Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 12:31 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times

Advertisements

Last year when my hubby was 73 and I was 70 we drove across country doing 530 miles per day for 4 days and first and last day we did 530 miles total for more than 2,500 miles from near Charlotte, N. C. to Lake Tahoe. We had three choices for routes and took the one for I-80 because we had never been on I-80 before. Only problem we had is when we went through the salt flats my skin got so dry it broke out in a rash. We take turns. He drives about twice as much as I do because I admit he is a better drive. Then we drove around Lake Tahoe. We love going on road trips. We drive a Chevy Impala and he thinks he is Jimmie Johnson. LOL Not really but it is really driver friendly and handles great. It has a sun roof and a spoiler.

However we both realize our traveling days are as numbered as our health. Luckily our county has a senior and handicapped driving service. We will use it when we get to that point. You just have to call them and let them know the day before you need to go somewhere. They have a lift for wheel chairs too. There are so many of us anymore with the baby boomers getting there that we see their vans almost everywhere we go. They even go into Charlotte when someone has a doctor's appointment there. Otherwise it is in county only.

Last edited by NCN; 08-05-2017 at 12:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 12:52 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
I'm only 69, but I have MS and driving is difficult. I do drive around our retirement community and to an adjacent grocery/drug store. But I've started using UBER this summer for everything else and I love it! Much more affordable than a cab and nicer cars and drivers too. Glad my kids got me an iphone encouraged UBER!

Old 08-05-2017, 01:51 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
20/20 is not the issue. Since my cataract surgery I am better than 20/20. My depth perception is poor however,
I hear you, that's tough, and I wish you all the best. Sorry that you misinterpreted my post.
What I meant was that altho I lucked out for now in marrying a younger man with overall good vision (including depth and night perception), that will likely bite me in years to come, in that it will make it all the harder to get him to give up driving.

Old 08-05-2017, 04:45 AM

7,185 posts, read 9,320,007 times
My Son lives in San Francisco. Although he is 33 and very successful, he does not own a car. He uses Lyft and Uber or public transportation exclusively.

When we visit, we use Uber from the airport to his place. With Uber we generally get a newer car, an educated driver, and it costs one half as much as a taxi.

With a taxi, you get a ride in an old rattle trap, an uncertain driver who may or may not be competent, and you pay too much.

Old 08-05-2017, 07:36 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
I'm 72, and although all the other aging aches and pains don't bother me, the one thing I am not looking forward to is the day I can no longer drive. Cars are my passion, and even today I am building one high performance daily driver and another drag race car for myself.

I realize that day will come at some point, but I sure am not looking forward to it. Driving for me is more than point a to point b, I love the feel of a car moving and the sounds it makes. That is the one aspect of getting older I am not wanting to think about. Maybe I will simply die before that time comes .

Old 08-05-2017, 10:15 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Last year when my hubby was 73 and I was 70 we drove across country doing 530 miles per day for 4 days and first and last day we did 530 miles total for more than 2,500 miles from near Charlotte, N. C. to Lake Tahoe. We had three choices for routes and took the one for I-80 because we had never been on I-80 before. Only problem we had is when we went through the salt flats my skin got so dry it broke out in a rash. We take turns. He drives about twice as much as I do because I admit he is a better drive. Then we drove around Lake Tahoe. We love going on road trips. We drive a Chevy Impala and he thinks he is Jimmie Johnson. LOL Not really but it is really driver friendly and handles great. It has a sun roof and a spoiler.

However we both realize our traveling days are as numbered as our health. Luckily our county has a senior and handicapped driving service. We will use it when we get to that point. You just have to call them and let them know the day before you need to go somewhere. They have a lift for wheel chairs too. There are so many of us anymore with the baby boomers getting there that we see their vans almost everywhere we go. They even go into Charlotte when someone has a doctor's appointment there. Otherwise it is in county only.

I was on the road a lot while growing old, outside sales and lots of road trips up and down coast, wine country....ah those were the days...such fond memories.

Sounds like that cross country drive was great. Good that you and DH have a great sounding time with each other...some of us didn't get that but we got other stuff. It's all a crapshoot. And maybe the star one is born under.

At one point I thought I'd love to move to Santa Barbara area for later years, but never did.
At one point I was going with a guy for a while and we talked about RVing it across the country, but never worked out, the relationship that is. That would be a tough one on a trip with someone that isn't a good companion, like a bad bad roommate.

Then before I knew it I'm 79 very soon. Where did it go, but it did. I'm comfortable where I am ending up.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:42 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
I'm 65 and live 20 miles from civilization, no food delivery, no Uber. I HAVE to drive to get anywhere. Anyway, I enjoy the freedom of driving where I want when I want.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:04 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
My Mom went the opposite direction, she drives for Lyft.

It adds over 1K to her social security.
Wow, how cool! I hadn't thought of driving for Uber as a means of supplementing a retiree's SS income, but why not, as long as the person's driving skills are good.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:05 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,664,651 times
I am preparing for the day. I live in a very rural area, but we have the senior/handicapped bus service. I got my first delivered to the house meds yesterday. I asked at my favorite local meat processor if they knew someone who would deliver a decent size order and they said yes. I have a freezer and shouldn't have to go to the grocery more than once a month.

I won't save much when I quit driving, but it will be something. I've decided that I will not make any large repairs to my truck. Quitting is a matter of who gives out first. I have a feeling that the old truck is going to beat me.

I'm ready. I don't enjoy driving and I am aware of the risks, especially to others by my hand. I haven't let anyone ride with me for years.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:14 AM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Wow, how cool! I hadn't thought of driving for Uber as a means of supplementing a retiree's SS income, but why not, as long as the person's driving skills are good.
It's been good for her, more money, people to talk to, her own hours. She loves it. She was having trouble (not sure if it was self imposed) finding work so I suggested it and she has been driving ALL over for the last couple years.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement