U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 03:00 AM

7,148 posts, read 2,936,914 times

Advertisements

Frankly, lists and other "tips" someone decides to publish for the benefit of complete strangers don't do much for me. I guess I know my own mind...I don't rely on others to dream up my choices for me. I know what I value in a place to live, what I can afford to spend while living there, what support resources are available, and I listen to myself.

No way would I want to live someplace that is overbuilt, overcrowded, mass-produced boring design, no seasons, full of entertainments trying to seem luxurious, populated by people who all seem to be interested in the same things, with big box chain stores all carrying the same stuff.

Sorry for the rant. That is often my first reaction to the "destinations to retire to" fodder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 06:31 AM

5,202 posts, read 671,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
I never understand all the threads about "Where should I move when I retire"?. Does this mean that they have been living in a place they hate for all these years and now they are finally free to move where they want ? I understand wanting to be closer to your kids who have moved away, but other than that, why didn't you move sooner ? At 65 I occasionally ponder the concept of retirement, but I plan to stay right where I am. My friends are here, my doctor is here, I know all the local merchants by their first name, I know where everything is and I have a home that I enjoy. Moving to a place where I don't know a soul and perhaps have never been, simply based on a "Best places to retire" article seems so silly to me. "Grow where you are planted" works for me.
I didn't wind up in CT by choice--we moved because my [ex]husband got a job here. I found a job in academia at a state institution and we settled in, had another kid and happened to buy a house in a town with a decent school system.

Fast forward 27 years.... Hubs and I divorced--HE"S now in Dallas. Kid #2 is in the Air Force on the west coast and kid #1 (28 yrs old) is in failure-to-launch mode and is living with (and OFF) me until she finds her dream job. I've made no friends outside of work so there is really nothing to keep me here (except maybe my hairdresser )

I'm 66 this year and will be retiring at the end of July next year and by then I'll be 67. I rent so I have no equity and I have little in my savings account at the bank. With any luck I will have enough of a pension to get by--but not enough to live comfortably in this state. I have grown to hate the weather in NE (short summers, no spring and cold wet HUMID winters) and the fact that it gets dark by 4:30 PM in the dregs of winter. Even though I live in a coastal state it takes me 1.5 hours to get to a decent beach.

This is NOT my dream location. The only thing I would miss is the close proximity to Boston, Providence and New York City.

I am toying with either relocating back to my home town (a depressed area on the shores of Lake Erie outside of Buffalo) where I still have family and have reconnected with a few people OR moving to the St. Petersburg area where I know no one but could "reinvent" myself and shoot for a lifestyle I've only dreamed of . If I had the $$$ I'd be a snowbird.

So there you have it. Consider yourself blessed to be at the right place at the right time with the right people.

Some of us aren't so lucky.....

Old 08-06-2017, 07:00 AM

4,976 posts, read 3,462,838 times
The lists have actually allowed me to look at areas I hadn't thought about. So, in that sense, they have been helpful.

I have been able to put priorities on certain aspects & concentrate on researching places where I would fit.

It surprised me when I realized my allergies would play a huge part in my decision & I began looking at areas with a dryer climate. I was so impressed when I was in Arizona that, for the first time in years, I did not have a runny nose & my eyes weren't tearing.

Having lived in Minnesota for most of my life, I'd never even thought of moving somewhere that wasn't green. Now that I've experienced the difference, it has changed my viewpoint.

Old 08-06-2017, 08:09 AM

1,697 posts, read 2,606,323 times
I get it. The only reason I posted the Forbes article was that it might hold some conversational interest for folks who have been in any of the selected cities (which I think was a pretty strange selection) in terms of their own opinions.

But I agree with Mike C's (OP) assessment as to their accuracy and loved his suggested criterion. However, we all have such diverse needs and desires for contentment. For instance, a good deal of my friends and family members have moved to Florida which would be the LAST place on earth I'd want to live (well...other than Siberia, maybe). Having been on both the east and west coasts of the state, it still feels suffocatingly humid - like a swamp - which it pretty much was before they planted the palm trees . But I'm sure I'm in the minority there.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:09 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,351,830 times
We used to read those "Best Places to Retire" lists before we retired and tried to visit them when we were near an area. Not a single one turned out to be what we were looking for but other towns nearby ended up being right, so not completely a waste of time.

