U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 02:15 PM

5,825 posts, read 13,322,905 times

Advertisements

I don't believe anyone can choose a place to live based on any of these lists. Where you live depends on each ones needs and wants, whether it be financial, climate or interests. The place where you retire will be somewhere that makes you happy, not statistically rated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 03:40 PM

3,351 posts, read 3,052,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
Hmmmm....after reading entire list, half of these locations "rank low on the Milken Institute list of successful aging." Now how can that be? And wouldn't want to live in 80% of these state suggestions. Guess every criteria is different. Back to the drawing board...

I wouldn't want to live in 100% of them!

Old 08-04-2017, 05:01 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,227,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
Ugh....26 click-thrus ?!?!?! No Thanks.

I've seen enough of these lists to know the usual suspects. Once I rule out the bad winters and the high COL areas -- We're happy where we are.
I quit after four clicks. I doubt if Tampa is on the list even though it seems the entire country has selected it to retire to,

Old 08-05-2017, 05:45 AM

72,014 posts, read 83,671,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
I wouldn't want to live in 100% of them!
and how many of them have you visited for any length of time or at all? That is like saying, I would never live in NO Cal when I know nothing about the place. There are a lot of people from CA, all over the state that choose to retire right here in NWA. People who visit for the first time are in awe of what all we have and the true natural beauty of the region. BTW, I will add, if I were moving back to CA, I would live in No Ca. I can say that because I really do know what it is like. The worst part of living in CA is the arrogance of some people and of course the government, but that is a different topic altogether.

Old 08-05-2017, 08:58 AM

26,008 posts, read 33,018,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Most of these places are definitely "out of the way." You'd think the Forbes readership would be more oriented toward big metro areas.

But OMG... houses for 150 or 160k??
For retirement? Hell no. I don't know any upcoming retirees that want to live ANYWHERE near a city.

Old 08-05-2017, 09:13 AM

2,216 posts, read 935,111 times
I clicked on the first 8 and that was enough for me. I just hope there are fewer people retiring to Florida. It is way too crowded here during season now,making it difficult to get around. Plus, the entire vibe changes here once the snowbirds arrive. Seems everyone brings their "up north" attitudes with them, which doesn't mesh too well, if you know what I mean.

Old 08-05-2017, 03:09 PM

4,659 posts, read 3,708,022 times
Fargo??? Good Lord.

Old 08-05-2017, 06:07 PM

4,629 posts, read 4,473,076 times
[mod note] Too much wandering 'off topic'. Multiple complaints. Please constrain discussion to the Forbes web article. [/mod note]

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Last edited by volosong; 08-05-2017 at 06:30 PM..

Old 08-06-2017, 09:29 AM

3,351 posts, read 3,052,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and how many of them have you visited for any length of time or at all? That is like saying, I would never live in NO Cal when I know nothing about the place. There are a lot of people from CA, all over the state that choose to retire right here in NWA. People who visit for the first time are in awe of what all we have and the true natural beauty of the region. BTW, I will add, if I were moving back to CA, I would live in No Ca. I can say that because I really do know what it is like. The worst part of living in CA is the arrogance of some people and of course the government, but that is a different topic altogether.
I have actually been to many of them. Peoria, AZ would be the closest but there are mucg better areas in the Phoenix area to live. So, no thank you. I have a very specific want list and a very specific "no f'ing way" way list, so I'm very secure in my wants/needs. A large city/metro area is a must and pretty much anything east of Denver (except urban Nashville and NYC) is on the second list. If I were to go smaller town, then mid to southern France would work.

Old 08-07-2017, 02:41 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,747,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Most of these places are definitely "out of the way." You'd think the Forbes readership would be more oriented toward big metro areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
For retirement? Hell no. I don't know any upcoming retirees that want to live ANYWHERE near a city.

There is certainly nothing wrong with a preference for rural/small town living in retirement - we all have our preferences. But I am curious to know what milieu you live in where not ANY of your friends/acquaintances who are "upcoming retirees" want to live "anywhere near a city"? I found that statement surprising, hence my question.

Notice I am not attempting to start a debate about the pros and cons of urban versus small town living, as I am aware of most of them on both sides.

But truly, it is interesting that so many of the 25 places on the Forbes list are pretty small population-wise, ranging from 8,000 people in Brevard, South Carolina on up to 30,000 or so (which I would still consider small). Other places on the list are considerably larger, of course, making for a wide variety. I imagine the Forbes people feel that these smaller places offer better values as to the cost of living, which makes sense because housing costs are probably the biggest single factor in cost of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement