U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 12:31 PM

10,137 posts, read 12,395,557 times

Advertisements

An Egyptologist.

Was very into it to the point I purchased Sir Alan Gardiner's book Egyptian Grammar spending $60 of my own money ordering it through the Stanford University book store. In 1962 $60 was a lot of money for a 14 year old to spend on a book.

I would go to a museum, Rosecran's had one in Santa Clara at the time, sit and spend hours attempting to decipher one "sentence". 18th dynasty stuff please but I forgot all of it so don't ask me today.

I was a weird duck to say the least but I have always liked history and given the choice of a magazine or Edward Gibbon's The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire I will always pick Gibbon's first. Like I said, I was a weird duck and I usually knew more about history than my history teachers did. I remember sometimes when they had a question they's look over to me first. I always got A's in history.

Netflix has a good series on Egypt that I started watching a few nights ago. Very good.

Then it was high school where I discovered girls and well... forgot a lot of history. In my junior and senior year I don't remember having any dreams but I did want to be a pilot so I did for a few years when younger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 01:02 PM

9,211 posts, read 9,283,907 times
Diplomat. The idea of being in a foreign country helping to make and execute foreign policy on behalf of the United States was very appealing to me.

I ultimately saw my dream as impractical though and settled for a career in law instead. I have few regrets.

However, there are days I wished I had pushed for the moon and attempted to get into the foreign service.

Old 10-05-2017, 03:17 PM

61 posts, read 30,621 times
I always loved reading and imagined that I could be a writer, just sitting reading and writing (and becoming famous!!). Then I decided I really wanted to become a social worker and help unfortunate folks. My grandmother had been one, though, and she talked me out of it.
After majoring in English in college, I almost didn't know what to do until a class assignment sent me into the library for many hours. I watched the librarians and thought, "I could do that". So I went to library school. I have been an academic librarian my whole career. I DO get to help people, just in a different way.

Old 10-05-2017, 03:23 PM

27,093 posts, read 5,923,622 times
Dancer. Studied from age 5 through 18, went to college as a dance major.

After one yr., realized I actually had to have a job to support myself....went to nursing school, have been a RN for years.

Still enjoy watching dance, especially jazz.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:56 AM

171 posts, read 115,729 times
I wanted to be a marriage therapist but in the end wasn't willing to go through all the schooling, debt, and relocation to get to a program for it in my state, and didn't think the low pay in the end was worth it for the amount of education and training, plus not really any opportunities for it around here.

I still am trying to figure out what to do.

Old 11-14-2017, 07:09 PM

13,323 posts, read 25,582,469 times
I wanted to be a vet, even before I knew how much school it takes/cost. But I knew you had to do a lot of math in that schooling and I knew I just couldn't, never mind compete with those who could.

I should have stuck with editing, at which I'm a natural. Then I could be unemployed like everyone else I worked with back in my editing days. So I became an RN and am retiring from that in January, after which I hope to work as a caretaker at a big animal shelter. They also do low-income spay/neuter clinics and don't need a license vet tech to assist there or do other small medical care under supervision, so I could end up in retirement as a vet tech of sorts. I even thought of getting the 2-year credential, but there's the math/chemistry thing, plus the only schools near me at present are very expensive. So on to Colorado, where I can still be involved.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:54 PM

3,139 posts, read 3,512,142 times
I wanted to be a cowboy, then a jockey, then a vet. Started out pre-vet and got derailed and became an English teacher, Naval Officer, and medical social worker. Like BDL I'd like to get the vet tech cert, but cost is prohibitive and I can't bear the thought of going back to school full-time anymore. So I am a dog mom, love and rescue what dogs and kitties I can. I am looking into cooking and photography classes and wanting to refresh my acoustic guitar skills and learn bass guitar. Maybe an ''old ladie's band'' or something! LOL

Old 11-14-2017, 10:26 PM

8,151 posts, read 8,638,559 times
An artist.

Too bad I can't paint or draw. One of my careers was in the "arts", but not fine art.

Old 11-15-2017, 07:32 PM

9,688 posts, read 15,878,502 times
I grew up on a steady diet of Cherry Ames nurse books, and, guess what? I wanted to be a nurse! I fell out of that notion after doing a stint as a Candy Striper, though

Old 11-16-2017, 09:32 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,950,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulK1 View Post
Like what did you see yourself doing when you left school

Like many others I wanted to be a footballer , sadly it didn't happen and I became a chef.
I wanted to be a movie critic. Get paid for watching movies, thinking about them, and writing about them.

Alas, even then (sophomore in High School) I knew that was not likely to be the route to a decent living.

So first I went to grad school (on full ride fellowship, three hots and a cot - enough for me while I grew up).
It became painfully apparent that I was not cut out for a life as an tenured academic.

Then went into finance and actuarial science. Wound up as an engineer. Would still rather have become a movie critic, but there you go. I was ruthlessly practical about this matter of making a living that was better than three hots and a cot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or