U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 09:04 PM

3,139 posts, read 3,527,754 times

Advertisements

I do a lot of non-directed, spontaneous stuff like PNW above. I seem to be busy, have domestic projects going on, walk and sit out with the dogs, visit shops and grocery, putter in my storage unit, sell stuff on-line, watch TV, nap, read, am exploring some art and craft and photography classes, blog and write, cook, occasionally golf, groom dogs, browse at thrift shops and yard sales, ride the bike and scooter, and so stuff around the house. None of it is planned-all spontaneous.
Guess I am busy, but never in a hurry and except for meals and dog/spouse care, most is not routine.
I sleep like a rock and wake up refreshed, but I am not particularly ambitious. Overall this is a laid back, lazy, relaxed lifestyle and I am enjoying it. It is much more laid back than I anticipated. But good. Really good! But really lazy too! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 09:25 PM

4,038 posts, read 2,575,758 times
I don't think I am more lazy but some days I am dead tired for no reason, it aggravates me to no end.

Old 08-05-2017, 09:26 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,945,137 times
Yes. I also get more sleep and look better because I am more rested.

Old 08-05-2017, 09:31 PM

996 posts, read 868,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
yup. sometimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits.

(Not sure where I heard that but it fits.)

Seems to be from "Winnie the Pooh," by A.A. Milne, who also wrote:
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

I'm thinking "Winnie the Pooh" may be a manual for retirement.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:02 PM

24,153 posts, read 8,437,098 times
I did a lot of hobby work during my life from collections, making wreaths, trivets, 3 yrs of acrylic painting and MOST during my work years. Now, I enjoy laying down a lot, the internet and talk radio. Unplugged cable TV so don't miss tv at all. Doing a lot of healing for a nasty knee infection and will decide if I want to purse knee replacement...right now I lean no. Probably giving up my car as right now can't drive and realize I am saving a good deal of money and don't miss driving for a second.

Lazier, probably so, but love NOT having to be at someone's beckon call for a paycheck and thank FDR and LBJ for a couple great social programs.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:05 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,957,871 times
Jeez. I CAN'T WAIT till I can get lazy. Believe me, I will take full advantage. Still totin' that barge, on an abusive govt contract.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:20 PM

3,139 posts, read 3,527,754 times
When is your time coming, Jane?

Old 08-06-2017, 01:32 AM

18,162 posts, read 23,153,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
I do a lot of non-directed, spontaneous stuff like PNW above. I seem to be busy, have domestic projects going on, walk and sit out with the dogs, visit shops and grocery, putter in my storage unit, sell stuff on-line, watch TV, nap, read, am exploring some art and craft and photography classes, blog and write, cook, occasionally golf, groom dogs, browse at thrift shops and yard sales, ride the bike and scooter, and so stuff around the house. None of it is planned-all spontaneous.
Guess I am busy, but never in a hurry and except for meals and dog/spouse care, most is not routine.
I sleep like a rock and wake up refreshed, but I am not particularly ambitious. Overall this is a laid back, lazy, relaxed lifestyle and I am enjoying it. It is much more laid back than I anticipated. But good. Really good! But really lazy too! LOL
This is not the definition of lazy. LOL.

Just because you're not stressed out with planet-altering ambitions, that doesn't make you a lazy person.

I, too, got up when I felt like it. Didn't feel like taking a shower - figured my hair still looked clean enough. But, I got up about 5:30, did some work online, took my dog for a walk, went to the hardware store and bought some canning jars, went to the food bank and got a ton of food, came home and washed and chopped up a ton of veggies, froze them in baggies.

Cut up a whole chicken, pressure cooked veggies and chicken to make chicken stock, strained it, cleaned the kitchen, canned the black bean soup I made yesterday. Oh yeah, and I took a nap in-between.

Oh, and I cooked up about 10 pounds of separate chicken leg quarters I got at the food bank, then removed all the meat and froze that in separate baggies, and saved the bones for my next batch of chicken broth.

Surfed the Internet at lunchtime, while the pressure canner was doing its thing, for recipes for lentil soup I can make with the lentils I got, and the coconut milk I got for really cheap a while back, that I've been meaning to learn how to cook with, because I like Thai food and want to learn how to cook more interesting foods.....so was looking at curry lentil soup with coconut milk - sounds good!

Then, about 4pm my bad old body parts were yelling at me, so I grabbed the ice packs and a cocktail and read the news online and eventually ended up here.

Isn't it great, though, to be a busy person who can schedule your day the way you want to? And take a nap if you need one?

I do wish my house was cleaner. I hate housework and my dog sheds buckets of little stickery white hairs that are hard to get out of everything. I vacuum regularly with my little electric sweeper, but there is dog hair on every surface, I swear. Drives me nuts, but I choose not to spend my time cleaning every surface of my apartment constantly. If I could afford it, I'd pay someone to clean my house. And I wouldn't care if someone thought that was lazy. I guess I'm lazy about cleaning dog hair out of my life.

I was actually teased by the mechanic who just smog tested my truck about all the dog hair in my truck. I love my dog, but I hate all the dog hair. But, I digress...here after midnight, with no appointment in the morning....

Last edited by NoMoreSnowForMe; 08-06-2017 at 01:54 AM..

Old 08-06-2017, 02:35 AM

3,973 posts, read 1,689,299 times
I get just as much important stuff done since I retired. I just have a lot more time to do it now that the trivial work problems are out of the way.

Old 08-06-2017, 03:03 AM

7,328 posts, read 3,032,854 times
Guess I wouldn't call it being lazy, just that the priorities list got shuffled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement