U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 11:20 PM

39,648 posts, read 2,995,231 times

Advertisements

an astronaut. Guess watching them land on the moon had an impact. Anyhow I ended up in accounting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 11:34 PM

18,110 posts, read 22,978,628 times
I wanted to be Julie Andrews.

The hills are alive!

Old 08-08-2017, 11:34 PM

13,092 posts, read 13,693,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
I knew when I was 10 years old that I wanted to sell houses (proof that I was not a normal child) At age 11, I delivered newsletters, note pads, fly swatters, etc. for a local real estate agent to about 300 homes in my neighborhood. He paid me 2 cents per house! He and his wife each drove Cadillac Fleetwoods, and more than life itself I wanted a Cadillac. At age 18, 3 weeks out of high school, I took the exam and got my license. Made my first sale in 30 days. And 35 years later I am still loving it.
i love this! wonderful story! i am a firm believer in kids knowing what they want to do, and getting out of their way so they can do it.

when my son was about 11 he was sitting on the floor drawing squares and lines on a piece of paper. I watched him for a bit and asked him what is that. he said it's a chart of the company he is going to work for. At the top of the paper was a single box. It looked like a flow chart, an org chart. Where are you i asked and of course he pointed to the box at the top of the page. I said "so you are the boss and those are the people working for you? " he shook his head and said no the company is international and the boxes are locations all over the world, and the top box is company headquarters. little kid sitting on the floor drawing an org chart. i was amazed. it makes me think of your story.

he's on his way. he was a manager before he turned 30, his first sign on bonus was more $ than my annual income, not even counting the stock bonus he gets annually.

what color Cadillac did you get?

Old 08-08-2017, 11:37 PM

18,110 posts, read 22,978,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
Part 2 - Then when I was a teenager I wanted to be a groupie and follow Stephen Stills all over the world. Only problem was I wasn't daring or slutty enough (There but for the grace of God go I ).
I met him at a radio station I worked at around 1981 or 1982ish. He looked horrific. Was into some drug at the time like meth. Had sores all over his face, eyes dilated, totally stoned. It was so sad and such a let down for me at the time. I'm glad he's doing okay. Always loved him and the others in CSN&Y.

Just recently heard an interview with Judy Collins on NPR and she sang. She's still so amazing. Attributes her ability to still sing so clearly to her strict diet.

Old 08-08-2017, 11:46 PM

13,092 posts, read 13,693,439 times
i also remember this. in third grade we were allowed to leave our desk and walk over to the dictionary and look up words. But we had to show the teacher the word we were looking up, and write it down on our word list. Mostly i liked to look up words because on the way over to the dictionary i would sneak a note to my best friend Karen, who sat on the other side of the room. We used to sit next to each other but got in trouble for talking so they had to separate us.

Anyway I remember looking up the word "sacredotal" and when I got home from school that day I told my mom that I want to have the job where you pray and the people in the town support you because your prayers benefit the whole town. she had a fit. there was not even a bible in our house, and we certainly never talked about anything to do with god or religion or prayer, none of that. she kept saying "who told you that? where did you get such an idea?"

Old 08-09-2017, 01:46 AM

3,302 posts, read 1,350,968 times
I wanted to be the first female jockey - right up until the age of 9 when some other female beat me to it. Then I thought I'd be a vet until 10th grade biology class, which I hated. So I thought no, I can't stand this subject matter and could never operate on or euthanize an animal. Then I wanted to be a linguist because foreign languages seemed like secret codes and I loved studying them.

Old 08-09-2017, 03:52 AM

1,697 posts, read 2,606,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I met him at a radio station I worked at around 1981 or 1982ish. He looked horrific. Was into some drug at the time like meth. Had sores all over his face, eyes dilated, totally stoned. It was so sad and such a let down for me at the time. I'm glad he's doing okay. Always loved him and the others in CSN&Y.

Just recently heard an interview with Judy Collins on NPR and she sang. She's still so amazing. Attributes her ability to still sing so clearly to her strict diet.
Ah, you're KILLIN' me here!!!! But I do understand that he was always the least "likable." I know he carried the torch for Collins for DECADES. Believe it or not I recently saw an interview with her that the two of them are TOURING! He never gives up -

For some reason I always had a thing for the most arrogant of the "Blonde, Blue-Eyed Babies," as I called them: SS, Sting, Daryl Hall. Go figure

Old 08-09-2017, 04:42 AM

6,998 posts, read 4,002,816 times
My dream career as a child???? I wanted to be a time traveler!
(Maybe it was Its About Time, or maybe the Time Tunnel, or Dr Who)
I also kinda wanted to be a cowgirl!
Or an astronaut! (watching that Moon landing did it, I think!)

Old 08-09-2017, 05:03 AM

10,300 posts, read 4,875,305 times
I wanted to be a nurse, back in the days before their eyes were glued to their hospital laptops.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:00 AM

552 posts, read 640,580 times
Very little ambition, I remember while in grade school I just wanted to work in a factory putting nut A on bolt B. I wound up being a baker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or