Our needs and wants keep changing, even after retiring. For example after living in an HOA which went to hell after 10 years there we now know we cannot ever live in one again. Finding a non-HOA home in Florida proved to be a big challenge because almost all newer homes in Florida are HOA communities. We took a while driving around the state and eventually found a great house in a nice place to live.

My husband just commented the other day about a nearby "best place", really glad we didn't end up there. Me too, the politics in that town are almost as bad as an HOA. Other folks would probably LOVE to live there, which is great.

Old 08-06-2017, 11:37 AM

2,879 posts, read 1,406,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
I must be getting really mellow in my old age, as the lists don't bother me. I'll look at them and think:

1) Yeah, I'm familiar with that place and always thought that it is nice

2) I'm familiar with that place and that is Not where I would want to live

3) Never been there, but that place sounds interesting

4) Never been there and no interest in going

Then I am on with the rest of my day. No permanent damage done to me by the list.
Me too JRR, in fact I don't mind them at all as I look at them and many have places I would never think of retiring too.

The way I look at it is, moving is important and a huge cost of time and money. More information is a good thing

Old 08-06-2017, 11:45 AM

2,879 posts, read 1,406,121 times
Quote:
I never understand all the threads about "Where should I move when I retire"?. Does this mean that they have been living in a place they hate for all these years and now they are finally free to move where they want ? I understand wanting to be closer to your kids who have moved away, but other than that, why didn't you move sooner ? At 65 I occasionally ponder the concept of retirement, but I plan to stay right where I am. My friends are here, my doctor is here, I know all the local merchants by their first name, I know where everything is and I have a home that I enjoy. Moving to a place where I don't know a soul and perhaps have never been, simply based on a "Best places to retire" article seems so silly to me. "Grow where you are planted" works for me.
Very simply because I was making close to 100K a year. If I could have found a place in Florida offering me that type of salary yep I would have moved.

There is a huge difference between hating some place and wanting a change. I enjoyed when we lived in the suburbs. it was great when my kids were younger. great schools, big yard, yada yada yada but it was never where I wanted to grow old.

So now I'm financially where I want to be, my children are almost grown (last one graduates from college this year) so yes I'm planning on retiring and living a life of leisure in 2 years. thanks to my location and my field I'll only be 58.

So in essence I did "grow where I was planted" but like many flowers it's time to uproot and replant some where else.

Old 08-06-2017, 11:50 AM

2,205 posts, read 1,349,228 times
Quote:
Many of us moved in our early years to where we found good paying jobs and careers. Many of those once-nice places (often in and near large cities) have become so congested that they are no longer pleasant places to be. So if you don't have to work anymore, there is no reason to stay. When you retire, it may be the first time in your life that you actually have a choice about where to live. Thus starts the search.

Old 08-06-2017, 12:40 PM

3,901 posts, read 1,656,975 times
I thought we were settled permanently in Hawaii, but now we've grown restless and are looking for greener (well, LESS green) pastures. Is it really possible to find the perfect place forever, or do you love it at first and settle for it later?

Old 08-06-2017, 02:45 PM

4,650 posts, read 3,706,496 times
I have a spreadsheet with places to retire for the columns, and the criteria I care about for the rows. Each row has a weight column as well (how important that criterion is to me from 0.0 to 1.0). For each place, I rank it from 0 to 5 based on my research, and calculate a score at the bottom as the sum of the rankings time their weights. This gives me a score for comparing the places I'm considering.

Behind each of the published lists is a similar methodology for ranking and weighting places (you can usually find a link describing the methodology if you look for it). Their criteria aren't going to be the same as mine -- which is why I usually find the results less than helpful other than from an amusement angle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or