U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 08:27 PM

622 posts, read 269,809 times

Advertisements

What I am now. A career firefighter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 09:31 PM

17,752 posts, read 4,116,495 times
I wanted to be a scientist but now it looks like I will be a businessman.

Old 08-24-2017, 11:11 PM

7,363 posts, read 4,482,165 times
I wanted to be a veterinarian.

I married someone who also had dreamed of being a vet as a kid but didn't become one either.

We did, however, buy enough land that we've been able to raise and care for all sorts of animals on our property.

Last edited by RosieSD; 08-24-2017 at 11:23 PM..

Old 08-24-2017, 11:34 PM

4,456 posts, read 2,632,495 times
Oh a variety of things, none of which came true.

Take your pick: an actor, as I could play any role in productions then go home to my comfy life; a doctor, but didn't have the science of medicine mentally; an astronaut, but again science is not my strength; an airline pilot, but the air Force wouldn't take me to train me due to being asthmatic; an architect; an archeologist, and one or two other things.

But severe medical issues have plagued me most of my life, so that doesn't help either.

So I've worked retail, cooked in restaurants and now am a hotel front desk clerk. I've enjoyed my jobs and have been richly rewarded for the experiences of each.

I certainly cannot lament over "what could have been".

At least as an actor I COULD have played a doctor, an astronaut, a pilot, an archeologist or any other dream, lol.

Old 08-25-2017, 04:32 PM

10,824 posts, read 8,088,333 times
I wanted to be whatever was featured in the last book I had read: a singer, a missionary, a pilot, a dog trainer, a public health nurse, a detective. It didn't really matter, they all seemed glamorous and fun.

Then in the 7th & 8th grade, I had the world's best science teacher and I vowed to become a biologist.
Then I entered high school and had the world's worst biology teacher and I got over it.

Old 08-25-2017, 06:57 PM

620 posts, read 264,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
As a very small child? I wanted to be on a starship and visit other planets. I was very disappointed to learn that they didn't actually exist.

Older - I wanted to be an archaeologist or maybe an anthropologist who collected hill country songs and ethnic songs or studied the arc of Childe ballads to the "new world."

I ended up: an engineer and later a scientist.
Me too! Astronaut as a young child. Archeologist entering college. I ended up a teacher. As a side note, I feel that I never really found my niche, which is too bad.

Old 09-11-2017, 06:16 PM

958 posts, read 1,302,931 times
I wanted to be an astronaut.

My father decided I was going to be an entomologist.

So I became an engineer, and whenever I see a bug inside, I stomp on it.

Except for crickets. Those I tenderly carry outside and put under a sheltering leaf. (Used to live in the Orient).

Old 09-11-2017, 06:20 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,586,903 times
I wanted to be a vet. I loved animals then as much as I do now, and to be able to help them live better is something which would make life worth it. Sometimes I wish I had. I had given that up for history teacher. Never even suspected I'd end up writing computer programs.

Still love animals, but the idea of doing things like surgery... ewwww

Old 09-11-2017, 08:17 PM

8,629 posts, read 9,710,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
As a youngster my thoughts went to being a wife, mom and keep a nice house. Then life took it's course and I did a lot of things I NEVER dreamed I'd do. Perhaps some of us older gals thought this way back then. Long time ago.

That's exactly how we were brought up back then. We weren't really encouraged to have careers outside of the home but could make the home and family our "career". Life can throw us some curve balls and all our plans can go right out the window. I laugh when I think back at how I had 'my' life all planned out by the time I was 17. Finish school, get married, have kids and "keep a nice house". But even the best laid plans often go awry so it's been an interesting life, doing things I never thought I would, but it's been good. Just not the way I planned!

Old 09-11-2017, 09:07 PM

195 posts, read 106,954 times
I wanted to be a fashion designer and I went to an art school in NYC and majored in that. I may have been able to make a good living at it too, providing that unimaginative clothing was always in style, so I had jobs in a number of fields until I found the one that I really liked... construction.

I personally like buying trashed houses and remodeling them but then I married a man who was a builder from the ground up. We had our own company and I really enjoyed the business ( and dressed like someone who never heard of Fashion Design) and did that right up til retirement!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or