U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 01:28 PM

71,926 posts, read 83,566,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
So from another question I recently asked, it seems that relocating to a lower cost of living during retirement seems to be a very popular option. I admit that for me it's not an option for 2 reasons, primarily family and loved ones and two, from my experience, every single person I know that relocated far from the place they spent the last 40 years ended up back within 2 years for various reasons. mainly folks who moved to Florida or Arizona and then hated it when they got there.

So if you have relocated, a few questions.

How far from your original home did you move?
What was your biggest adjustment?
If you have kids/grandkids do you see them often?
we relocated twice: the first time from Dallas to ABQ. We learned NM wasn't for us: the politics didn't match our ideas for the most part, we missed being a little closer to the kids and the poverty did bother us. We understand poverty, we certainly are not rich by anymeans and have lived many places where there is some, but some is one thing, a majority of the people is another.

We later moved here, to NW AR and love it. We are still many miles from our 2 youngest kids in Fl but our oldest, her husband and her 2 girls with their families all live with in 20 minutes of us. this was not the case when we moved here. Our daughter was in Texas, our oldest granddaughter in OK and the youngest one was just graduating from the University of AR. Even before the all moved here, we were closer to them than we were in NM.

We have had no real adjustments except we have never lived in a somewhat rural area before with 4 legged creatures everywhere. Oh, and we never lived anyplace where it takes 10 to 15 minutes to even get near a grocery store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 01:31 PM

71,926 posts, read 83,566,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Moved over a thousand miles away. Dumbest move I ever made.

Biggest adjustment the cost of living.

No kids.
Jim, we are waiting for you to come home to Hog country.

Old 08-04-2017, 01:36 PM

1,498 posts, read 1,188,667 times
2500 miles, San Francisco to Myrtle Beach
I wanted to live near the beach and my brother lives here.
No kids, but family visits often,
The saying "if you live at the beach, everyone will visit you" is true.

Old 08-04-2017, 01:42 PM

781 posts, read 892,668 times
Moved 3500 mi away, out of range of Kim Jung-Un's missiles.
Kids are down the hallway.
Had to adjust to bieng treated like a King and getting the biggest piece of chicken as well as waking up to a beautiful young wife every morning.

Old 08-04-2017, 01:52 PM

672 posts, read 837,449 times
We retired to a beautiful beach community, 4 seasons, lots of retirees just like us, so much to do, lower COL, beautiful new home.

Family loves to visit. So much to do here, they truly feel like they're on vacation, not just visiting mom and dad.

We skype and facetime and regularly see the kids and grands. Plus one child moved down they liked it so much.

Many people we've spoken to who live in communities like ours feel as we do, that we are truly living the retirement dream. No regrets.

Hope you all find your happy place!

Old 08-04-2017, 02:26 PM

4,229 posts, read 2,127,900 times
We could not have given up our season tickets in the Norfolk Southern Club at Nationals Park. In addition, it would have been hard to rebuild the social, medical, and other such networks built up over the decades here. So, while we did look around some, we ultimately decided to stay right here in the house and yard we had already gussied up for ourselves. It's been great.

Last edited by Pub-911; 08-04-2017 at 02:42 PM..

Old 08-04-2017, 03:06 PM

10,812 posts, read 8,056,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
How far from your original home did you move?
What was your biggest adjustment?
If you have kids/grandkids do you see them often?
1. 335 miles

2. Downsizing to a considerably smaller house was a major adjustment - but one that we found liberating and enjoyable.

3. Our two adult children had long ago moved thousands of miles away. We see them more often here because they enjoy visiting our new location more than they did visiting the town in which they grew up.

Old 08-04-2017, 05:20 PM

2,626 posts, read 4,949,307 times
I grew up in the Midwest. Upon graduating from college, I moved to south Florida where I worked 41 years at my career. Two years after retiring, I sold my home and moved back to Indiana. Last winter was my first real 'winter' in 43 years. Adjustments included: getting use to polite, considerate people, good drivers, much, much lower COL, no worries about hurricanes or the daily summer, ferocious thunderstorms. Housing, food, insurance, just about everything is much cheaper up here. I am totally happy that I made the move. I love having four seasons once again!

I have no children.

Old 08-05-2017, 12:00 AM

14,256 posts, read 23,974,521 times
I am originally from the Midwest. When I graduated from the university in 1981, during the real great recession, all my job offers were either in the east coast of the gulf coast. I accepted a job in the DC suburbs but was immediately transferred away. Over the past 35 years, I lived in eight locations, most in the Midwest.

During my work days, I visited every state in the US, every province in Canada, and the northern states of Mexico. Fifteen years ago, we developed a retirement list" as we had no intention to retire in Chicago.

I moved 1800 miles to Southern Arizona.

We have no children. Our families are all back in the Midwest. When we lived in the Midwest, no one came to visit. We were always the "visiting team" for all holidays and family events. If we are going to be traveling home for family events, we might as well live in an area we like. We have had more visitors in Arizona than Chicago.

Over the past ten years, my wife started feeling depressed during the winter months to the extent that it was making life miserable. We wanted to move to a place where it was generally sunny and the weather allowed us to be exercise outside all twelve months.

While some people on this board believe that you need to be in a major city to enjoy culture and the like, we have attended more concerts, foreign movies, art museums and other cultural activities than we did in thirteen years in Chicago.

Old 08-05-2017, 07:40 AM

688 posts, read 863,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retired58 View Post
Thinking of moving to Delaware from NJ as I am retired over a year. Still trying to figure out the Pros and Cons . Some of the Pros is lower property taxes car insurance no sales tax. Some of the Cons healthcare High transfer tax places to go out to eat(Italian food) and check you are not to close to chicken farms. Every state has it's pro and cons .So is this a bad move?

I lived for over 50 years in Maryland, and moved over 11 years ago to Delaware- mid-state, not Sussex county. I moved for totally personal reasons, but found that the cost of living here is much less than Md. , treatment of pensions, soc. sec. is more lenient, real estate taxes are unbelievably lower, and the services- at least where I am are not compromised because of it. The cost of homes, at least south of Middletown (excluding beach areas ) are very reasonable. As far as health care, I use Christiana Health Care, and find the quality of care, services offered, professionalism, are comparable to services in a much larger metropolitan area. However, I don't think the hospitals in Kent and Sussex counties ( Bay Health and Beebe ) are in the same league.

As far as chicken farms, that's not a problem or consideration in mid or northern Delaware. I don't know about Kent and Sussex counties.

Another plus is the proximity to larger metropolitan areas- Phil. and Balto. -when more complex health care,procedures are needed. Recently the S.O. had an outpatient procedure done at a hospital in Phil. Went up in the morning, discharged by 1pm, and home by 3.

Certainly a very personal decision- just some thoughts..

Catsy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or