U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 09:06 AM

2,987 posts, read 1,216,438 times

Advertisements

I stopped clicking after a few but Bethlehem, PA???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 10:48 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,846,832 times
This one floored me. Lewiston Maine? I grew up in that town. I couldn't wait to get out. I'll visit family but just not my idea of a place to retire.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:56 AM

10,425 posts, read 8,782,146 times
There are so many individual requirements and preferences that make list such as these useless for me.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:01 AM

13,047 posts, read 10,437,354 times
It's all about decision criteria.

If you dislike disgusting humidity and bugs, that rules out about 2/3 of the list.

If you add in an airport that is a hub so you can get non-stop flights to world-class destinations, that rules out most of the rest.

If you like world-class entertainment and fine dining, several locations not on the list would be included & would jump to the top of the list.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:15 AM

1,514 posts, read 680,685 times
Default surprising...

Most of these places are definitely "out of the way." You'd think the Forbes readership would be more oriented toward big metro areas.

But OMG... houses for 150 or 160k??

Old 08-04-2017, 11:41 AM

1,083 posts, read 712,419 times
Not sure about the other areas but Bella Vista population of 28,000 according to Forbes is part of the Northwest Arkansas (NWA) metro with a population over 500,000. There is a regional airport with nonstop flights to 14 major metros.

Old 08-04-2017, 12:29 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,735,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Most of these places are definitely "out of the way." You'd think the Forbes readership would be more oriented toward big metro areas.

But OMG... houses for 150 or 160k??

Just what I was thinking. If people don't mind living in "out of the way" places, then the perfect financial solution is at hand - move to one of those places where the houses are practically free, buy one of them, then pocket the large sum of money left over from cashing out one's home equity in the normal world and buying the $160k house. It's a recipe for living like a king!

But I conclude that not all that many people want to live in out of the way places, otherwise the housing prices would not be so low, being that supply and demand is a primary determinant of price.

Old 08-04-2017, 01:30 PM

3,956 posts, read 1,648,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
This one floored me. Lewiston Maine? I grew up in that town. I couldn't wait to get out. I'll visit family but just not my idea of a place to retire.
Fargo is another one. I personally like the cold, but I'm pretty sure most people in their 60's wouldn't want 0 degree temps every day for 4 months of the year.

Old 08-04-2017, 01:41 PM

71,957 posts, read 83,612,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
Hmmmm....after reading entire list, half of these locations "rank low on the Milken Institute list of successful aging." Now how can that be? And wouldn't want to live in 80% of these state suggestions. Guess every criteria is different. Back to the drawing board...
that is exactly why I have always said, these lists are as good as the minute they come out; that is it and it depends so much on what a person expects from retirement. Of course there are some places that are very good for retirement, and some not so, but I noticed the same as you mentioned: 2 lists, 2 days, totally different.

BTW: we live in Bella Vista and it does seem to make several lists every year, if not BV itself, the NW corner of AR. At least we do have bragging rights for awhile.

Old 08-04-2017, 01:46 PM

71,957 posts, read 83,612,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
None of the cities on the list appeal to me. There are reasons for lower cost of living, and inexpensive housing. For us that is only once consideration, with weather and proximity to entertainment, services, and family being more important. The places we are considering are within a couple of hours of a major city, and at about 10% over the national cost of living. The only place in our state on the list is Wenatchee, which we actually considered, but is a little too far out, and too hot/dry for our taste.
Just to let you know, not all those on the list are missing entertainment services, etc. and for many retirees lower cost of living is very important. I am not saying all on the list, including where we live are better or worse than where you have chosen to live, but you are being a bit judgmental to say the least. how many of the 25 cities have you personally visited? I will say, you are right about being near family.

jim9251; believe it or not: Bella Vista was number 2 on the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement