Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 08:05 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,561,309 times

Advertisements

So from another question I recently asked, it seems that relocating to a lower cost of living during retirement seems to be a very popular option. I admit that for me it's not an option for 2 reasons, primarily family and loved ones and two, from my experience, every single person I know that relocated far from the place they spent the last 40 years ended up back within 2 years for various reasons. mainly folks who moved to Florida or Arizona and then hated it when they got there.

So if you have relocated, a few questions.

How far from your original home did you move?
What was your biggest adjustment?
If you have kids/grandkids do you see them often?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 08:31 AM

6,357 posts, read 7,768,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
1,200 miles

Quote:
seasonal length of daylight hours due to the high latitude - long summer days are great, short winter daylight hours is unsettling

Quote:
no - one child, no and probably not ever any grandchildren - she actually lives closer now

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Last edited by volosong; 08-03-2017 at 09:38 AM..

Old 08-03-2017, 08:57 AM

703 posts, read 612,917 times
I had not lived near "home" ie the place I grew up, for 20 + yrs before I retired. However, I did move about 1,000 miles from where I was living at the time I retired.

I moved for general economic/business climate, cost of living, population density, crime rates, etc. All the reasons that show up on most people's list of reasons to move.

Family and other human being related reasons were not considerations

Old 08-03-2017, 09:00 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Been here since 1975. Love being here. Have no plans to move anywhere.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:11 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,756,921 times
We moved 700 miles east from our childhood homes for work and stayed 32 years and have now moved 1,253 miles south from there five years ago.

Realizing summer here is like winter in the north, that took a few seasons

At least four days a week, sometimes daily. We live two miles away.

We moved away from family to pursue careers for 32 years. Retiring back there was never a thought: landlocked and winter weather. Our son and family live in a coastal FL town. It was an easy decision to move near them with beaches, no winter, lower COL with better quality of life overall for us. DH is still working, he had relocation expenses paid.

Do I expect to stay here without moving again? I try to not say never, who knows what's in store for us? I don't. I never saw the move here coming. I'm enjoying what we have now.

Last edited by jean_ji; 08-03-2017 at 10:34 AM..

Old 08-03-2017, 09:21 AM

404 posts, read 381,005 times
This is our dilemma. Neither kid is married so no grandchildren in the picture...likely for quite some time. Neither live in our home town where we still live. Starting to think about relocating...but to where? Kids will never live in the same state as each other nor in our current state and not sure if we'll ever have grandkids although we would love to be near them if we did. I just don't want to sit here waiting...ready to get on with our retirement planning.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:22 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
Moved over a thousand miles away. Dumbest move I ever made.

Biggest adjustment the cost of living.

No kids.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:14 AM

186 posts, read 175,626 times
Thinking of moving to Delaware from NJ as I am retired over a year. Still trying to figure out the Pros and Cons . Some of the Pros is lower property taxes car insurance no sales tax. Some of the Cons healthcare High transfer tax places to go out to eat(Italian food) and check you are not to close to chicken farms. Every state has it's pro and cons .So is this a bad move?

Old 08-03-2017, 10:23 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
We moved 8 miles.
The goal was to downsize our mortgage to zero$.
We also downsized our house by 100 (!) sqft.

I did a lot of thinking/reading about where to live in our old age.

My recommendation is: make a list of 5 aspects that are important to you. Now, start reading all the advice you can find.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:27 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
The subject of moving when one retires comes-up frequently on this forum. It always strikes me as odd that people are motivated to uproot their lives to get away from where they live (or to where they want to live) after they retire, yet, do nothing about it for decades before retirement.

I suppose employment and family considerations come into play. However, if one really desires to live elsewhere (ie; get out of the snow and live somewhere warm), it seems sad that they spend so much of their lives doing something else. Also, it's a lot more difficult to get re-established elsewhere at retirement age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement