Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 01:06 AM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,122,467 times

Advertisements

In 1980 living in CO, I had been working in my chosen field since 1955, but wanted to leave CO and settle in the Bitterroot Valley of WESTERN MT., build our retirement home there on 14 acres I had purchased IN 1976. So I left my company of employment, asked for a year off to build my home, and then return to my former.position..................this is what I did, and worked the remaining13 years plus some extra months, and retired at age 62.
So, we ended up living in our custombuilt home on the property we loved ,then went back to my travelling industrial engineering job and retired at the end of 1993.
I had planned this out before I ever left Colorado, and my planning was the key to our success.
Had 12 wonderful years retirent living with my wife until she passed in 2005....I .have remained living in our retirement home and will properly die here........Could not be happier .............with my present circumstances.

I have everything I always planned on for retirement years (now in my 24 yr of retirement) .

I looked long and hard to find the property I wanted to build on, some 50 pieces of property spread over western Montana and portionsx of Idaho.
In the end it all worked out and this is my 38th full summer in this house.

As a suggestion:......research all aspects of your proposes move......investigatr all phases of the house you want to buy or build.
Check out ALL factors of the acerage or lot you want your house to be on.
Realize there are a couple of dozen things that will have to decide on and checkout:.......some are::roperty lines, easement, well and septic, power and phone lines, direction you want y our house to face, fencing. And it goes on and on a
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 06:01 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
Curious, what's the healthcare situation in your area. Is it available nearby or will you have to travel when the time comes. Also, during winter months do you stay put or do you leave your retirement home for warmer climates?

Old 08-09-2017, 06:33 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,217,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Curious, what's the healthcare situation in your area. Is it available nearby or will you have to travel when the time comes. Also, during winter months do you stay put or do you leave your retirement home for warmer climates?
Interested in the responses, I had the same questions. As well as, do you see pine martens or fisher on your property?

Old 08-09-2017, 07:00 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,699,800 times
I'm very happy for you. You planned things out and they have worked for you.

I think some of your ability to live out your dream can be connected to your high earning capability and the timing of when your dreams were implemented.
I can't imagine an employer today giving someone a year off to build their dream home and then hiring them back at the same position.
Most people would need to work that year to make ends meet and save for retirement.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:25 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
you are lucky it worked out for you and you never waivered.

I am living in the house I've always admired as a young child and I am ready to move!

I can't of course because of my pet situation. Maybe in three years.

After I move into a small place that requires little maintenance, I might move again. Guess I am a wanderer!

Old 08-09-2017, 08:35 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Curious, what's the healthcare situation in your area. Is it available nearby or will you have to travel when the time comes.
For some or many of us the healthcare factor is not something that will keep us from living their dream. Many of us would rather die in paradise than live next to a world class hospital in some big city.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:12 AM

547 posts, read 506,803 times
and then there's the matter of weather

Old 08-09-2017, 09:35 AM

2,070 posts, read 2,383,535 times
Maybe the traveling job could be done via auto rather than plane? Close proximity to a large airport is usually desirable for those who travel a lot for their work. But I have noticed on internet forums and House Hunters that some experienced software engineers and financial types are able to telecommute and work from home, either maintaining their job with their old company or doing consulting work, so are relocating to their dream locations. But only locations with decent internet access. Then they may physically visit the company site every few months. So the OP's different slant is becoming more popular and viable. Unfortunately my job did not allow this and there were few engineering jobs in my desired paradise although my school teacher friends were able to find jobs there.

Old 08-09-2017, 11:19 AM

708 posts, read 721,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane harry View Post
and then there's the matter of weather
The is made my mind I can not stand the northern winters anymore.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:06 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,560,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willistonite View Post
The is made my mind I can not stand the northern winters anymore.
LOL,
I think the bottom line is that one man's paradise is another mans hell on earth. Op sounds like he is extremely happy but 14 acres would cause me to commit suicide. I have been to some breath takingly beautiful spots in the west, would I want to live there?? uhmm no.

Everyone has a list of what's important to them and where they rank.

No more harsh winters is probably number one or two on my list, staying close to the family is also uber important.

One thing I will say, is that some times even with the best research, you don't know how you'll like it until you get there.

I researched the heck outta living in New Orleans. I knew all about the sub tropic summers but nothing in my research prepared me for spending an August there. can you say 12 surfaces of the sun!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement