U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 04:17 AM

1,697 posts, read 2,602,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
The subject of moving when one retires comes-up frequently on this forum. It always strikes me as odd that people are motivated to uproot their lives to get away from where they live (or to where they want to live) after they retire, yet, do nothing about it for decades before retirement.

I suppose employment and family considerations come into play. However, if one really desires to live elsewhere (ie; get out of the snow and live somewhere warm), it seems sad that they spend so much of their lives doing something else. Also, it's a lot more difficult to get re-established elsewhere at retirement age.
Well my goodness, people have to work for 3-4 decades BEFORE they retire and more often than not, can not choose their location, depending on their training and opportunities. Also, many of us stay to care for our parents and see them out of this world. So YES, employment and family considerations are PARAMOUNT for many, if not most of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 04:20 AM

3,431 posts, read 1,527,565 times
I might win the mileage count here. We were from SoCal and NJ, spent a decade in UT, then retired to Ecuador on the beach. I think it's about five thousand miles.

No kids; we wanted beachfront and could afford it here.

Pretty big cultural adjustment in every way, but we're adventurous and enjoy the challenge. I'd say not knowing Spanish is the biggest...but it's amazing how the ocean soothes over everything.

Old 08-04-2017, 07:47 AM

23,572 posts, read 17,544,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
The subject of moving when one retires comes-up frequently on this forum. It always strikes me as odd that people are motivated to uproot their lives to get away from where they live (or to where they want to live) after they retire, yet, do nothing about it for decades before retirement.

I suppose employment and family considerations come into play. However, if one really desires to live elsewhere (ie; get out of the snow and live somewhere warm), it seems sad that they spend so much of their lives doing something else. Also, it's a lot more difficult to get re-established elsewhere at retirement age.
Absolutely.

Take the proverbial family in the NYC rat race wanting to move to FL. Unless you're in some super niche, high paying field, move to FL. Get it over with. Life is too short to continue deferring things like that indefinitely. While no one is saving move immediately with no plan, lots of people defer things to retirement age, and by then may be too sick or have even died and never got to do what they want to do.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:37 AM

2,952 posts, read 1,636,421 times
^^^ that is what we did.

We moved to where many people go to retire while still working. And we are still working cause we love our business.

We could no longer take the crappy weather year round. Or the humidity.

Now we feel like we are retired even though we aren't.

Old 08-04-2017, 12:02 PM

1,827 posts, read 2,616,143 times
Moved to my 2nd home in the Blue Ridge mountains from South Florida...best decision I've ever made...i had to adjust to 4 beautiful seasons, clean mountain air, awesome people and the house of my dreams since I was a little girl growing up in NYC...a classic 1886 farmhouse...from the moment I came up to look at property in 2005 I knew it was where I belong! It's been the happiest time of my life

Old 08-04-2017, 12:10 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,729,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maus View Post
Interesting takes on where and why posters here retire. I'd like to live somewhere rural when I retire. I thought about being an expat, but I have no firm plans in place on where to retire. I'm still at least 2 decades away from retiring.
Your preference for rural living is a tremendous advantage, financially speaking. You are highly unlikely to be among those who report they are having trouble making ends meet!

Old 08-04-2017, 12:25 PM

1,071 posts, read 806,601 times
-----
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
so from another question i recently asked, it seems that relocating to a lower cost of living during retirement seems to be a very popular option. I admit that for me it's not an option for 2 reasons, primarily family and loved ones and two, from my experience, every single person i know that relocated far from the place they spent the last 40 years ended up back within 2 years for various reasons. Mainly folks who moved to florida or arizona and then hated it when they got there.

So if you have relocated, a few questions.

How far from your original home did you move? eleven hours

what was your biggest adjustment?there weren't any as i knew i wanted to retire here 20 years before i got here.

if you have kids/grandkids do you see them often?dont have the privilege of either..
---

Old 08-04-2017, 12:54 PM

26,295 posts, read 42,272,187 times
We are currently dealing with a parent (MIL) that lives 1,400 miles away. It was fine when she was healthy and active but now that her spouse passed, her health is questionable and she is losing her friends, she is beginning to rethink staying there. People tend to underestimate the costs involved in moving far away when they retire. There are costs associated with having to travel back and forth multiple times a year as well as the unfair expectation that their family would be willing to spend precious vacation time visiting them in some dull senior complex. I never understood why people do this unless your goal is to get away from friends, family and your past. Jay

Old 08-04-2017, 12:55 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,294,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
Just figure out where YOU would be happy! You are wise to not base retirement place on kids. We see grandkids twice a year and it's fine. There are so many ways to connect daily.
Totally agree with this!
I raised 6 kids and the youngest one will be graduating from HS next May. Once that happens, I'm outta here. I have lived in this state my whole life and it's time for a new adventure before I get too old to move. I want to be warm all the time. Humidity does not bother me. Florida is the place I want to be and the kids and grandchildren can visit any time they want once I move. They are all so busy with their lives that I hardly see them now so why should I stick around and delay my plans......heck no. Life is too short
You truly deserve to be happy so do it

Old 08-04-2017, 01:05 PM

1,527 posts, read 633,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I might win the mileage count here. We were from SoCal and NJ, spent a decade in UT, then retired to Ecuador on the beach. I think it's about five thousand miles.

No kids; we wanted beachfront and could afford it here.

Pretty big cultural adjustment in every way, but we're adventurous and enjoy the challenge. I'd say not knowing Spanish is the biggest...but it's amazing how the ocean soothes over everything.
That sounds great! I considered Cuenca and Guayaquil in Ecuador and Guadalajara/Laguna Chapala in Mexico. I do know Spanish, but decided it was just too far from the kids. I am very near the beach in NC, though, so that's something. I find the ocean very soothing as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or