U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 05:46 PM

1,350 posts, read 659,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saralvr View Post
We retired to a beautiful beach community, 4 seasons, lots of retirees just like us, so much to do, lower COL, beautiful new home.

Family loves to visit. So much to do here, they truly feel like they're on vacation, not just visiting mom and dad.

We skype and facetime and regularly see the kids and grands. Plus one child moved down they liked it so much.

Many people we've spoken to who live in communities like ours feel as we do, that we are truly living the retirement dream. No regrets.

Hope you all find your happy place!
Sounds just like a place we have been searching for in retirement.....care to share
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 05:46 PM

2,886 posts, read 1,413,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't you in your early 30's?

So how would your judgement about what older people do be based on anything other than a young person's POV based on a bunch of generalizations?

Of course you find it "bizarre". You haven't even lived half your working life yet.
And the stuff I liked/disliked/tolerated in my 30's is waaaaay different than whats important to me now that I'm approaching 60.

I used to enjoy winters when I was in my 20's. now i don't.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:13 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,362,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeste16 View Post
Long time lurker here and very occasional poster. I enjoy reading about everyone's choices....but:

Question......why won't people in these retirement threads say where they live? I don't mean nitty gritty specifics, but at least the area and state....southern California, northwest Kansas, etc.

It's very frustrating to read descriptions of places and how much people enjoy their retirement locations but won't say where. Some things might strike a chord with people......we live in a coastal community with great tennis, or we have lovely mountain views and mild winters......and people might be interested in investigating the area. It would really be helpful to those of us trying to figure out this next chapter. And actually, if the town/area is large enough why not just say.....Knoxville, TN, Sarasota, Fl.
This is one of my pet peeves also. I think the desire to remain anonymous is why people don't say where they live. But really, folks, nobody knows who you are here on C-D so stating your location wont give any meaningful clues about you. And it might help someone else to know where you are talking about, good or bad,

Old 08-12-2017, 09:13 AM
JRR

3,689 posts, read 2,236,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
This is one of my pet peeves also. I think the desire to remain anonymous is why people don't say where they live. But really, folks, nobody knows who you are here on C-D so stating your location wont give any meaningful clues about you. And it might help someone else to know where you are talking about, good or bad,
I've never been shy about where we relocated. Middle Tennessee, on the outskirts of Cookeville. When I walk in the morning, I'm looking at the first step up to the Cumberland Plateau, about a quarter mile away from my house.

Old 08-12-2017, 05:02 PM

41 posts, read 23,854 times
Ansible....thank you!

No one expects someone to say they live at 123 Oak St in Raleigh, NC....but can't you at least say Raleigh, NC? And unless you're using your real name, how would anyone find you?....even if they wanted to, which is probably unlikely.

Old 08-13-2017, 05:38 AM

6,956 posts, read 7,405,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
You don't understand... if us NYers didn't complain we would have an identity crisis! We would be Minnesotans or something!
Oh, we complain plenty here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or