U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 12:02 AM

6,709 posts, read 1,396,981 times

Advertisements

I had just turned 16 and was working a summer job (full-time babysitter).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 12:28 AM

7,320 posts, read 4,185,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
I didn't make it there. A bit too far to go from the US Coast Guard Air Station on Annette Island, Alaska.

I lived on Annette Island for a short period of time. Nice place. Summer and fall of 1979. My daughter was conceived there.

Old 08-10-2017, 12:31 AM

7,320 posts, read 4,185,298 times
Cold Bay, Alaska. That's where I was that day. I might even have read about it a few days later when the newspaper from that day arrived. That's how I found out about the moon landing the previous month. It was front page news when the newspaper arrived a few days after the actual event occurred. But I was 15 at the time, so the significance of Woodstock wouldn't have made any impression on me.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:27 AM

907 posts, read 515,887 times
Yes I was there along with a bunch of friends from Hunterdon County New Jersey where I lived then. I was 19. A friend had suggested this idea months earlier so I had sent in my money and had tickets.

I rode up with a few of the gang and we went up a day early on Thursday. It turned out to be a great idea as we got in OK though there were lots of people there already and thousands arriving. The staff was scurrying around trying to put up fences but that turned out to be futile and they proclaimed it a free concert.

Our group was separated as we went up in several cars. My friends and I camped in the area where the "Hog farmers" were. It was across from the stage area and you walked through those paths through the woods to get to the music.

There was a small stage set up where we were camped though and some of the artists did imromtu shows there on thursday. It was awesome as I got to meet and chat with Joan Baez!

Dave

Old 08-10-2017, 08:22 AM

52,095 posts, read 41,903,893 times
I was a little bump in moms Tummy.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:25 AM

12,806 posts, read 14,125,194 times
I was in my late twenties and working in NYC. I found the narration of what was happening via news broadcasts fascinating. It seemed close to impossible, but I got a real kick out of the fact that it was happening.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:45 AM

1,836 posts, read 2,604,216 times
I was 16 and had no idea it was happening until afterwards, then figured out it was the week I was at camp, only to come home and find out my uncle had died so my mind was preoccupied to say the least. I remember watching the film of it at our local drivein, the place to be. Still own the album and DVD of the film.

There are going to be so many 50 year tributes over the next couple of years, when you think of everything that happened in 1968 and then in 1969.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:11 AM

15,995 posts, read 6,305,165 times
I am responding though I am not retired.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
August 17, 1969__Where were you? Did any of you get to go to Woodstock?

Hard to believe it was 48 years ago.
I was at summer camp at Robin Hood in New Hampshire. I believe during those days we were on an out-of-camp excursion, common at the end of summers since some counselors head back to college. We had just seen Franconia Notch and "Old Man of the Mountains" at Cannon Moutain, I believe. Then we had pineapple pizza for dinner. See:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I don't know when he invented PP, or pineapple pizza but I remember having it in New Hamphshire in the shadow of the now-collapsed "Old Man of the Mountains" near Franconia Notch in August 1969.
Then we were forced by rains, I believe the same system that bedeviled Woodstock and indeed the U.S. Northeast that summer, to return to camp. Our consolation was a trip to Hampton

Quote:
I had a buddy who was going and I had a ride waiting but I had to work. So I missed it.

Back then, we worked all summer long to pay for the next year of college.
At least you had the work ethic. Not very common there, except for one of my clients who did the sound system at Woodstock.

Quote:
Look at how beautiful Grace Slick was in 1969
Too bad she and others screwed up their lives. The ones that are still standing and performing into their 70's and in some case 80's are the ones who "went clean" early on. Think Neil Young, Graham Nash, Gordon Lightfoot, Ian Tyson, Peter Townsend and the like. Most were on substances during the Woodstock era and cleaned up circa 1972. For example Neil Young's "Needle and the Damage Done," written in late 1971 was a powerful anti-drug statement

Old 08-10-2017, 10:43 AM

9,020 posts, read 7,787,258 times
I was 27, single, and relocating from Boston to Chicago. I knew nothing (or very little about) about Woodstock. I was driving the company car on the NY State Thruway (I90). I picked up two young female hitchhikers who had been at Woodstock and were going to Minneapolis. They were young and pretty but needed food, showers, and clean clothes. We stopped along the way and I bought them supper. We hit it off and they spent a few days with me in Chicago. They were my first threesome. 3 days later I got home from work one afternoon and they were gone. Fond memories.

Last edited by johngolf; 08-10-2017 at 10:54 AM..

Old 08-10-2017, 02:45 PM

10,534 posts, read 8,792,710 times
I was in Canada, enjoying the fresh air and gorgeous views of Georgian Bay, not far from Ojibway Island, shortly after departing my ship in the Northern end of the Tonkin Gulf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or