U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 07:54 AM

8,047 posts, read 5,891,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
<>Around us we see the elderly drivers crashing through walls and doors of restaurants and stores.
A leading cause of these accidents is diabetic peripheral neuropathy.
"Honey, I can't feel my feet!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 08:04 AM

9,126 posts, read 17,137,876 times
My Grandfather Best Friend, Spend most of his teaching career in one Pennsylvania school district, Moving from Math Teacher over the years up to superintendent of the District,

He was driving one day, and (Blacked out) wound up on a sidewalk. He realized there could be a child on the sidewalk and he could have hit the child. He turned the car off, left it sitting on the sidewalk and walked home. The cops found the car just sitting there. When they talked to him he said he was done driving he could not take the risk that he would hit one of "His" kids.

For the next 20+ year, he picked a few seniors each year to drive him after school to places he needed to be. After a few years it was the highest honor in the school to be chosen to be his driver. (A letter from him to any college president as a recommendation was like gold).

Old 08-09-2017, 09:29 AM

1,924 posts, read 988,935 times
Thank you all for inspiring me to make the call and sign up for my local government funded transit service. I don't feel like a sad sack or that I have given up at all I can still drive to the store, etc, but don't have to worry about my twice yearly trip to the doctor that was beginning to be a problem. It will be interesting to see how not having to make the drive affects my BP

I won't mind waiting. I can visit friends or spend time at the senior center as long as I am back at the meet up place at the right time.

I can also plan a trip to the grocery to stock up and see how that goes. By the time I decide to quit driving altogether, or the truck decides for me , I should be an experienced passenger.

$5 round trip. I bet lots of you have a similar program in your area.

Jam (OP) I hope your knee heals and you continue to feel confidant driving. Thank you for this thread. I have been thinking about this for awhile. I'm glad I finally made the call. I think this will give me more freedom and independence, not less.

yes, I know the van will probably stink, be early or late, be driven by someone who is not a person I would choose as a chauffeur

Old 08-09-2017, 09:33 AM

890 posts, read 677,078 times
After many years of my wife's encouraging her 89-year old father to quit driving after his multiple fender benders and hitting people, he may now be finally getting his day.

She reported him to the state DMV a couple years ago. He went in for an appointment and passed with flying colors. Since then, he's had more accidents and after a recent one, my wife reported him again. I heard so did his physician and perhaps the insurance adjuster handling his current claim.

Yesterday he had an appointment again with the DMV and they're putting him through various hoops that if he chooses to go through, he'll have to do on his own. My guess is that he'll fold his hand and call it quits.

Then, we'll all breath a sigh of relief.

Old 08-11-2017, 06:29 AM

11,985 posts, read 5,119,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
I agree. I am not ready to give up driving either. I expect though that I and DW are of an age that we will be able to have self-driving cars in our future. They are rapidly being tested and improved. Around us we see the elderly drivers crashing through walls and doors of restaurants and stores.
Self driving cars would be great but can you imagine how much they will cost when they are finally rolled out? I guess a few people will be able to afford them but not the public in general. It will take years if not decades for them to become common and affordable.

Old 08-11-2017, 06:46 AM

8,047 posts, read 5,891,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Self driving cars would be great but can you imagine how much they will cost when they are finally rolled out? I guess a few people will be able to afford them but not the public in general. It will take years if not decades for them to become common and affordable.
A lot of the accident avoidance features are available for 2018 models. Granted, Volvo is not exactly an econobox, and the car will not be an autonomous vehicle, but their goal for 2020 is an ambitious safety target. Other manufacturers pursue the same goal:
"Our vision is that by 2020 no one should be killed or seriously injured in a new Volvo car."
Vision 2020 | Volvo Cars

Old 08-11-2017, 12:01 PM

23,730 posts, read 8,251,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
Thank you all for inspiring me to make the call and sign up for my local government funded transit service. I don't feel like a sad sack or that I have given up at all I can still drive to the store, etc, but don't have to worry about my twice yearly trip to the doctor that was beginning to be a problem. It will be interesting to see how not having to make the drive affects my BP

I won't mind waiting. I can visit friends or spend time at the senior center as long as I am back at the meet up place at the right time.

I can also plan a trip to the grocery to stock up and see how that goes. By the time I decide to quit driving altogether, or the truck decides for me , I should be an experienced passenger.

$5 round trip. I bet lots of you have a similar program in your area.

Jam (OP) I hope your knee heals and you continue to feel confidant driving. Thank you for this thread. I have been thinking about this for awhile. I'm glad I finally made the call. I think this will give me more freedom and independence, not less.

yes, I know the van will probably stink, be early or late, be driven by someone who is not a person I would choose as a chauffeur

My knee is still a problem and probably the only remedy (maybe) is a knee replacement and I so fear going under the knife. THese are hard rehabs in the best outcomes.

One thing I know for sure I don't miss spending auto upkeep money....

Just got a letter from DMV saying my DL is suspended on 9/14 due to no auto insurance. I let my insurance lapse as I'm not driving.

It's a hard decision since I've been a good driver for over 60 yrs. But honestly I don't miss driving ... not a pleasure anymore. My friends shop groceries for me, I buy stuff online and have a major grocery order online for delivery once a month. Don't miss the rat race out there.

What few appts I need to make, friends have offered their services and then there is uber and we have a good amount of senior services re: driving them to places.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:55 PM

1,060 posts, read 489,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
My Grandfather Best Friend, Spend most of his teaching career in one Pennsylvania school district, Moving from Math Teacher over the years up to superintendent of the District,

He was driving one day, and (Blacked out) wound up on a sidewalk. He realized there could be a child on the sidewalk and he could have hit the child. He turned the car off, left it sitting on the sidewalk and walked home. The cops found the car just sitting there. When they talked to him he said he was done driving he could not take the risk that he would hit one of "His" kids.

For the next 20+ year, he picked a few seniors each year to drive him after school to places he needed to be. After a few years it was the highest honor in the school to be chosen to be his driver. (A letter from him to any college president as a recommendation was like gold).

Best story I've ever read on CD. Wish all seniors were as conscientious as this man.

Old 08-11-2017, 01:33 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,735,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMae521 View Post
Best story I've ever read on CD. Wish all seniors were as conscientious as this man.

Indeed. So many seniors suffer under delusions that they are still "O.K" to drive. I sometimes wonder if they really believe their own delusion or if they are just so selfish that they don't care.

Old 08-11-2017, 02:14 PM

23,730 posts, read 8,251,498 times
For me, before this knee issue and I still walked around town a LOT, I had to leave my auto overnight at auto mechanics and I walked home. Thinking back to how I felt walking home and NOT having a car to deal with was so freeing. I have to keep reminding myself of instances like this. Things have gotten pretty crazy on the roads since then too.

I drove a lot in an outside sales position, the U.S., parts of canada and mexico and very often rental cars when I would get to a destination. This I need to keep reminding myself. Owning so much less is so freeing.

Today a neighbor is cleaning out two cupboards of dishes, bowls, and other things I know I will not use. She earns a little money and more freeing here...the stuff will go to a homeless shelter.

Letting go is so freeing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or