U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 02:05 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,991,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
Re: The Seniors earning a living with Uber or Lyft, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought they had certain standards concerning age/make/model of cars and they had to be pretty new [maybe 5 yrs old or less?]. With the cost of new, or newly new cars these days, that is a HUGE chuck of change out of savings/investments for a Senior, along with the extra liability insurance. Or maybe people finance them, as long as you can find a car loan lower than the interest rate you are receiving on investments.....
The Uber driver who nearly hit me in a crosswalk last week was driving an eight year old Chevy Cobalt. Uber talks about all their standards but I think that it is all talk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 05:59 PM

23,770 posts, read 8,259,495 times
Hollyhockgarden: About leaving Phoenix I think you said..well my friend left San Jose after selling her house and made a nice bundle and bought in Tucson and loves it there...it's cooler than Phoenix. Higher up from what I understand.

Old 08-05-2017, 08:46 PM

3,044 posts, read 4,015,477 times
I lived in Santa Monica for a few years. No car needed, really. If you're already there why would you want to go anywhere else??? I just got on board the Gold Line with my .35 cent seniors pass....I'm good to go. Rode the bicycle up to the train, as in El Monte the run up Peck Road is only every damn hour. We're getting there!!

Old 08-05-2017, 08:55 PM

23,581 posts, read 17,567,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Use Uber or Lyft.

It's easier and much more convenient than driving yourself.

You need the ride, not a car.
Depends on how far you need to go, scheduling, etc. no one size fits all answer.

Old 08-06-2017, 05:05 AM

87 posts, read 53,341 times
This thread reminds me of the old joke about wanting to die peacfully in my sleep like Grandad, not screaming in panic like his 2 passengers as he drove the car off the cliff.
Back to serious, the accident rates for seniors can be worse than that for under 25's. My Mum was driving into her 90s and thankfully did not have a major accident, but her car looked like it had been in a dodgem derby with all the dings on the panels. She should have stopped driving a 5-7 years earlier than she did but we could not convince her to give up the keys. I hope I have better judgement about when to take up taxis / Uber than she did when it comes time.

Old 08-06-2017, 05:36 AM

4,840 posts, read 4,954,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWA View Post
This thread reminds me of the old joke about wanting to die peacfully in my sleep like Grandad, not screaming in panic like his 2 passengers as he drove the car off the cliff.
Back to serious, the accident rates for seniors can be worse than that for under 25's. My Mum was driving into her 90s and thankfully did not have a major accident, but her car looked like it had been in a dodgem derby with all the dings on the panels. She should have stopped driving a 5-7 years earlier than she did but we could not convince her to give up the keys. I hope I have better judgement about when to take up taxis / Uber than she did when it comes time.
The automobile accident rate vs age chart is a U shaped curve.

Ever wonder why insurance for 16 year old boys is so high? It's the start of that curve. One of 6 will have an accident during that first year of driving. It takes about 5 years of actually driving to become a good driver.

On the other end of that curve, it depends upon the rate of a senior's cognitive and physical decline. However, now the technology available in newer cars can help. For example, both of our cars have back up cameras and rear collision audible sensors. Seniors have a difficult time turning their heads, that helps to compensate.

The newest cars have automated emergency braking, blind spot detection, and cross traffic alert. If those technologies prevent even one accident, you get your money back.

Old 08-06-2017, 06:23 AM

7,101 posts, read 3,461,680 times
We could easily IMO, give up our cars. We own 2 homes, both in very walkable venues. For further distances, there are cabs or Ubers. But my partner won't consider giving up a car. I rarely drive and having nearly new 2 cars (one at each home) is expensive. I look fwd to the day when I can play, Driving Miss Daisy.

Old 08-06-2017, 10:24 AM

8,047 posts, read 5,893,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
We could easily IMO, give up our cars. We own 2 homes, both in very walkable venues. For further distances, there are cabs or Ubers. But my partner won't consider giving up a car. I rarely drive and having nearly new 2 cars (one at each home) is expensive. I look fwd to the day when I can play, Driving Miss Daisy.
I did not think US citizens could own property in Mexico?
"Making several assumptions here . . ."

Old 08-06-2017, 09:45 PM

7,254 posts, read 4,139,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
I can't take it with me, so I'll spend it while I'm here. We also have two houses and a newer vehicle at each house, plus a third newer vehicles to get us back and forth. We both drive on a regular basis, so having a vehicle for each of us is essential.

Old 08-06-2017, 10:50 PM

8,399 posts, read 9,143,473 times
Gosh what a depressing thread. So many of you are embracing getting old and giving up driving! "I can't wait to get too old and infirm so I too can give up driving"! Well guess what? With that kind of mindset you WILL arrive at that place soon! My FIL drove till he was 89 with no problem. In less than 10 years self driving cars will be the norm. I'll only be 77 at that point. Have no plans to stop driving any time soon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or