U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 04:57 PM

1,927 posts, read 997,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I see you live in 'middle Tennessee'. As an example, I looked up Johnson City, Tennessee and nearby towns at Instacart.com and found that Instacart delivers groceries from Food City and Krogers for those towns. You could put your town and nearby towns into Instacart.com and see if they are delivering groceries for your town & area. It's a great service - and Instacart.com is all over the U.S. I use it a lot. Instacart delivers from Target too in many areas.

no town near me, but plenty of transportation opportunities I'm not worried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 03:30 AM

14,547 posts, read 17,597,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Great thread!

Yesterday I downloaded the Uber app for my phone and will use it Sunday to catch a ride to the airport.

I used to be a flight instructor/charter pilot in my younger years and my depth perception was excellent. That said it is not so good anymore and what I did as a matter of routine 40 years ago I would not do today. If I was still flying, I gave it up a few years ago, I would not fly at night nor would I fly under instrument conditions because I recognize I do not have what I once had.

I am starting to have problems at night especially when it is raining. This said I have already given up night driving... as Clint Eastwood once said "A man has to know his limitations". Sad but true.

I like renting for long trips. If I have a breakdown I simply call the car rental company and the breakdown is their problem. Last thing I want to deal with is to be 400 miles away with a bad transmission.
Before I moved, I had a succession of small old cars which still sort of ran. You had to know about their special secrets in order to sucessfully get home. And keep a phone and AAA's number handy. Before I moved, it was near sundown when I almost didn't stop soon enough, but from my judgement, there was room. My distance vision was a bit wonky from the previous surgery, since I saw distance but it wasn't true, and instead of bringing a car I couldn't drive we sold it to someone cheap and I quit driving

I had friends who lived here, and got to the store with their help. Later, I discovered the wonders of online shopping. I still miss being able to just GO OUT somewhere, but as I can't really tell how far away the cars are, better not to. If I still lived in a large city, there would be busses, but here you hope to have friends who help.

I installed Uber on my phone and it appears only one or two others live in this area, and didn't respond.

I've just changed the way I do things, and plan ahead for things requiring a ride and have just decided to relax and be glad for what I have, like my house and little four legged family. and when you try, problems seem to find solutions.

Old 02-11-2018, 03:48 AM

14,547 posts, read 17,597,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Great thread!

Yesterday I downloaded the Uber app for my phone and will use it Sunday to catch a ride to the airport.

I used to be a flight instructor/charter pilot in my younger years and my depth perception was excellent. That said it is not so good anymore and what I did as a matter of routine 40 years ago I would not do today. If I was still flying, I gave it up a few years ago, I would not fly at night nor would I fly under instrument conditions because I recognize I do not have what I once had.

I am starting to have problems at night especially when it is raining. This said I have already given up night driving... as Clint Eastwood once said "A man has to know his limitations". Sad but true.

I like renting for long trips. If I have a breakdown I simply call the car rental company and the breakdown is their problem. Last thing I want to deal with is to be 400 miles away with a bad transmission.
Before I moved, I had a succession of small old cars which still sort of ran. You had to know about their special secrets in order to sucessfully get home. And keep a phone and AAA's number handy. Before I moved, it was near sundown when I almost didn't stop soon enough, but from my judgement, there was room. My distance vision was a bit wonky from the previous surgery, since I saw distance but it wasn't true, and instead of bringing a car I couldn't drive we sold it to someone cheap and I quit driving

I had friends who lived here, and got to the store with their help. Later, I discovered the wonders of online shopping. I still miss being able to just GO OUT somewhere, but as I can't really tell how far away the cars are, better not to. If I still lived in a large city, there would be busses, but here you hope to have friends who help. There is a sr citizens center with a bus, but I'll have to make an appointment. I still miss just getting in the car and going where I want. But you have to deal in reality.

Of course with Amazon to fufill even your esoteric needs with one day shipping, and a little patience, its all good.

I installed Uber on my phone and it appears only one or two others live in this area, and didn't respond.

I've just changed the way I do things, and plan ahead for things requiring a ride and have just decided to relax and be glad for what I have, like my house and little four legged family. and when you try, problems seem to find solutions.

Old 02-11-2018, 09:49 AM

3,532 posts, read 1,563,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
And I find that sad, like a wino who drinks Thunderbird just to get drunk, or worse, just to avoid the DTs.

Almost any aspect of life can provide enjoyment beyond whatever prosaic necessities it might cover.

It's all personal preferences, and finances. I wouldn't say you are "missing out" just 'cause you may not enjoy horses, for example.

I enjoyed my Corvette back in the day. But that day is not this day---in retirement. Part of our financial planning for retirement was predicated on not having the expense of cars.

But good for you if you can afford all that! Love Corvettes. Driving is crazy down here, though. Not a sports car to be seen.

Btw, I enjoy my low-quality wine too. It's just not something I give a lot of thought to, so don't "waste" money on stuff I don't appreciate.

Old 02-11-2018, 11:59 AM

1,985 posts, read 4,638,746 times
Good topic for retirement.

Has anyone relocated for retirement and found a good city or area with: 1) good public transit, and/or 2) availability of ride-sharing? Some areas have "senior" transit services, but in my research and experience, those are limited and usually just for medical appointments and require advance planning.

At any rate, what towns, cities or areas are best for public transit and/or ride sharing that are not in the northeast or uber-expensive San Francisco?

Old 02-11-2018, 01:54 PM

24,008 posts, read 8,372,682 times
It's probably two months since I sold my car. FREEING is a good word and much more money in my checking acct...and not taking from savings to keep that auto going.

We have a lot of services thru a senior center and the recent one I'm hearing about is uber and our Big Blue Bus co. connecting for senior rides at like $1 each way. Otherwise our senior center has a ride service for 50cents to locations in our area. There are services too for all over Los Angeles for seniors.

I get grocery delivery from Vons and instacart (whole foods) and a few neighbors still help me...so I'm doing good after owning and driving an auto for 60 some yrs.

I'm still and forever working on my knee to keep walking and as usual avoid doctor's offices.

Old 02-11-2018, 05:52 PM

1,985 posts, read 4,638,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
It's probably two months since I sold my car. FREEING is a good word and much more money in my checking acct...and not taking from savings to keep that auto going.

We have a lot of services thru a senior center and the recent one I'm hearing about is uber and our Big Blue Bus co. connecting for senior rides at like $1 each way. Otherwise our senior center has a ride service for 50cents to locations in our area. There are services too for all over Los Angeles for seniors.

I get grocery delivery from Vons and instacart (whole foods) and a few neighbors still help me...so I'm doing good after owning and driving an auto for 60 some yrs.

I'm still and forever working on my knee to keep walking and as usual avoid doctor's offices.
Sounds like a good decision to get rid of your car. I would love to ditch the car, but my goal is to relocate first, get settled and then get rid of it if possible. It's a money pit, to say the least.

Your location (Santa Monica?) looks to be senior friendly, which I would not have guessed. Thanks for posting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or