U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 05:50 AM

7,980 posts, read 11,661,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
But I will most likely visit Spain or Portugal this winter, check out one in the off season to see a non-holiday view of some places.
My memory is very foggy on this but wasn't there some event in the last few years, some change in either law or perhaps financial situation where the expats from the UK were pretty upset because of some negative impact? I don't think it was Brexit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 07:28 AM

3,803 posts, read 2,016,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
My memory is very foggy on this but wasn't there some event in the last few years, some change in either law or perhaps financial situation where the expats from the UK were pretty upset because of some negative impact? I don't think it was Brexit.
Immigration

Old 09-20-2017, 07:36 AM

10,343 posts, read 9,379,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
I couldn't do it. I like the US, our way of life, its history, and the general culture. I would always feel like a foreigner living in another country and I would be afraid of political instability. The only place I might be able to do it would be my ancestral country in Europe, since I still have some family there and I know the language and customs. But even that would be a big change for me.
And that's correct: you would be just that (in bold).

Old 09-20-2017, 01:23 PM

12,700 posts, read 14,077,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
I couldn't do it. I like the US, our way of life, its history, and the general culture. I would always feel like a foreigner living in another country and I would be afraid of political instability. The only place I might be able to do it would be my ancestral country in Europe, since I still have some family there and I know the language and customs. But even that would be a big change for me.
I emigrated to Portugal in January 2000, and except for a three-year stint in Cyprus, have always lived here in the same town.

The remark that I have bolded above sticks out for me because just yesterday I said to someone that I had never felt as settled and happy in my life as I have in our town, except for the first eighteen years of my life in growing up in a town in western NY State. They are like matching bookends of my life.

I am a foreigner of course, but I never walk around feeling like anything other than a guy in his familiar hometown. I don't feel like a foreigner, nor American...I just feel like me living my life.

I am inclined to think, based on what I observed, that a fair number of foreigners work very hard at being foreigners. Near to me is a store owned and run by an English couple who have been here more than twenty years. The woman manages the store. She still cannot speak the local language except at a very basic level, she routinely makes deprecating comments about the Portuguese, she has no Portuguese friends and at night she and her husband return to their English enclave community.

After twenty plus years here, it has required a lot of work to stay that actively an outsider. It is an act of will.

Old 09-21-2017, 04:15 AM

7,101 posts, read 3,461,680 times
After living in Mexico full-time 2008-2012, I never felt 'right' back in the US when we returned for eldercare issues with my FIL. After he died in late 2015, we knew we wouldn't remain in the US. We have since returned to MX, the same village in which we had previously lived. It is where we are most comfortable. It boils down to that.

Old 09-22-2017, 05:24 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,213,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I love the US, and could not imagine going to another country to live. Very happy right here.
I could live in Germany - or possibly Thailand....couldn't possibly handle Central America though. But as I get older and older, I know that being in the United States is the right thing for me. My community has the support that one needs (medical, social) as he/she gets in 70's and beyond.

Old 09-22-2017, 09:42 AM

2,910 posts, read 1,588,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Actually I believe that it is Brexit that has thrown their lives into uncertainty, they are unsure of their status at this time as retirees in EU countries.

Old 09-22-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Actually I believe that it is Brexit that has thrown their lives into uncertainty, they are unsure of their status at this time as retirees in EU countries.
You are right, Brexit clouds the whole issue of rights of Englanders in the EU, once GB leaves the EU. Before Brexit, Englanders could retire to Spain and enjoy access to health care there (or any EU country); it is unclear how Brexit will affect this.

Our research found that European countries are not as friendly to US expats (non-Schwengen) when it comes to health care and permanent visas. Then there's the distance factor from the US.

We still want to use our Medicare when feasible (I start on Medicare late this year). Our Medigap is very cheap (through ex employer) and covers us the first 60 days outside the US (with some limitations/caps and copays, but overall generous). Every few months I can fly cheaply from GDL non-stop to DFW or HOU in under 2 hours, do some shopping and 'reset' that 60 day period. Others here (Lake Chapala) drive up to TX in 10 hours, same deal.

Last edited by dothetwist; 09-22-2017 at 10:31 AM..

Old 09-23-2017, 11:15 AM

3,093 posts, read 821,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
After living in Mexico full-time 2008-2012, I never felt 'right' back in the US when we returned for eldercare issues with my FIL. After he died in late 2015, we knew we wouldn't remain in the US. We have since returned to MX, the same village in which we had previously lived. It is where we are most comfortable. It boils down to that.
I've been following your posts - and ClarkPark's - with interest. Retired here, but still pretty much wedded to the US with a kid in school (college now, but she lives at home). Not sure I'll ever feel comfortable a 10 hour flight or more away so I'm starting to consider a second home this side of the Atlantic / Pacific.

Your posts have me fascinated with your village in Mexico with lots of hours spent reading over the last few days. So far the biggest drawback is Mexico's taxation on worldwide income. I've only run the numbers in my head but my overall US/Mexico income tax bill would be substantially higher (not even considering anything that Jalisco might add on) than it would for a country like Panama or Costa Rica that only taxes income earned in-country.

Sure, I could easily spend less than 183 days in Mexico and will (at least for now) maintain another US "abode." But short-term rentals are a drag. No interest in buying (at least at this point). I've seen sublets available online. Maybe that's what folks in my situation do? Rent on an annual basis then sublet for the period they are out of the country.

Feel free to DM me, if this gets too personal.

This is still a few years away so we're just starting to check out various countries. This winter's trip will be to Nicaragua but that's more for simple tourism even though we'll be visiting San Juan Del Sur where there are some ex pats. My grandparents used to winter in Cuernavaca where I can still remember the fantastic food!

Old 09-23-2017, 12:56 PM

Are you retired or still working? Would you work IN Mexico?

MX does not tax passive income of expats (pensions, interest, dividends, IRA/401K withdrawals). However it will tax interest or dividends from MXN banks/stocks.

MX world wide income approach is the same as the US....on its own respective citizens, not on expats (again, unless they have MXN sourced income).

Last edited by dothetwist; 09-23-2017 at 01:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or