U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 08:23 PM

5,431 posts, read 3,461,420 times

Advertisements

LOL - I thought I had erased that - I didn't know it printed. ha, I had deleted it, but it didn't delete. Anyway, you're much more optimistic than I am on that particular topic :^)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 09:24 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,297 posts, read 3,346,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
LOL - Anyway, you're much more optimistic than I am on that particular topic :^)
Perhaps my overall optimism is one of the reasons why I am in my 86th year of living a happy and fruitful life with no regrets.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:18 AM

9,011 posts, read 7,770,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Unfortunately John that "younger, healthy woman" may come along and bam she is diagnosed with a serious disease a few years into your relationship. While you say you never want to take care of an ill wife (or girlfriend) again, reading your posts throughout the last two years I think you would. You seem like a very loving, giving person. On the other side of the coin, wouldn't you want her to do the same for you? Is your current much younger girlfriend going to take care of you if you got sick?

However, I do understand where you are coming from; my late husband was diagnosed with lung cancer in 2007 and we made many unsuccessful trips to Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa. The last year was hard but his last 8 days at Hospice were the worst 8 days of my life. I wouldn't wish it on anybody. He died in August of 2010 - I was widowed at 55 and eight months later diagnosed with breast cancer. This week will be 6 years and I'm supposedly "cured" but I hesitate to enter a relationship for similar reasons: I don't want to watch a man I love die and I certainly don't want him to watch me die IF the cancer comes back.

So here we are, alone, because we fear what might happen. Maybe our wounds are just too fresh? It's kind of sad when you think about it.
My wounds are not stopping me but they have made me see things in a different light.

True that having a younger woman is no guarantee I would not have to care for her but there is a better chance she might well have to care for me and I do not want that burden for either of us.

I do not expect my younger girl friend to take care of me. If I became ill, I would break it off with her and deal with my issues myself.

The one thing I will never do is live with nor marry a lady. I am very happy living alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or