Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 06:54 AM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times

Advertisements

So I plan to retire mañana still in my 50's but I am wondering if I will miss working. Making social connections not through work? Do people value you less if you don't work? What has been others experience?

For context, I've been working as a Consultant for an Engineering company and have worked all over the world and I don't know what a 40 hour work week is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 07:09 AM

7,179 posts, read 9,306,900 times
I was "retired" in my mid-50s and I found that I mostly missed the social environment of working with very smart people.

So I returned to work at age 61 and loved every minute.

Now at 66, I'm again retired but now I make an effort to stay connected. Luckily, most of my friends are now retired so we have frequent meetings.

I don't think people value you less if you don't work. But some get jealous.

I always thought it was ironic that those who want to retire can't afford it, but those that can afford it don't want to retire.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:12 AM

483 posts, read 665,174 times
Miss working? Hold on a second while I laugh out loud.

There...I'm back after rolling on the floor. Now where was I? Oh yeah...miss working?

Uh oh...I feel another hysterical laughing fit coming on again. I'll have to get back to you later...

Old 12-22-2015, 07:23 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
So I plan to retire mañana still in my 50's but I am wondering if I will miss working. Making social connections not through work? Do people value you less if you don't work? What has been others experience?

For context, I've been working as a Consultant for an Engineering company and have worked all over the world and I don't know what a 40 hour work week is.
Congratulations and happy new year/new life.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I was "retired" in my mid-50s and I found that I mostly missed the social environment of working with very smart people.

So I returned to work at age 61 and loved every minute.

Now at 66, I'm again retired but now I make an effort to stay connected. Luckily, most of my friends are now retired so we have frequent meetings.

I don't think people value you less if you don't work. But some get jealous.

I always thought it was ironic that those who want to retire can't afford it, but those that can afford it don't want to retire.
Ha, pretty true...my VP makes I would guess between $500K-$600K/yr and he says he will never retire unless they force him to. His job is his life, does he need the money...nope. My brother is a millionaire in double digits and he also says, he will never retire and still works every minute he's breathing.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
Congratulations and happy new year/new life.
Thanks, I'm leaving without any reservations and look forward to the new adventure.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:48 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
Ask yourself a few questions. Do you miss work on your days off? When you take a vacation, do you miss work and can't wait to get back. Do you wake up early the first morning back to work, in giddy joy because you get to go back to work? Do you even go in early, you love your job so much? By now you should know the answer.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:50 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,898,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpakrfan View Post
Miss working? Hold on a second while I laugh out loud.

There...I'm back after rolling on the floor. Now where was I? Oh yeah...miss working?

Uh oh...I feel another hysterical laughing fit coming on again. I'll have to get back to you later...
What is so hard to understand that not everybody shares your attitude about their jobs/careers? Lots of people miss working.

Old 12-22-2015, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Ask yourself a few questions. Do you miss work on your days off? When you take a vacation, do you miss work and can't wait to get back. Do you wake up early the first morning back to work, in giddy joy because you get to go back to work? Do you even go in early, you love your job so much? By now you should know the answer.
To be honest, no I don't miss work when I'm away although I miss some of the people and the paycheck sure is a wonderful benefit.

Old 12-22-2015, 08:21 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
To be honest, no I don't miss work when I'm away although I miss some of the people and the paycheck sure is a wonderful benefit.
I retired 11 days ago and don't miss work. I will probably miss some people and be glad to not have to deal with others. The paycheck is replaced with a pension and SS, so that's a wash.

Being free from having to do things and having to go somewhere is wonderful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement