Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 10:38 AM

6,357 posts, read 7,766,843 times

Advertisements

jghorton, because of my fascinating and well-compensated career, I was "stuck" in SoCal until I retired. However, I've been here for 66 years; a land of two seasons - a hot, dry summer and a not-so-hot wet summer. I desire to live in a different climate for whatever time I am still allotted on this planet. And, by moving to a lower cost-of-living area, my funds will allow me to experience a lot more than if I were to remain in SoCal.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 10:44 AM

547 posts, read 506,803 times
Doin time at my job so that I can comfortably live somewhere else when I retire

Old 08-03-2017, 11:14 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,887,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwnmo View Post
This is our dilemma. Neither kid is married so no grandchildren in the picture...likely for quite some time. Neither live in our home town where we still live. Starting to think about relocating...but to where? Kids will never live in the same state as each other nor in our current state and not sure if we'll ever have grandkids although we would love to be near them if we did. I just don't want to sit here waiting...ready to get on with our retirement planning.
We are close to a similar dilemma. One daughter, who just got married this weekend, and lives in New York City. There will undoubtedly be grandchildren. Soon. I would not be a bit surprised if they move back to the mid west, where they are BOTH from. BUT we are retiring to Florida next summer. JUST in time for them to move back, is my fear.
But...imho, you can't put your life on hold because of what MIGHT happen. In my ideal world, they would also move to Florida! But when I suggested this to my daughter, her response was "Florida is for old people!" irregardless of the fact Tampa has a lower average age than New York City does!

Old 08-03-2017, 11:23 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
We relocated to our retirement city about ten years before we will retire.

We also moved to a place were we already had friends so there would be little to no adjustment period.

It seems kind of dumb to me to move somewhere totally alien to you when you retire and not already have roots there.

Almost 700 miles I believe.

Old 08-03-2017, 11:27 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
I have lived all over so I was no stranger to relocating. I moved from Minnesota to Nevada, about 2500 miles. No kids, and most of my family is long dead so that's not a factor. The biggest adjustment was no decent jobs in my new location. I had originally planned on working for health insurance till I could get Medicare. But I could never find a job with benefits. They are all part time/low wage/no bennies.

Old 08-03-2017, 11:35 AM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,030,375 times
Pretty sure from everything I've read that over 90% of retirees stay right where they. and of the single digit percentage that move - over half of those simply downsize within a few miles of their current home.

I have kind of strange work hours, I go in later in the morning and come home early in the evening and for whatever reason I've started noticing just how many older people there are in my town. I see them walking, gardening, biking at 10AM on my way in. Same thing, in the summer I see a lot of gray hair walking and biking in the early evening on my way home.

With the last kid finishing HS I see a lot of grandparents that show up for the HS sports and school concerts to watch the grandkids. Family and roots, familiarity with an area, lots of reasons to stay in place.

Old 08-03-2017, 11:57 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,132,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
So from another question I recently asked, it seems that relocating to a lower cost of living during retirement seems to be a very popular option. I admit that for me it's not an option for 2 reasons, primarily family and loved ones and two, from my experience, every single person I know that relocated far from the place they spent the last 40 years ended up back within 2 years for various reasons. mainly folks who moved to Florida or Arizona and then hated it when they got there.

So if you have relocated, a few questions.

How far from your original home did you move?
What was your biggest adjustment?
If you have kids/grandkids do you see them often?
1. 700 miles Cape Cod to Weirton WV

2 Living in a house on a corner with just a few feet around us, whereas on the Cape we had 1/2 an acre. Also people yelling in the street and a lot more foot traffic and care traffic going by. we are a corner house with stop signs so every car or truck stops and starts up again, Noisy!

3. I have three grandchildren and I brought two of them with me, they and their family live with us, there parents came along with us to take care of us as we are both disabled. I don't get to see my third grandchild at all, which makes me very sad.

No intentions of moving back there ever though.

Old 08-03-2017, 12:03 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,280,356 times
I was in the service station in Greece when I retired. I could go ANYWHERE I wanted. I had a house in Texas that I didn't want to move back to (hated Texas with a passion). My mother lived in Upstate NY where I grew up. Didn't want to live there again. My sister lived in Oklahoma (where my car was while I was in Greece). She was trying to convince me to move there. I was tempted because family was there but I really didn't like Oklahoma (lived there before). As I told the story in another thread, I moved to where I wanted to-Vermont. Best move I ever made.

Cat

Old 08-03-2017, 12:17 PM

48,522 posts, read 34,843,322 times
We will move from Oahu, to probably.... Carson City.. so 3000 miles?

In part due to the cost of living, but also so we can travel more and have access to more activities.

Plus we wanted more seasons than hot, hotter and humid!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Last edited by Mikala43; 08-03-2017 at 12:34 PM..

Old 08-03-2017, 12:25 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,737,232 times
We moved 1,000 miles away from my family but closer to her family. The main reason we chose where we did was we wanted year round golf and no more winter. She died, but I stay here for the same reasons.

Last edited by johngolf; 08-03-2017 at 01:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement