old 09-17-2017, 05:13 PM

4,733 posts, read 10,338,846 times
^ Looks nice.

If you don't me asking how much does a 2 bedroom condo cost in that building?(in dollars)

Old 09-18-2017, 11:15 AM

2,930 posts, read 1,600,561 times
This is a crossroads I'm at, I'm deciding right now where to go this winter to explore for possible expat retirement. It's a combination of things for me: obviously living well for less $$; a childhood dream to live abroad; also constant relocation in the first half of adulthood & always considerable traveling plus having close family overseas that I visit regularly give me a different perspective than most Americans I think, even the primary job I retired from was a very international/multicultural environment. And now the direction of US culture, particularly in recent past, I'm not comfortable with esp. for the limited years I have left.

I spent a considerable time, years, visiting various SE Asia countries & finally decided the relentless heat & humidity weren't for me (but both Chiang Mai & Penang are in my back pocket if things really go south financially for me or the US... not likely). Same for Latin America mostly tho I am looking seriously at Lake Chapala & SMA. But I will most likely visit Spain or Portugal this winter, check out one in the off season to see a non-holiday view of some places.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:24 AM

7,983 posts, read 11,685,256 times
I could do it if I had a lot of money which sort of defeats the whole COL of rationale. I would want to be able to freely fly back and get medical care, walk away in case of of a military coup etc. etc. etc. The single making friend problem is everywhere. I think in ex pat communities it would be less of a thing simply because there is the smallness of the community.

Old 09-18-2017, 12:03 PM

234 posts, read 179,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
Is not for everyone and certainly not for those expecting it to be just like the US. But there are advantages and disadvantages you must weigh it out, research it just as if you were moving from California to Mississippi
Why would any human do this?

Old 09-18-2017, 06:43 PM

3,803 posts, read 2,026,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
^ Looks nice.

If you don't me asking how much does a 2 bedroom condo cost in that building?(in dollars)
I like bargains. The area I'm in has 2 bedrooms around $120K.

Old 09-19-2017, 05:32 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,180,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
My experience has been quite different. I've been to a ton of Thai restaurants in the US and none of them are the same as in Thailand. Take green chicken curry for example, in the US they know people don't like the look of Thai eggplant so they usually replace it with stuff Americans are more familiar with.

In Thailand I can often choose from many different types of som tum. Can get the kind with the little soft brined crabs, boiled eggs, cockles, noodles, shredded mango instead of papaya, etc. Below is a picture from a menu at a restaurant we went to often in Thailand, that is all types of som tum where 70 baht = $2. In the US a restaurant might just list "papaya salad" and that's it.

In Thailand I also have far more choices for sour Isan style sausages that have become so popular across the rest of Thailand, or soups like khao soi whereas US Thai restaurants for soup usually just have tom yum or tom ka. When you do get a soup or dish with meat the places in Thailand or better because they aren't afraid of bones and fat like in USA, there is a big difference between a whole tender chicken leg in your soup versus the slices of breast meat that are usually given in USA restaurants.

I can think of countless other examples for Thai food and others especially Chinese.

Apples and oranges. When people say this they are usually comparing the cost in some undesirable place in Kentucky with an apartment in the city center or on the beach in a 3rd world country.
I agree the food is better there, but then ... I can't forget my experiences trying to deal with lawyers and legal matters. A complete nightmare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or