U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 06:11 PM

3,007 posts, read 2,180,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by borninsac View Post
I don't think I'm the only retirement planning in process mule in the barn who spends time reflecting on my yesteryear past while planning my future as a retired person. I found the following video enjoyable.

My two take-aways: The old manual typewriter brought back 10th grade high school typing class memories of banging out 43 words per minute typing test performance using one of them manual beasts. A buddy and I took the class because it was loaded with girls. The other take-away was Sambos Restaurant. Did time there while on vacation in Santa Monica.

Some of those stores I don't recognize, maybe they're east coast ones.

Enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoDXTAajEzY
I miss at least 90% of those things and the world is a bleaker place with them gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 06:16 PM

10,396 posts, read 9,411,463 times
Great video and very fond memories, thanks for posting!

Remember when we took the tubes out of our tv's and took them to the store to check them out, and buy new tubes if needed? Our location in town was Thrifty Drug Store.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:47 PM

174 posts, read 109,000 times
Aw, what a great trip back in time that was! Gosh, it really brought back a time that was so simple and easy. Wish my kids had known what life was like then. Thanks for sharing that. I sure had forgotten about a lot of those things and some of those restaurants. Good times!

Old 08-02-2017, 07:31 PM

45 posts, read 21,989 times
When I was young, my sister and her husband picked me up to take me out to eat. We were driving around in a heavy rainstorm, making lots of wrong turns, when suddenly the sun burst through and a rainbow shimmered above a beautiful old home. "Wow!" I gasped, as we made another turn. "I want to live there one day!"

"Yes", my brother-in-law agreed. "I've always wanted to live at Steak and Ale, too!

Old 08-02-2017, 07:43 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,772,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
But with the infernal tiny touch screen it's back to people hunched over looking at their two fingers (or thumbs) pecking slowly away.

Yes, I understand what you are saying. But my point was that even now, in 2017, I do email on a computer with a keyboard, not on a phone, and when I create Word documents for business purposes, I do it on a computer with a keyboard, not on a phone. Therefore my typing skills are being used, and are saving me much time, even now in 2017.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:44 PM

23,891 posts, read 8,346,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUSMUSIC View Post
Thank you for that video. Some of those stores were on the east coast. I lived in PA near a Korvettes (department store), Gimbels (department store), and also Robert Hall, a clothing store. I don't remember having a Montgomery Ward store nearby. You could buy records cheaper at Korvettes than at the local Record Store. I think 45 singles were only 88 cents!

My high school typing class had all girls.
Gimbels, remember it well. Kaufmans, Joseph Horne all in Pgh. Great stores.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:52 PM

10,143 posts, read 12,413,259 times
Not far from us there is an original A&W Root Beer stand that has been run by the same family the same way from the mid 1950's. Nothing has changed at all... a trip back in time.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:09 PM

996 posts, read 866,299 times
That was wonderful! So many great memories.

I got all excited the other day when I saw this headline in our local paper: https://vista.today/2017/08/west-che...-horn-hardart/

Turns out they're going to bring back the packaged Horn & Hardart coffee. Darn! I was already planning to take our nieces and nephews to the shop where you deposit your coins and pick your prepared food out of the "automat food dispenser." Hmmm, now that I think of it, it was kindof a precursor to fast food, wasn't it? But really, lots more fun!

Old 08-03-2017, 04:53 AM

64 posts, read 35,769 times
WOW, that brought back great memories.

Burger Chef was my very first fast food experience (if Horn and Hardart does not count as fast food) when we moved to Willingboro in 1/65.

Also, restaurants I loved and miss that were not mentioned when we lived in NE Phila...
Howard Johnson and Bob's Big Boy.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:40 AM

2,442 posts, read 1,681,459 times
Great nostalgia! So many old things and recent things that are gone. It's amazing really. The pace to being obsolete is quickening, but new things continue to fill the void. I love looking back, but I like looking forward too and being in the present.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement