U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 04:01 PM

21,960 posts, read 14,442,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
So from another question I recently asked, it seems that relocating to a lower cost of living during retirement seems to be a very popular option. I admit that for me it's not an option for 2 reasons, primarily family and loved ones and two, from my experience, every single person I know that relocated far from the place they spent the last 40 years ended up back within 2 years for various reasons. mainly folks who moved to Florida or Arizona and then hated it when they got there.

So if you have relocated, a few questions.

How far from your original home did you move?
What was your biggest adjustment?
If you have kids/grandkids do you see them often?
I've answered this in length several times before, so this will be short:

We moved 2,000 miles from our home city five years ago.

We had several adjustments, but we had visited our new home many times in the past decade. We had to adjust to a new church, new stores, new subdivision.

We see our grands at least once a week throughout the school year, and probably a couple times a month in the summer. We always keep the kids if asked. We never say no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 04:32 PM

2,631 posts, read 1,942,432 times
When I worked, lived where I had to live to be there when needed in certain number of minutes. So what. I was at work most of the time. When I retired I got two places - summer & winter places. I planned on that for 30 years. The housing crash and foreclosures helped a lot.

Old 08-03-2017, 05:46 PM

29,822 posts, read 34,912,438 times
Quote:
So from another question I recently asked, it seems that relocating to a lower cost of living during retirement seems to be a very popular option. I admit that for me it's not an option for 2 reasons, primarily family and loved ones and two, from my experience, every single person I know that relocated far from the place they spent the last 40 years ended up back within 2 years for various reasons. mainly folks who moved to Florida or Arizona and then hated it when they got there.

Retired and moved within a 24 hour period. No major adjustments and one son and family are now local.

Old 08-03-2017, 05:52 PM

564 posts, read 297,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retired58 View Post
Thinking of moving to Delaware from NJ as I am retired over a year. Still trying to figure out the Pros and Cons . Some of the Pros is lower property taxes car insurance no sales tax. Some of the Cons healthcare High transfer tax places to go out to eat(Italian food) and check you are not to close to chicken farms. Every state has it's pro and cons .So is this a bad move?
As former Marylanders we recently considered Delaware. Biggest con I've seen when looking at states to retire in is the high crime rate in Delaware. Kind of surprised me.

Moved 1850 miles from Maryland to the high Rockies for 18 years.
Just moved 1200 more to LA area.

None, really.

We do now. Triplets granddaughters and a grandson.

Old 08-03-2017, 05:57 PM

1,128 posts, read 791,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwnmo View Post
This is our dilemma. Neither kid is married so no grandchildren in the picture...likely for quite some time. Neither live in our home town where we still live. Starting to think about relocating...but to where? Kids will never live in the same state as each other nor in our current state and not sure if we'll ever have grandkids although we would love to be near them if we did. I just don't want to sit here waiting...ready to get on with our retirement planning.
Just figure out where YOU would be happy! You are wise to not base retirement place on kids. We see grandkids twice a year and it's fine. There are so many ways to connect daily.

Old 08-03-2017, 06:02 PM

364 posts, read 298,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusano View Post
I relocated about twelve years before retiring. I moved south to get away from ice and snow--I had seen so many "golden oldies" break hips etc in winter or get snowed in or have heart attacks from shoveling snow. I never liked the cold much or the winter grayness. I got a job that paid more in a lower cost of living area in a warmer climate, so it was a triple play. And it's pretty sunny in the winter. I have family eight hours north of me (by car) eight hours west of me and nine hours south of me. One of my kids moved down here also and is an hour away; no grandkids yet. I can't say I had much of any adjustment except the usual when taking a new job and packing/unpacking for the move. I don't dread the coming of winter any more.
I did the same, searching for a place years before retirement. I settled on Boca Raton, an easy flight from NY. I used it for my for vacations, becoming very familiar with my choice before retiring.I'm still curious about other areas that I may explore. Retiring can be stressful after decades of a routine so it takes some time to gear down.Sounds like many stay put and in a way I have also, not really a full time snowbird.Brutal winters are something I want no part of, so I have an escape thats like home. I would suggest anybody newly retired to go slow, maybe rent in your target area before moving completely.It's the old grass is not always greener analogy.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:52 PM

9,028 posts, read 2,792,309 times
Quote:

We only moved about 3 hours from our hometown. We rarely get back there. We left all our friends and what little family we have, jobs and the only life we had ever known. It was quite an adjustment. We knew though, that it was a financially sound decision. And development was ruining the area. We have no kids or grandkids, so that made it easier I think. This may be either a stepping stone for us, or a snowbird type situation. We're having a home built north of us for when the weather gets too hot here. Moving allowed me to be able to retire early, and for that I'm grateful.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:54 PM

8,413 posts, read 9,165,392 times
My story has been often posted here. Moved to our present location 15 years ago. Retired 1.5 years ago. No plans to move. If we chose to live near our grand kids we would have moved three times in the last 10 years. No thanks. Our life is built and we aren't gonna chase our kids around while they find their place in life. Skype, face time and plane fare. That's way better than uprooting one's life on a regular basis. A 1000 miles from home as I type. Rant over.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:08 PM

982 posts, read 145,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
The subject of moving when one retires comes-up frequently on this forum. It always strikes me as odd that people are motivated to uproot their lives to get away from where they live (or to where they want to live) after they retire, yet, do nothing about it for decades before retirement.

I suppose employment and family considerations come into play. However, if one really desires to live elsewhere (ie; get out of the snow and live somewhere warm), it seems sad that they spend so much of their lives doing something else. Also, it's a lot more difficult to get re-established elsewhere at retirement age.
I don't find it odd, or sad, at all. Capabilities, preferences, resources, etc. are different when you're 30 than when you're 60. People are also raised to accept their immediate environment as a model of how life should be lived and take the bitter with the better. Some people wake up to different lifestyle possibilities when they become adults. Some people stick with what they know their whole lives. I moved to New England at 30 to escape certain aspects of my life in NYC, where I grew up. It was a good move for me but the expense of living there compared to what I was able to earn and the harsh weather eventually got to me. I got nostalgic and returned to NY for many years, met and married my husband, we lived happily there until we hit retirement age and then realized our lifestyle was no longer sustainable. We moved south for the gentler weather and the more easygoing and way less expensive lifestyle more suitable for seniors. Life is not static. It evolves, ebbs and flows.

Last edited by barb712; 08-03-2017 at 10:17 PM..

Old 08-04-2017, 02:04 AM

13,345 posts, read 25,601,842 times
I will move 2200 miles in retirement next spring, from eastern MA/Boston area to southwest Colorado. I vacationed there many times and love the weather and views and have found that the community is really happening there, sustainable, older people, lots of transplants. I am building a house because rentals are so rare, and I adopt multiple dogs so will likely live my life out as a homeowner (unless I become so frail that I have to move to a retirement-type place much later).

I have no family to speak of. I came to the Boston area from south Jersey at age 20 (loathed south Jersey, more and more every year- ugly, humid, SPRAWL, traffic, the worst of suburbanization). I've left the Boston area three times for daydreams and collapsed back three times when my plans failed.

I certainly see moving somewhere one desires and having to wait for retirement to do it- mostly because people usually want to live in places that lack work, otherwise of course they'd move sooner not later, if they're moving at all. I bought and sold building lots twice where I plan to retire but couldn't figure out a way to live there, especially before the internet and the current progressive activity was happening. I thought (correctly, I'm sure) that I'd get isolated and depressed even if I could find one job and be driving down the mountain in the winter... It's a very different place now and I'm in a very different mind, to move there in retirement.

If I hadn't found this town that wouldn't let me go, I'd be looking for some way to spend summers away from Boston area. I loathe humidity and the summers just keep getting worse. I also need to get away from my attachment to being able to make money a 20-mile drive down the road. I need to stop working. I'm just all played out with the life I've been living here, near Boston, and working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or