Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 08:55 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times

Advertisements

I like that I have time now to take care of my fitness. I'm in better shape, and 20 lbs lighter, than when I retired in '09.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 12:58 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,646,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
Jeez. I CAN'T WAIT till I can get lazy. Believe me, I will take full advantage. Still totin' that barge, on an abusive govt contract.
93 work days for me!

Old 08-08-2017, 08:16 AM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Cooking has taken a back seat here in my household too. I don't spend time making elaborate sauce this and that. No sousvide here and there, just very basic cooking served with fresh salad at lunch and steamed vegetable at dinner time. But my husband seems to like it. We do eat fancy food when we travel, I guess that's how we make up for our lack of cooking.
Dh and I have both noticed that we want a lot less food. On days when we go out for lunch, we usually skip a big dinner. Fine with me.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:45 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,303,369 times
I actually cook MORE now that I am retired. Now that I'm not coming home every day drained from work, I have more time and energy to cook - and to try new things.

Wife seems OK with that.

Old 08-08-2017, 01:38 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,509,499 times
Yes, but could be explained by no energy.
We watch tv a lot
Not really my cup pa tea

Old 08-08-2017, 01:48 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,977,890 times
It isn't than I've become lazier, I always tended to be lazy, but now that I'm not working, I don't feel guilty about it anymore, and I no longer try to hide the fact that I'm lazy. My husband hasn't retired yet, and he's shocked that I occasionally sleep late. I tell him, "I'm retired, I do what I want."

I'll never get tired of saying that.

Old 08-08-2017, 02:27 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
OMG yes, plus the energy level isn't the same. No, neither or us nap in the afternoon and we both have activities, including volunteer work we are involved in, but my spend more time on my ass than doing anything else. I don't always even get the bed made in the morning and that would never have been me even 10 years ago.

Old 08-08-2017, 04:16 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,905,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
Here is another "no" from me. If anything, I am busier and more ambitious in tackling new tasks and activities in retirement than while working.

.................................................. .

On top of scheduled activities, there are also life unexpected events. In the last two months, I could hardly have the time to relax. I tried to watch few movies in the evening and found myself falling asleep after the first 10-15 minutes. In the last two months, we had to deal with the illness of our beloved dog (we had to put her to sleep), the loss of my trusty car (totaled by a deer encounter), ordeal of ordering a new car (the one we ordered was damaged in a train derailment but the distributor did not notify the dealer for 3 weeks), our heating oil order was delivered to the wrong address, the basement dehumidifier malfunctioned on top of the well pipe water leak, we discovered carpenter ants damages in the wood tool shed (after having the roof replaced) and today we had to clean up the shed's attic (full of unknown stuffs) after discovering that it has been used as a mink's residence.

So I have been on my feet everyday from 4:30am (when I get up to get ready for my daily row at 5:30am) to 10:30pm (when I often crash on the couch while trying to get some relaxation time by watching a movie or reading a book -................................

............................ .

Golly gee, what a series of misfortunes! I am so sorry about them. And not a one reasonably foreseeable in advance! Better at least (I think) to have had to face them retire rather than face them while still working.

Old 08-08-2017, 05:01 PM

4,383 posts, read 4,388,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
yup. sometimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits.

(Not sure where I heard that but it fits.)
Satchel Paige, I believe.

And no, not lazier since retirement. I've been working my azz off and lovin' every minute of it.

Old 08-08-2017, 05:19 PM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
OMG yes, plus the energy level isn't the same. No, neither or us nap in the afternoon and we both have activities, including volunteer work we are involved in, but my spend more time on my ass than doing anything else. I don't always even get the bed made in the morning and that would never have been me even 10 years ago.
Haha. Hello? Are you sure you're not me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement