U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 11:49 AM

1,523 posts, read 1,228,936 times

Advertisements

I came across an interesting article today. The only item applies to me is # 8, not downsizing earlier. I wished we had gotten rid a lot of the stuffs over the years. It is overwhelming to sort through boxes and piles of stuffs accumulated in the last 25 years. We have made numerous trips to the libraries, Good Will, Salvation Army and the dump over a year and still have at least 30% more to go.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/money-car...tirement.html/

Quote:

1. Not saving enough money
2. Leaving the workforce too early
3. Not having a plan for your free time
4. Not planning for your retirement goals
5. Not adjusting to the required lifestyle
6. Drawing Social Security too early
7. Not retiring earlier
8. Not downsizing earlier
9. Making a rash moving decision
10. Depending too much on debt in peak earning years
11. Not accounting for taxes
12. Making the wrong decisions for surviving spouses
13. Not getting professional financial advice earlier

We are being very careful to not having regret #9 of making a rash moving decision. We have made 5 relocation scouting trips in the last 2 years but still have not found a place meeting most of our requirements. I am still checking zillow and notifications from our real estate agents in 3 locations almost daily. However, my husband has started to think that it is not too bad just to stay where we are and just take more trips out west to see our daughter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 12:03 PM

5,179 posts, read 3,576,987 times
For me, #1 and #9 are my regrets. Too much other stuff, all very emotional, was going on and retirement was the last thing on my mind. I moved to TX for a job that wasn't there after I got there; I should have stayed in Syracuse (same company as in TX) and gotten laid off there.

Along with losing my job, the expense of moving, not being able to find another job that paid as well as my original Syracuse job did. I just couldn't get past what was happening "today" and not able to think about "tomorrow" etc.

Old 08-07-2017, 12:15 PM

4,411 posts, read 6,235,532 times
If you have to plan your free time then you're not doing it right.

Old 08-07-2017, 12:33 PM

626 posts, read 378,985 times
I hate to be a downer but, No regrets or second thought.

I am not old enough for Social Security but I do plan to start at age 62. We'll see when I am 90 or 100 if I regret not waiting till 70

Old 08-07-2017, 12:54 PM

14,017 posts, read 18,182,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeriously View Post
If you have to plan your free time then you're not doing it right.

I see your point, but for some people, enjoying themselves when all they have is "free time" is problematic because they have no idea what to do and they are at loose ends, bored, lonesome, etc. There are people on this board who retired, didn't like it, and went back to work in order to have connections with other human beings and in order to have the feeling that they are doing something worthwhile.

It's for those people that point #3 was made, not for those of us who seamlessly moved into retirement because we already had other interests.

Old 08-07-2017, 02:13 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,622,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
I came across an interesting article today. The only item applies to me is # 8, not downsizing earlier. I wished we had gotten rid a lot of the stuffs over the years. It is overwhelming to sort through boxes and piles of stuffs accumulated in the last 25 years. We have made numerous trips to the libraries, Good Will, Salvation Army and the dump over a year and still have at least 30% more to go.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/money-car...tirement.html/

We are being very careful to not having regret #9 of making a rash moving decision. We have made 5 relocation scouting trips in the last 2 years but still have not found a place meeting most of our requirements. I am still checking zillow and notifications from our real estate agents in 3 locations almost daily. However, my husband has started to think that it is not too bad just to stay where we are and just take more trips out west to see our daughter.
The prominence of the "retired too early" / "didn't save enough" / "took SSI too early" themes is no surprise.

We constantly get these anti scientific / tilting at the windmills of well studied stats statements on this forum along the lines of "I know a guy who died the day after he retired" - ergo, the longevity stats must be a government conspiracy and by golly, I'm gonna live it up while I'm still able to!

Yup ... livin' high ... eatin' crap, in a bad hood, on public assistance, dying poor.

Thaaaaaaat's the way to do it!

Old 08-07-2017, 02:25 PM

7,455 posts, read 4,616,428 times
No regrets for me either. I would have loved to have retired earlier, but 60 is not a bad retirement age.

Old 08-07-2017, 02:39 PM

5,737 posts, read 3,724,647 times
After 6.5 years of retirement, no regrets yet. It's maybe too soon to have regrets.

I do think it can be an ongoing challenge not to be isolated in retirement if one is single and has no family members, particularly depending on where one is living too.

Old 08-07-2017, 02:47 PM

8,786 posts, read 9,573,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post

I do think it can be an ongoing challenge not to be isolated in retirement if one is single and has no family members, particularly depending on where one is living too.
Not really challenging, but it is something that can be addressed with some effort. About a year ago, I took up a new hobby. Social engagement.

I did mess up on #3. I figured my hobbies and visiting with friends would be enough.

Old 08-07-2017, 03:06 PM

15,424 posts, read 7,370,946 times
Maybe #6, especially after my husband had to pay back some because he had some earnings right after he retired. Maybe I could have waited until he is FRA this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement