U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 05:01 PM

13,318 posts, read 25,554,182 times

Advertisements

I had no dreams when I was a kid, just wanted to make a living and get out of south Jersey.
Ended up as a psychiatric RN in Massachusetts, preceded by news editing, factory work, waitressing, carpenter apprentice, Army Reserve Medical officer, failed Peace Corps volunteer, technical writer and groom at the racetrack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2019, 11:05 AM

208 posts, read 83,031 times
I wanted to be a lead singer in a heavy metal band......

Alas, in my youth had no follow through or sticktoitiveness...

Really pretty much the only regret that weighs on me at times.

I landed as an accountant.....

Old 06-06-2019, 11:40 AM

6,192 posts, read 2,856,740 times
At 6: a go go dancer. I loved their boots they wore!
At 8: playing the tamborene in some 60's hippie band.
At 13 and for years after..wanted to be a psychologist.
Reality: nursing aide,manager,manufacturer worker,waitress,hotel hospitality, catering,admin supervisor.
Just enough experience to pay bills.
Guess though I did study human behavior thru my careers.

Old 06-06-2019, 12:19 PM

1,635 posts, read 561,428 times
As a grade schooler I had no particular career ambition, other than being positive that I would never want to be a doctor, a nurse, or a teacher. It was pretty much assumed, during the 1950s, that if you were a girl you'd be a housewife and if you did have a job it would be a nurse, a teacher, or a secretary. So I assumed a secretary was what I'd be eventually but I didn't WANT to be one. It was merely the remaining default option. Another thing I knew from a very early age was that although I wanted to be married I didn't want kids (ended up with one, only.) My mindset always was: wife, yes; mother, no.

As a young teen I wanted to be a singer but was realistic enough to know that I can't even carry a tune, LOL.

In my mid-teens I wanted to be part of the space program. At that time NASA was part of the Air Force so if you wanted in, you had to enlist. I went through the entire recruitment process with flying colors (no pun intended, lol) but chickened out when the day came to sign the next four years of my life away. Just couldn't bring myself to step into something from which there was no possible "out" for that long. If they had ironclad-guaranteed that I would end up at Cape Canaveral I'd have done it, but they couldn't do so when push came to shove. So I chose not to gamble.

I ended up being a clerk-typist (not a secretary, because I never could manage to do shorthand) from age 18 onward (i.e. some type of clerical desk job.) It wasn't until I was 50 that I stumbled into a job in publishing and realized that that was what I should have been doing all along (marketing/advertising/publishing.) But by then it was too late.

Old 06-07-2019, 09:05 PM

1,512 posts, read 679,088 times
Architect!

Old 06-08-2019, 11:25 AM

4,453 posts, read 3,752,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I had no dreams when I was a kid, just wanted to make a living and get out of south Jersey.
Ended up as a psychiatric RN in Massachusetts, preceded by news editing, factory work, waitressing, carpenter apprentice, Army Reserve Medical officer, failed Peace Corps volunteer, technical writer and groom at the racetrack.
That had to be interesting, if nothing else.

I worked in the thoroughbred racing industry for decades and loved all of it.

At 11 years old I decided I wanted to be a veterinarian...although I didn't, I got close enough.

Old 06-09-2019, 06:12 AM

2,022 posts, read 1,108,617 times
In grade school through high school I knew I wanted to join the military and possibly make a career out of it. Also wanted to become a writer. It must have been in 4th or 5th grade the University of Toledo came to our school to test us as part of a program they had designed to see what careers would be best for each child. My results came back with one of the top two careers being a writer, but the top one I remember thinking would be boring but I don't recall what it was, maybe accounting - I wanted it to say being in the military. The writing thing could still happen as I have the story in my mind just need to type it out.

If I hadn't been cursed with severe allergies and allergy-induced asthma that has affected my communication skills, I would have wanted to consider becoming a minister. Even as a child I thought about that. Wasn't in the cards for me though.

Old 06-09-2019, 08:35 AM

27,093 posts, read 5,888,275 times
A dancer.....I fulfilled it to a point, studying from age 5 to adulthood, dance major in first year college, in regional ballet companies.

Then decided to pursue nursing so I could support myself.

Old 06-09-2019, 10:57 AM

12,233 posts, read 12,495,497 times
I wanted to be an astronaut, which took a big hit the first time I got glasses and died when I grew up. Body size is something I have in common with Hulk Hogan. Maybe I should have run for governor.

Old 06-09-2019, 11:53 AM

13,318 posts, read 25,554,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
That had to be interesting, if nothing else.

I worked in the thoroughbred racing industry for decades and loved all of it.

At 11 years old I decided I wanted to be a veterinarian...although I didn't, I got close enough.

I liked being a groom at two different racetracks. It was extremely early in any women being allowed in the stable areas for any reason (including owners). At one job, the other groom (drunken) shoved me into a stall and tried to rape me. I fought him off and when I told the owner about it, he fired me and said, "Why don't you go to college and get a nice job, like a teacher?"

I always enjoyed being around horses. In fact, now in retirement, I am starting my horse life here, I hope, with a trail riding session and sort of audition for a fine local horsewoman who runs a therapeutic riding program (I've been certified as a horse handler, not an instructor).

Being an independent good-looking young woman in the 1970s was more often than not a swamp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or