U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 09:43 PM

6,584 posts, read 3,670,806 times

Advertisements

Archaeologist. Still want to do that when I grow up. Or in my next life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 10:00 PM
miu

17,152 posts, read 34,648,266 times
I wanted to be an archaeologist, paleontologist... or Indiana Jones. I enjoy treasure hunting! I was an antiques dealer for about 15 years. Now I just collect.

On my bucket list is to spend a day in Arkansas rooting around in the dirt for diamonds at that state park. Would also love to pan for gold.

Old 09-11-2017, 10:01 PM

5,202 posts, read 671,182 times
I wanted to be a musician and took piano for many years, even through college. The only problem was I hated practicing.

When I was a young teen I wanted to be Gidget and hang out at the beach with the boys and surf. However, no surfing on Lake Erie and I wasn't allowed to hang out with boys. I did, however, bear a passing resemblance to Sally Field.

When I was in high school I really wanted to be a writer, journalist and humorist. I loved the humor of James Thurber and the thoughtful writing of Sidney J. Harris. I was inspired and encouraged by my high school English teacher, a little old nun named Sr. Immaculata. I was hoping to get into Syracuse U's school of journalism. That didn't happen. Instead, I wound up at a small college in the Southern Tier of NYS. My first English instructor was a nightmare. She basically said I would never make it as a writer. I believed her and stopped trying. Long story short--I wound up graduating a semester early with a BA in Liberal Studies.

As an adult, I've taken courses in video production & photography and in social work. I did actually get certification in massage therapy in 2004 but I never did anything with it. I've taken dance on and off through the years and did finally get to dance on stage and earn a 5 year trophy when I was in my 40s!

Back in high school I worked in the school library and really enjoyed it--so much so that I fashioned a career around it even though I never got my MLS.

These days I'm an artist in search of a medium....

Old 09-11-2017, 10:27 PM

5,444 posts, read 2,833,486 times
As a child, my very first wannabea was COWGIRL! And I wanted to live in Wyoming, which was more of a sheep producing state, but little did I know.

Old 09-11-2017, 11:52 PM

1,542 posts, read 2,384,981 times
As a child I wanted to work for a veterinarian. I never wanted to be a veterinarian just work for one. To the disappointment of my mother and father I worked for a veterinarian for 25 years. Learned how to groom dogs and also do bookkeeping and business management. Along with the animal care. I challenged the State Board Exams under the Grandfather clause in I think it was 1976 or maybe 1977, I would have to look it up. I passed my Animal Health Tech and Radiology exams and became certified AHT. So as disappointed as my mother was in me during this 25 years the dog grooming I learned and the bookkeeping abilities came in very handy for me to realize the rest of my life dream to live in a small town in the mountains and did so in 1986 from California to Idaho. I picked up many bookkeeping jobs. Brought some bookkeeping jobs with me and just mailed the information back and forth. This was way before all the computerized programs available now. To so many bookkeeping was such a mystery it was easy for me. I also had a little dog grooming business and did quite well. My final job was City Clerk Treasure. I have had a good life.

Old 09-13-2017, 04:00 AM

1,137 posts, read 570,641 times
As a stupid youngster, wanted to be a dinosaur. In elementary school, wanted to be a rock-star. In high school wanted to be a grahic artist. Entered college as a graphic arts major, dropped out, then re-entered as a music major. Got a chance to be a professional musician, so dropped out and became a union musician and traveled in bands. Eventually wanted to design music equipment, didn't want anything to do with computers, but needed to become an engineer to design the equipment. Got back into school to get a BSEE, then discovered computer graphics. Became an engineer designing medical cameras, computer graphics and video systems for 40 years. Now about to retire, and will spend the rest of my life as a dinosaur.
The circle is complete.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:18 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,157,683 times
Writer. I was pretty good at literature in class, so...but alas it came to nothing.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:14 AM

195 posts, read 106,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
As a stupid youngster, wanted to be a dinosaur. In elementary school, wanted to be a rock-star. In high school wanted to be a grahic artist. Entered college as a graphic arts major, dropped out, then re-entered as a music major. Got a chance to be a professional musician, so dropped out and became a union musician and traveled in bands. Eventually wanted to design music equipment, didn't want anything to do with computers, but needed to become an engineer to design the equipment. Got back into school to get a BSEE, then discovered computer graphics. Became an engineer designing medical cameras, computer graphics and video systems for 40 years. Now about to retire, and will spend the rest of my life as a dinosaur.
The circle is complete.
In younger days I was a velociraptor, all muscular and vicious. Nowadays I am more of a brachiosaurus, big and round and harmless unless I sit on you.

Old 09-13-2017, 04:47 PM

1,137 posts, read 570,641 times
aren't we all : )

Old 10-03-2017, 01:06 PM

9,760 posts, read 7,041,256 times
A concert pianist. Maybe in my next life........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or