U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 01:05 PM

1,827 posts, read 2,619,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
As you age, the dependency on health care facilities increases, obviously, and is irresponsible to place yourself in a situation where you need a helicopter to save your ass.
Then every person living in a rural area over the age of 50? 60? 70? Is irresponsible. Rural area depend on med copters no matter how old you are...and BTW...you aren't paying for it, we are!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 02:04 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,239,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLoveLaugh View Post
Then every person living in a rural area over the age of 50? 60? 70? Is irresponsible. Rural area depend on med copters no matter how old you are...and BTW...you aren't paying for it, we are!
It's irresponsible retirement planning, imo.

Re: Air Ambulances: It is medically necessary, meaning that an ambulance is the only safe way to transport you and the reason for your trip is to receive a service or to return from a service that you need and Medicare will cover (Taxpayers -About $25,000 for a 46-mile ride) ; You are transported to and from certain locations; and. The supplier meets Medicare ambulance requirements.

Often, in snow country, the ambulance is grounded due to winds, visibility, weather conditions -

Last edited by BucFan; 08-13-2017 at 02:36 PM..

Old 08-13-2017, 05:28 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,297 posts, read 3,345,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post

Here's a different slant. Move to where one wants to live and spend the next 30-40-years working there ... and then retire there. That's what we did in 1973 and where we lived until we retired in 2008 ... and still live.

Hey Horton, refer to Post #1...........
Graduated college in Jan 1955 in the midwest.
Began my career in the Midwest in Jan 1955.
Had no love for living in the Midwest, moved to CO in early spring 1966, bought a home in the foothills out side of Boulder, loved it until the mid '70s and realized we did not want to retire in an area that was being ruined by liberal transplants with their east coast and west coast life styles and philosophies. Sold our beautiful mountain home, took a 1 yr leave of absence from my chosen career and moved to a beautiful valley up against the rugged Bitterroot Mountains in western Montana in early 1980. Built our retirement home in the next 12 months on 14 acres with a stream. .....and became "debt free" (no mortgage) at age 48.
I then went back to work in the same job I had before, which I loved. Still involved lots of travel (about 80 to 85 %) through more than a dozen western states, B.C. and Alaska........and my wife could travel with me at her choosing.
Worked 13 more years and retired at age 62.....Had 13 wonderful yrs in retirement with my wife and then lost her to cancer. I have now been retired 23 yrs still living in the home I designed and built in 1980 and don't regret a single decision and/or choice I've made since 1955.
Extensive planning, sensible economic and monetary choices, not living a "high life style", but quite comfortable and hard work. These factors enabled my wife and I to succeed in our life before and during retirement............I wouldn't change a thing!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or